Predator calls

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Predator calls

Post by 2ndovc »

Those of you that are using electronic calls what do you like as far as brand and features?
We used to use a dying rabbit tape in an old cassette player but never had any real success. Now that my Dad has kind of re-discovered his Model 70/ 250 Savage he wants to give it another try. I told him I'd buy a new caller since I've been thinking about it for awhile and of course I'll have to have a new varmint rifle to go with it. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Predator calls

Post by gamekeeper »

I have always relied on just squeaking with my lips and hand but have been looking lately at some of the electric calls, so I too would like to know which ones work.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Coyotes?
I heard they're like flies up in your neck of the woods...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Yep! They're even worse up around our cabin in north west PA.

I see them around our place but they're usually moving fast and I'm outside doing something else. I'll have to use a .22 at home since we're on the edge of the city limits.

jb 8)

TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have a fox pro. Numerous call sounds. I've called foxes, bobcat, crows with little effort. AA and 9v powered, compact size, plenty volume.

TomF
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I have a Primos TurboDogg. Compact and easy to carry, good volume, uses AA batteries, remote good for at least 100 yards. Comes with several dozen sounds loaded on it, plus a couple of pre-programmed "hunts", and others are easily downloadable from the Primos website. The only problem I have had with it is learning to make myself absolutely ready to shoot before I hit the Play button, 'cause if there's a 'yote within range he's there RIGHT NOW. :o
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:58 amThose of you that are using electronic calls what do you like as far as brand and features?
#1 = FoxPro

#2 = FoxPro

#3 = FoxPro

I'd suggest you start off with a basic model like the "Inferno" and then upgrade after a couple of years -- IF you really do use it as much as you think you will.

That will also give you insight into what sounds or features you might want -- or which ones you'll never use or need. "Too many options" can lull a newbie hunter into overconfidence and they will often overuse or misuse the call -- instead of using his head and using the call correctly, in my experience.

You can order direct from FoxPro or go through AllPredatorCalls dot com.

Can't go wrong with FoxPro, did I mention that ? ? ? :wink:

I have no connections to the company, other than I'm on my 2nd one, after upgrading from a basic entry-level model.

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks guys!!

The Fox Pro was the first one that came up when I started looking at them. I have a couple of gift cards for Cabela's so that will work out quite nicely.
I'll put up a picture of the new varmint rifle when I can get some daylight. Feel like a vampire this time of year. :P

jb 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've been successfully using an old school, motorcycle battery powered, Johnny Stewart tape deck caller - which I bought over 20 years ago.

The only additions I made were a carry bag, an extra 50' of speaker cord (to remove the sound further away from me), and a dozen of different predator-calling cassettes.

The dying rabbit tapes/calls pull in Red & Grey Fox like nobody's business, and I'm just starting to experiment with some of the other sounds (like woodpecker/etc) to start drawing in coyote.(It's a work in progress ;) )

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Kind of Rube Goldberg (can we say that anymore?) but the last one I took was with a crossbow at about 20 yds. I used a recording on my Iphone of my cat wanting to be fed. I connected the phone to a Milwaukee Bluetooth M12 speaker. It provided enough volume for the expected short distance needed.

Now these are urban coyotes and small pets are their favorite food. Darned thing obviously had never been hunted, had no fear of humans and came right in like I rang a dinner bell.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Fox Pro
They are lightweight and can hold a dozen up to hundreds of calls.
If the coyotes don't respond to rabbit in distress calls, try something else with the click of a button.
I played a "coyote pup in distress" call once and within seconds had so many coyotes literally on top of me that I had trouble choosing a target. I managed to get one confirmed out of a half dozen sighted.
If you can hear more than one band of coyotes hollering, try a territorial call.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

With today's technology, you can use a bluetooth speaker and download calls to your phone. Cheapest way in and pretty effective.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

vancelw wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 pm With today's technology, you can use a bluetooth speaker and download calls to your phone. Cheapest way in and pretty effective.
Hmm, now why didn't I think of that. :D
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 am
vancelw wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 pm With today's technology, you can use a bluetooth speaker and download calls to your phone. Cheapest way in and pretty effective.
'Cause we're old! :D
I probably think I invented that idea, but in reality I heard of someone doing it...then forgot... :cry:
I have a low-tech cousin that does a LOT of varminting. He uses a Fox-Pro caller and mouth calls, but he also has sounds on his (flip) phone for emergencies.

It would be nice to find a weatherproof bluetooth speaker. Maybe even an impact resistant one, so you could toss it out ahead of you if you were short on set-up time.
To mem the drawback would be the brightness and the distraction of the screen. Those touch screens are hard to operate without looking. But, still, such a setup would be 1/6 the size and weight of my small FoxPro.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I wanted to get into coyote hunting after they killed my dog. I didn't want to spend hundreds on a FoxPro. I found an electronic call called ICOtec on Amazon. About $75. It has a wireless remote that claims its good to 200 yards although mine is maybe good to 100. Sounds awesome and plenty of calls programmed into it. I bought that and a mojo critter. So far it works great and I can always upgrade to a FoxPro later.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

vancelw wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:51 am
I probably think I invented that idea, but in reality I heard of someone doing it...then forgot... :cry:
I have a low-tech cousin that does a LOT of varminting. He uses a Fox-Pro caller and mouth calls, but he also has sounds on his (flip) phone for emergencies.

It would be nice to find a weatherproof bluetooth speaker. Maybe even an impact resistant one, so you could toss it out ahead of you if you were short on set-up time.
To mem the drawback would be the brightness and the distraction of the screen. Those touch screens are hard to operate without looking. But, still, such a setup would be 1/6 the size and weight of my small FoxPro.
Did you read the entire thread?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well I picked up a Fox Pro Patriot today at Cabela's. It was 55sale and with a couple of gift cards I paid about $75 for it. Figured that would be a good start.

Didn't have time to try it outside this evening but it works great on my dogs!
I'll see if anything is around in the morning.

jb 8)

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Aw...did you get your feelings hurt because I didn't read yours? :cry:
It'll be okay. No one will take your gold star from you.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Always wondered how they make them. Do they torture bunnies in a recording studio?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

vancelw wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:55 pm

No hurt feelings, but I like to keep my friends from goofing up. Think of it as a teaching moment. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 pm
vancelw wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:55 pm
No hurt feelings, but I like to keep my friends from goofing up. Think of it as a teaching moment. :mrgreen:
Or a passive-agressive moment.
I generally read the OP and respond to his/her question. Everyone else is secondary.
Plus, I'm a a busy, busy man and don't have time to microanalyze every thread response.
Busy training my puppy, shooting deer, drinking coffee...and other very important tasks.
My puppy doesn't care much about all this talk of electronic calls.
River 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Waiting to see results! I'm curious here.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.