The 35/30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

The 35/30-30

Post by AJMD429 »

Since Tycer posted one for sale, I got to reading on the cartridge. Neat round...!

Found this re-post supposedly from the original Reloading Bench Site:

"Historical Notes:

Although not widely known, the 35-30/30 is one of the oldest wildcats, having originated around the turn of the century. Its original purpose was to salvage worn out 32-40 and 32 Winchester Special barrels by reboring them to 35 caliber. The idea was also implied to improve the performance of Winchester Model 1894 rifles and carbines while staying within the cartridge length and pressure limitations of this action. The 35-30/30 cartridge is based on necking up 30-30 or 32 Winchester Special brass without any other change, although a few rifles have been made up to accept the Ackley Improved version of this case. Recently there has been a rebirth of interest in this cartridge by silhouette shooters who like to use cast bullets. In 1976, Arizona gunsmith Paul Marquart built several 35-30/30 silhouette rifles built on the Remington 788 action, and these quickly established a reputation as being both accurate and effective for the intended sport. Information on these rifles was published in The Fouling Shot, published by the Cast Bullet Association, and other shooters found it promising as a target and hunting cartridge. The 35-30/30 can be loaded to about equal the ballistics of the 35 Remington, and in fact, if Remington hadn't introduced their rimless 35 in 1908, it is highly possible that the necked up 30-30 would have become much more popular than it did. In any event, it is picking up a new but modest following.

General Comments:

With jacketed bullets there is little, if any, difference between the ballistics and killing power of the 35-30/30 and the 35 Remington. On paper the 35 Remington appears to have an edge over the 35-30/30 because it has about 14 percent greater powder capacity, but the factory 200 grain bullet loading rarely attains 2000 fps except in a 24 inch test barrel chiefly because of rather anemic loading pressures. As a cast bullet cartridge, the 35-30/30 with its longer neck permits use of cast bullets as heavy as 270 grains seated to a depth that will feed through magazine rifles designed for the 30-30. This is not possible with the 35 Remington and its short neck. In a strong action, the 35-30/30 can be loaded to deliver performance approaching the 375 Winchester. However, in a strong action, the 35 Remington can be stepped up quite a bit too. It is possible to attain 1800 fps with a 300 grain bullet in a strong action chambered 35-30/30, which would make it adequate for elk or moose at short range. It is a good cartridge for upping the performance of 30-30 rifles or for salvaging worn out 32 Special barrels. For a wildcat, it is rather a special purpose cartridge, but one that may fill the needs of a number of shooters. Dies are available from RCBS and chamber reamers from Clymer."

At one point I was going to convert a Savage 99 that I had laying around but I ended up selling it. The reason of doing it was the longer case neck so I had more of a selection of cast bullets to use. Also, dies are available at CH4D Tool & Die. As mentioned the performance is about the same as the 35 Remington. I do believe JES gunsmith does the conversion.

http://www.35caliber.com/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The 35/30-30

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I once had a Savage Model 219 hammerless single shot rifle in .30-30 which had a badly ringed bore (TWO rings--some people just don't learn fast....). I had Ward Koozer rebore it to .35-30 and shot it for a few years. Since it was a single shot there was no need for even reloading equipment except a powder scale and a .30-30 Lee Loader's case holder and decapping pin. Never hunted big game with it but it was very accurate with everything from .38 Special wadcutters to 200 gr. cast bullets made for the .35 Rem. Killed more than few snowshoe rabbits with the wadcutters; no muss, no fuss, DRT.

A very sensible wildcat. In those days guys who were sighting in their deer rifles just left .30-30 and .32 Special once fired cases on the range, ready for fire-forming.... Free is my favorite price! Not so common now.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That beautiful long neck would make this a wonderful cast bullet cartridge. If I didn't already have several 35 Remingtons I am sure I would have a 35/30 by now. Might end up with one yet if my 32 Special doesn't like cast (I haven't tried it out yet but may get there yet for our levergun challenge shoot...)
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Thanks for the thread. It sure is interesting; 35 is a good caliber.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Come now Earl, since when did nhaving a good rifle in one caliber mean you cant have a similar one. II am a pretty big 35Remington fan but always wanted to try the 35/30. And it arrived at the gun shop today. Will retrieve tomorrow and a be loading tomorrow evening for a range trip with it and the 336A DL I got a couple weeks ago in 32WS. Wahoo.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Marlin in .35 Remington, but a .35-30 might not be a bad idea. Most of the time on this forum, I hear the idea that a fatter bullet is usually better put forth. I don't have enough experience to have personal anecdotes either way on that. Still, a .35-30 couldn't be a bad cartridge to use. I like my Marlin 336 in .30-30, and a bigger bullet shouldn't harm the ability of that design to work. I have a Marlin Guide Gun, too. So, I guess I have tried an increased diameter bullet in the lever action design. It works for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:49 pm Come now Earl, since when did nhaving a good rifle in one caliber mean you cant have a similar one. II am a pretty big 35Remington fan but always wanted to try the 35/30. And it arrived at the gun shop today. Will retrieve tomorrow and a be loading tomorrow evening for a range trip with it and the 336A DL I got a couple weeks ago in 32WS. Wahoo.
Yeah, I was tempted! But I do have five in 35 Rem of which two haven't been fired in several years. I do like the looks of that 35/30, though.

