QoD (Question of the Day:)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

QoD (Question of the Day:)

Post by Old Ironsights »

If told you could pick up a 2017 NIB compact doublestack 9mm with 2 mags RETAIL for $178 OTD... what would you NOT buy?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: QoD (Question of the Day:)

Post by Blaine »

That's a little sketchy on details... :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:22 pm That's a little sketchy on details... :)
Yeah, a pig in a poke at this point, which my dear old Dad said not to buy.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Need a brand and a little more information.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I would not buy anything but a Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Sig, HK, Beretta,...you get the idea, there are others (good ones)but I'm brain dead at the moment....fired a couple hundred of rounds in competition today......anyway, ..with guns, you get what you pay for...no Bersa, Sterling, or other cheap junk.......I want a gun that will give me thousands of rounds of trouble free aggravation.......there's enough aggravation in life today.....like the John Deere tractor/bailer I had to follow for 11 miles at 20 mph......hilly, curvy road and could not pass.......I'm aggravated and don't need to discuss Junk guns......not to mention the crappy 26x40, 21x40, and 24x40 scores in silhouette today......a child's scores.....oh!....stay away from cheap guns, they will start to fall apart after several hundred rounds.......-----6
Model A Uzi’s
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If there's no paperwork and the serial number's been removed... why not?

:oops: :lol: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:17 pm If there's no paperwork and the serial number's been removed... why not?

:oops: :lol: :lol:
Ask me why my Winchester Model 72 had to be explained to Ft Lewis CID at the Sportsmen's Range. I dang near had to go into their office on that one. (They never HAD a serial #...if you remove a # it's a felony) :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, the local Fun Store decided to put a large pile of 2017 Taurus PT111 G2s on sale for $159 ($178 otd).

Not something I would EDC (that's what the 1911 CCO is for), but for a glove-box/throw-away one could do a LOT worse - even on the Used market. (Heck, the HiPoint's on sale cost nearly as much...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAol3jwKXvc

So far, what I like about it is that for a cheap gun it seems surprisingly reliable, eating the first 200 rounds of mixed random 9mm without a hiccough. I also like that, unlike my G27, it is a SA/DA with multi-strike, which is less important on the range than the ability to dry fire at home without a slide rack (also a nice feature when using a LaserLyte training dingus).

But really, this is about the only time I can remember buying a pistol "just because" especially since the Because was the bank account - and not in the Kreighoff way - without doing any research.

So... I am gratified to see that Jeff likes it, and the bad reviews are not nearly as critical as even the bad reviews of HiPoints.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have two in 9mm and one in 40 caliber and they all are very accurate. These are striker fired double action pistols that will also take a S&W 3rd generation magazine.
I installed night sights on the 40 and one of the 9mm's. I gave a 9mm to my daughter and wouldn't have if I didn't have confidence in these pistols.

I have fired over 1000 rounds through the 9mm and 40 without a malfunction. The double action feature allows you to pull the trigger again in the event of a misfire which is something you can't do with a Glock.

I use these pistols for concealed carry and night stand duty. I have nicer S&W's and Ruger pistols that will work but if have to use one of them they are going to the police lab and who knows when they will be returned.

These pistols are made much better than the Glock's I carried as a police officer 20 years ago.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Just Because (I'm still trying to figure out Pictures in a post PhotoSuckIt world)...
KIMG0114 1.jpg
KIMG0115 1.jpg
KIMG0116 1.jpg
Almost twice the Ammo for 1/3 the cost... but I still prefer the 1911. The longer barrel balances better, and the trigger (polished in a way that I don't think is possible on a Striker gun) is far superior.

But still...

This gives me an inexpensive 9 in/for both my vehicles - and, unlike my 1911 or NAA .32, one I wouldn't mind "disappearing" when out of State in "hostile territory" if necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

elmo123 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 pm I have two in 9mm and one in 40 caliber and they all are very accurate. These are striker fired double action pistols that will also take a S&W 3rd generation magazine.
I installed night sights on the 40 and one of the 9mm's. I gave a 9mm to my daughter and wouldn't have if I didn't have confidence in these pistols.

I have fired over 1000 rounds through the 9mm and 40 without a malfunction. The double action feature allows you to pull the trigger again in the event of a misfire which is something you can't do with a Glock.

I use these pistols for concealed carry and night stand duty. I have nicer S&W's and Ruger pistols that will work but if have to use one of them they are going to the police lab and who knows when they will be returned.

These pistols are made much better than the Glock's I carried as a police officer 20 years ago.
I Grok. Fortunately I live in a pro-ccw State, so if I have to use my EDC I'm better off than most.

Sadly, I must travel, so when I do, I want to have something I can afford to write off.

Ziggy (my P226 clone) is good, but at this price point the P111 is better.

