The incorrigible…...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

The incorrigible…...

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The incorrigible…...

Post by Sixgun »

A agree...use smokeless....I've used around 10 grains of Unique with a patch in a 54 Thompson......remember, when Bill Ruger built his first Ruger Old Army, he loaded up a hefty charge of Bullseye with the 45 round ball and shot that....He figured if that did not blow it up, nothing would. Why filth it all up with black-----6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun, I'm still wondering why that according to the instruction manual, I can use smokeless in my Savage ML-10 muzzleloader, yet everyone says not to do it in ANY muzzleloader. Somehow I don't think the inherent design of a muzzleloader versus a breechloader is the issue. I think the strength of the action and the steel is what matters. Of course some muzzleloaders are soft and different steel, even if modern manufacture, but I ALSO realize that pressure curves for SOME smokeless powders CAN duplicate black powder ones, and smokeless certainly seems less hygroscopic and less prone to rusting things if not meticulously cleaned right away.

I do like the 'feel' and the smoke of black powder sometimes, but have seen too many experts fire many rounds from muzzleloaders using 5744 and SR4759 to think that all smokeless powders are forbidden.

Anyway, if you are talking about just using it for blowing out 'crud' before your actual (black powder) load, I'd be hard pressed to find any logical reason that could be a bad thing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Using oil is the problem.
Hot water to clean and make a thick grease from animal fat and some olive oil. Coat the bore and outside whilst hot. Store muzzle down.

Popping a cap prior to loading can block a nipple. Insert a rod and cleaning patch to create some back pressure or just arrogant idiot the nipple after popping a cap.
Should be fine then.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I only shoot muzzle loader to hunt deer with so don't have to go through this very often but here is my regimen. I clean with 10:1 Ballistol mixture and oil with a patch wetted with straight Ballistol before storage. If I remember to do it, I like to wipe the bore with a damp patch, (Ballistol) after a month or so.
Before loading I pour a little acetone or methanol down the barrel, swab with clean patch and then use compressed air to dry. Then I snap a cap and pour the powder down. Works for me.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ray wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 pm
……muzzleloading caplock !

I go nearly two decades without a misfire then I get a spate of them….

I am trying to dry and clear the pyro path

I used to experience the same thing with my caplock rifles, but since I switched from Pyrodex to Holy Black (I use FFFg) about 25 years ago, the issue hasn't yet recurred.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The reason why manufacturers tell you NOT to use smokeless in a muzzleloader is the same reason your not supposed to use smokeless powder in cartridge guns designed and manufactured during the black powder days.

Yes....they are right...it's very easy to make a small mistake that leads to a big problem.

I've shot tens of thousands of rounds from rifles and handguns made from the 1870's-smokeless era. You had better know what you are doing, take no chances, be extremely knowledgeable about powder pressure curves, bullet diameters, primers, outside temperatures or you could eat steel or harm the person next to you.

You have to be able to read between the lines and make that decision for yourself....knowledge is power.

This happened to me....not from an overload but continued shooting of "warm loads" over a period of close to thirty years in a black powder 1886 in 45-90. I still have the scars. Even back in '03 this was a 4K rifle. ---6

I just took this picture....constant reminder to be careful

Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had that problem all the time with a .54 Renegade. Then a fella said that taking the warm rifle out into the cold cause it to sweat on the inside. I'd keep the rifle in the cold trunk the night before and load a cold gun. "Seemed" like it helped a bit.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ray wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:33 am
Nath wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:00 am Using oil is the problem.
Hot water to clean and make a thick grease from animal fat and some olive oil. Coat the bore and outside whilst hot. Store muzzle down.

Popping a cap prior to loading can block a nipple. Insert a rod and cleaning patch to create some back pressure or just arrogant idiot the nipple after popping a cap.
Should be fine then.

N.
you'll have to translate that phrase from the queen's english to stiff-necked colonial rebel english so as I can comprehend it….

we will have to agree to disagree on the use of oil (i use 1/7 to 1/10 ratio ballistol to water depending on type/style of gun)….do you use any type of metal preservative in the flash channel and cone ?
:lol: so sorry, I never proof read my reply.
The swear filter went nuts. I said p.r.i.c.k the nipple.

No I don't lube the flash channel, the hot water dissolves any salts, no serious corrosion should take place. It doesn't with my guns.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I would change the nipple, if still miss/hanging I'd try your smokeless technique.
Never use oil on a front stuffer!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Bringing a cold rifle into a warm moist area will cause it to sweat and condense.
I clean all oils from inside the barrel and nipple flash channel using alcohol or other solvent. Allow the solvent to completely dry
before loading the gun. Load her up.
I swab the bore with a light coating of lube from muzzle down to the bullet. I also grease the threads of the nipple with wonder lube, being carefull mot to get any inside the flash channel. Don't bring the rifle into a warm moist area during the entire hunting season. My rifles fire every time when I do the above. Washington is well known for it's wet hunting seasons. Keep your powder dry !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW

IME, the loaded gun (w/o a cap, of course) can be safely moved from the outdoors/cold inside a warmer area, but the trick is to put it into a heavy/thick (insulated soft gun case before bringing it inside.

I always place a leather tab onto the in-capped nipple, though - to avoid any moisture ingress through the ignition channel.

(I do the same with my flinchlocks, temporarily plugging the ignition vent with a wooden toothpick)

I usually let the gun warm up to the indoor temperature while it's still inside the closed case, very gradually (usually overnite, at least) to avoid condensation inside the barrel.