After the storm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

After the storm

Post by Rusty »

Hey all. We lost power @ 7:45 Sunday night. That's when the blowing started to get interesting. We gut pounded on fill 12:15, that's when the eye passed over. At 01:37 it started up again but not nearly as intense. We're still without power even though a lot of people around us have been restored. There are 2 blown fuses on the poles between my house and the main feed. Maybe it will happen today.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: After the storm

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad to hear that you are safe... :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

During hurricane Sandy we went without power 14 days and 15 hours. The wind snapped an oak tree about 20' up which pushed another over across the driveway through the power lines into 2 other trees.
That tree pulled on the power lines hard enough to snap the pole with transformer. The mineral oil in the transformer puked all over my paved driveway. Took about a year to go away.
The crew that finally replaced the pole, transformer and lines were from NC, great bunch of guys! I had to show my collection of antlers after one of them saw a rack nailed to shed wall.
The head guy told me 'I've never seen such an out dated electrical system'

If you get your fuses fixed in a couple days count yourself LUCKY!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Glad to hear you're OK and I hope you get that power back on soon. Ice storms here are our big power killers, that's why I have a welding machine that's also a 10KW generator.
I have a cousin near Orlando, (Ocoee) I should call to check on her and her groves.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, glad to hear that you are OK. One of the stores belonging to the company I work for was flooded in the Kingwood section of Houston. It is only about a mile and a half from a store which had only minor damage. The store with minor damage is up and running, but the phone lines are going down every day. They come back up about 45 minutes to an hour later. The customers are mostly refusing to accept that the store has no control over that. :roll: :roll: :roll: The company has requested volunteers to go to Houston and help keep stores open while the employees from the area take the necessary time off for home and family issues from Harvey. The company is putting the volunteers up in a Marriott hotel connected to Bush intercontinental airport. Seems rather a nice gesture to me. We keep the pharmacies open to the public and help the employees at the same time. Some areas show no damage, and other areas look as if they have been bombed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Having no power is no fun. Hope your home is intact.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

glad to hear you made it through ok and safe. Any damage?
My yard was trashed.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Glad to hear you're doing OK. Hope the electricity comes back up soon. Funny how attached we get to modern conveniences.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Too bad underground utilities are not mandated. Surely, it's worth the expense.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My kid sis escaped Cape Coral on Thursday afternoon, and 18 hours of driving later was in Alpharetta, Ga. staying with our nephew and his family. Only thing is Irma was hot on her heals so she experienced the storm anyways. She is on dialysis so happy to hear the clinic up north had backup generators. She heads home tomorrow and when she gets there she'll have some roof shingles replaced. Worse part is going to be cleaning out her fridge and freezer after a few days of no electricity.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ji, glad she is OK. Just looking around Houston I am seeing a few places with a lot of damage. For the most part, it is looking good. Along the interstates and around Bush intercontinental airport it doesnt show mch damage.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 pmToo bad underground utilities are not mandated. Surely, it's worth the expense.
According to a lineman friend of mine, underground you are much more limited in voltage, so can't do the huge transmission lines, but the biggest reason is that in many areas washouts, floods, and landslides take out more lines than wind, plus repairs are often much harder.

So the companies do some underground, and some above, depending on their assessment of risk and benefit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 pm Too bad underground utilities are not mandated. Surely, it's worth the expense.

U/G utilities are still in harm's way if/when flood waters keep the transformer/connections/etc submerged - especially salt water folding.

I'm glad to hear that so many folks came through OK (alive),

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well guys, I got home from work this morning and the power was here. I always kill the power at the main breaker whenever we have an event like this. Our neighbors didn't in 2005 when Charlie came thru and a day after the power came on a radio in the kitchen set the house on fire, it was a total loss. I hit our main breaker and THERE WAS LIGHT!.
When Charlie came thru in 2005 something occurred to me. Without that thin copper thread that runs from pole to pole this country is no better than any dirt world country you'd like to name. You might even say they have the advantage.
There are tons and tons of oak trees down everywhere. I'd say firewood will be dirt cheap this winter, just a prediction. I lost quite a few myself on the back of my property but I rarely get back there any more anyway.I know from the back porch I can see daylight where there used to be shade.
All souls are safe and none of our family suffered any property damage.

God is good!

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man...you guys get all the action. We seldom have anything like that around here...no tornados, weak hurricanes once every five years, no earthquakes, seldom snow over a foot.....rarely temps under 0......no brush fires or floods.......really gets boring.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great news Rusty. Time to sharpen the chainsaw blade ...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Glad all came through ok and your safe.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been doing research on growin mushrooms in Florida. Shiitakes and oyster mushrooms seem to be possible in all the downed oak we have around now.

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Glad you got through it okay, I was pretty lucky myself, power was only out for an hour and very minimal damage to the house(one shingle from a neighbor's house imbedded itself in the side of my house). Lots of others had it way worse, tornados touched down within 1/2 mile of my house, no one hurt but lots of property damage. Phone and cable finally came back yesterday.