Encoding: base64

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Encoding: base64

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Most of the junk mail I've been receiving these past few weeks are just gibberish and the 3rd line in the header is "Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64". Searching I find that "Base64 is a group of similar binary-to-text encoding schemes that represent binary data in an ASCII string format by translating it into a radix-64 representation." which tells me absolutely nothing. In plain language can anyone tell me what this is and why it's happening? I'm currently getting 6 or more junk e-mails a day and I'm unsubscribing when I can and adding the others to the blocked sender's list but nothing seems to stop them and I often see the same offer repeating. I realize junk mail is a FOL but I'm getting a little tired of it and sometimes wish I could uncode them so I could get a good laugh before I delete them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Encoding: base64

Post by GunnyMack »

I have noticed when an account has been hacked, yours or someone you know, the junk emails really pick up. Could be time for password change on you account just to make sure your info is safe.

Must be nice to be a hacker, they just sit at a keyboard and drive the rest of us crazy with stupid stuff like you are talking about.
Get caught hacking and have your fingernails pulled out- THAT WOULD BE JUSTICE!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Quoted Printable, aka Base64, allows senders to successfully encode an XML document into an email.

Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a computer language that defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a format that is both human-readable and machine-readable.

IOW, they are tools that allow email content to be reliably transferred across systems that may corrupt the raw source - enabling & ensuring that whatever (mail) gets through.

Think of them as using a bow to launch & deliver an arrow ILO just throwing the arrow by hand. :mrgreen:

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Learn sumthin new every day!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!