So Ziggy stays in the Truck, but Bully gets the Subaru and subsequent trips to Urban MinnesoDurkaDurka...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:06 pm If told you could pick up a 2017 NIB compact doublestack 9mm with 2 mags RETAIL for $178 OTD... what would you NOT buy?
Pretty much everything in that group! :twisted: :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ray wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 am there is a trite saying amongst taurus peoples that goes something like this:

" it is not a matter of i f any new taurus has to be sent back to miami for warranty work but w h e n ! "
It may be because it is a Beretta patent, but I've not really heard of problems with the PT-92/99 guns. One of mine has 8-9,000 rounds through it and no problems except one of the original factory magazines died after I dropped on a concrete floor. I use MecGars in it mostly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ray wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 am there is a trite saying amongst taurus peoples that goes something like this:

" it is not a matter of i f any new taurus has to be sent back to miami for warranty work but w h e n ! "
Why on earth would I want to send a <$200 gun out to "get fixed"? Overnight charges alone cost nearly that much.

It's a car gun. Kept within reach but shot little after the break in period. If it doesn't break during the break-in 500, it's mot likely to. If it breaks in the first 500 rounds then I will fix it myself or throw it away.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

They claim older people are too set in their ways to have an open mind.....that's me.....and I blame first hand experience. Over the many years I've been playing with guns, I've seen too many malfunctions with ALL brands of semi autos....and some brands of revolvers. My best bud owns Targetmaster that has a 20 lane indoor shooting range and gun rental. I hear ALL the stories and the "gun send backs". I have a Smith Model 59 double stack 9 that I bought new in ''76? I shot that gun until the cows came home with every available type of handload and factory ammo you could think of. A couple of thou with perfect functioning. I used to brag about its reliability and one day 10 years or so later I even told one guy, "watch this, I have not shot this gun in a month or two and this baby will rip off 12 rounds like nobodies business." (I always underload full cap mags by 2 rounds). The Smith was loaded with factory Black Talons and the first shot in the tube went off fine and then stove piped. This was my carry gun at the time.

Experiences like this ruin your perception of semi autos for life. I have never had this issue with a revolver, especially a single action. My vote for ultimate reliability goes to a Ruger or Colt single action. There have been times with double actions using handloads with cast bullets that were not set in the cylinder all the way or a high primer, but that's a user issue.

Read carefully----this may save your life....--Ok, if it's a play gun, I'll relent. It's always the guns we let slip out of our conscienceness that go bad when we need them most....and yes, you younguns, guns CAN DETECT stress. That issue comes at a time when the gun is most needed and we fail to grip the gun properly or are pulling and yanking on the wrong parts.

That's why I choose a revolver....Smith & Wesson, Colt, or Ruger.
Model A Uzi’s
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If the serial number has a D in it, it is a buy for me
Serial number with A or B means JUNK!!! Series C is a qualified MAYBE.
The series D were produced after they hired the VP of quality control from Beretta as the CEO for Taurus. The difference is so obvious that Ronnie Milsap can see it. I have become a fan of Taurus. I must admit that my liking them is only from the D series. I never bought one until the new CEO had time to bring the quality up.
D. Brian Casady
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

piller wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:22 pm If the serial number has a D in it, it is a buy for me
Serial number with A or B means JUNK!!! Series C is a qualified MAYBE.
The series D were produced after they hired the VP of quality control from Beretta as the CEO for Taurus. The difference is so obvious that Ronnie Milsap can see it. I have become a fan of Taurus. I must admit that my liking them is only from the D series. I never bought one until the new CEO had time to bring the quality up.
Don't know about a "D". This is a TKT sn. with a mfg date of 3/17 and a warehouse release date of 7/14/17...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The date is in the D series. It should be just fine.
D. Brian Casady
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

piller wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 pm The date is in the D series. It should be just fine.
So far I've been pleased. It and 3 extra mags fit nicely in a fanny pack I keep behind the seat. Not a single bobble at the range, though I found the overly complicated "trigger safety" dingus to be questionable (far more so than the simple Glock style paddle... which I also disliked), so, since I'm a 1911 frame safety guy anyway, I "accidentally broke" the silly thing. I put those trigger dinguses in the same category as "magazine safeties" that need to be "accidentally broken" 5 seconds before you put the first Mag in. (did that to a Star "Firestar" .40 a decade+ ago. Funny, the lack of a "magazine safety" didn't cause the gun to leap off the table and shoot me...) Besides, plenty of other "safeties" on it for when there is nothing in the trigger well, so... meh. Muscle memory has the thumb safety covered so all is good.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Ironsights wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:06 pm If told you could pick up a 2017 NIB compact doublestack 9mm with 2 mags RETAIL for $178 OTD... what would you NOT buy?

Well, the local Fun Store decided to put a large pile of 2017 Taurus PT111 G2s on sale for $159 ($178 otd).

I wouldn't buy one for the same reason that they haven't sold (yet) - Taurus handguns are (generaly) a drug on the market.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

They had the PT140s as well as the PT111s for about the same money.

I think the stack of 9s sold out in about 2 hours. The smaller stack of .40s took almost until noon to go.

I went with the 9 only because I already have several thousand rounds.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I've noticed several sales on Taurus handguns the last few months :?: I bought a stainless M85 2" .38 revolver myself in July that the particular distributer had on sale/discount.

I can say that I've had reasonable luck with Taurus products...although plenty of shooters wouldn't touch one with a stick. They have a fair sized following of owners that love their Taurus handguns. The new M85 revolver I bought works and shoots superb.