Glad you have one more rifle to use that NOE mould on, Tom.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A .35-30 tossing 270-grain cast boolits. Wouldn't that be a daisy for elk in the timber?
Maybe something like this?

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 265B-D.png

8)
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Or this one:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php? ... 5go6tvb2d6

But I think with the length and/or weight might need to go with a 1:12 twist.

Mainehunter
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I always thought it sounded like a great round ever since 86er started playing with one. I think if Henry would come out with one and call it the .35 Henry it would be a great seller.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Found this thread again after doing a search. I'll be darned if I don't have a line on a circa 1952 Model 94 .32 Special that was rebored and chambered to .35-30 by Parker Ackley. I ordered the NOE 230-grain flat point GC mould today on their pre-Christmas sale and it should all come together within the fortnight. If I can get that NOE chugging along at 1900 plus, I will be a well-armed woods hunter.
8)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm Found this thread again after doing a search. I'll be darned if I don't have a line on a circa 1952 Model 94 .32 Special that was rebored and chambered to .35-30 by Parker Ackley. I ordered the NOE 230-grain flat point GC mould today on their pre-Christmas sale and it should all come together within the fortnight. If I can get that NOE chugging along at 1900 plus, I will be a well-armed woods hunter.
8)
There are woods in NM?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, pretty thick woods in the Lincoln National Forest, which starts just east of where I live. Snowing up there right now, and a lotta elk live there, too. I am also on the search for a wild hog eradication exercise, and believe this chambering would be gangbusters for the application.
8)
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am at deer.camp.at the moment so I cannot give me load info but.I have found it very accurate and packs a punch in a 30/30 sized package.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

The more I read about this cartridge the more I think my 788 needs a new mission. I don't own a .35 Remington, but have wanted one for years. This might be even better.
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 pm Blaine, pretty thick woods in the Lincoln National Forest, which starts just east of where I live. Snowing up there right now, and a lotta elk live there, too. I am also on the search for a wild hog eradication exercise, and believe this chambering would be gangbusters for the application.
8)
I have a 94BB AE 375 I'm saving for a hog hunt someday. Tie one to a tree for me. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Great thread...
Thanks for bringing it back up. I was unaware of the history of the 35/30-30.
It does get the brain cells churning..!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ford, eager to hear from you when you get home from deer camp.
Guys, here is the code for the NOE sale, which ends tomorrow. Twenty percent off everything:

Don't miss your chance to take advantage of NOE's exclusive December offer! This sale is for 20% off our entire stock.
Offer ends Friday, 12/08/2017 at 11:00 PM MT
Enter discount code a641ebe4 at check out. Offer ends 12/08/2017 at 11:00 PM MT, and cannot be combined with any other promotional offer's. Not valid on previously placed orders.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm Found this thread again after doing a search. I'll be darned if I don't have a line on a circa 1952 Model 94 .32 Special that was rebored and chambered to .35-30 by Parker Ackley. I ordered the NOE 230-grain flat point GC mould today on their pre-Christmas sale and it should all come together within the fortnight. If I can get that NOE chugging along at 1900 plus, I will be a well-armed woods hunter.
8)
I hope you get that, I'd sell something just to make room for it if need be. What a piece of history. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Very interesting thread. Have a couple old .303 Savages ... got me thinking.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:30 pm I am at deer.camp.at the moment so I cannot give me load info but.I have found it very accurate and packs a punch in a 30/30 sized package.
Tom, here are the pics you wanted me to post for you. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks Blaine. That is exactly how I found that buck after shooting him. He is not posed. That was the first day I got to hunt after Mrs.fordwannabe had her heart attack so it was a good hunt. The target is a picture of 5 shots at 50 yards with a 230 grain gc from a NOE mold using Ben's red lube.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 pm Thanks Blaine. That is exactly how I found that buck after shooting him. He is not posed. That was the first day I got to hunt after Mrs.fordwannabe had her heart attack so it was a good hunt. The target is a picture of 5 shots at 50 yards with a 230 grain gc from a NOE mold using Ben's red lube.
Nice looking buck! :) I’m hoping the Mrs. is doing better?

Mainehunter
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow, nice buck and accurate handload!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Got home today and Mrs fordwannabe seems fine a little cranky but fine. As for the 35/30 load I used
230 grain NOE gas check
WQWW
Sized .360
26.0 grains IMR 4198
AOL 2.410
This is the load I used in my gun and so far it has been safe. This should be worked up to and is not holy writ that it would be safe in your gun.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Ford!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You betcha. Have fun with it.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Anybody that’s interested there’s been been some chater over at the Lee Loader forum under rifle discussion regarding the cartridge.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I wish I’d shot enough to need this. That’d be a lot of fresh meat! Now I’m hungry for breakfast.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Had most of It chunked for snack sticks after taking some of the prime cuts. I dropped off 48 lbs of chunks this morning at the butcher. This is the first time in years I am not making the snack sticks with another buddy of mine...his garage where we made them, burned to the ground on opening day of buck season. Oops. Tom