Rare H&R Top-break: Model 299 "New Defender"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Rare H&R Top-break: Model 299 "New Defender"

Post by Old No7 »

This is what you get when you combine the frame and features of an H&R Model 999 Sportsman -- with the concealability of an "Avenging Angel" cut-down handgun...

You get the Model 299 "New Defender".

H&R New Defender 01 (Small).jpg

The late Bill Goforth (author of THE book on H&R Arms) described it this way:
"Model 299, New Defender: 1935 to 1939. Large frame top-break revolver, 22 rimfire caliber, 9-shot cylinder capacity, 2 inch barrel only, adjustable sights, one-piece walnut grip, pocket size, marked on right side of barrel with model name and caliber, modified 'Rice Frame' (birdshead), automatic cylinder stop, finger-rest trigger guard. Overall length only 6¼ inches, serial number range unknown, but is believed to be in the same series as the Model 999 Sportsman."

Here's a period ad for it too -- and I like that price!

H&R New Defender Ad 01.jpg

One of these rare H&R's sold in July 2017 on GB for over $800, in about the same condition! :shock:

I'm glad to say I snagged this one for only $175 -- and now I just need to get it out to the range and shoot it. The action rivals the best of my 999 Sportsman's, just as you'd expect. I'll bet this will be a fun one -- which will probably garner some second looks from other shooters.

Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Rare H&R Top-break: Model 299 "New Defender"

Post by J Miller »

Old No 7,

I worked with Bill Goforth some years back dating my 999 and at that time he asked me if I'd mind him using pics of my revolver in his book. I told him to go ahead. Then I found out he'd died. Book wasn't finished then.

Can you tell me where to get a copy of his book? I'd still like to have it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Neat little gun, it'd be a dandy on the trapline!

Eric
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

J Miller wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm Old No 7
Joe
Hi Joe:

It's a hardcover, so not inexpensive, but I found the best price on Amazon. Just search for "H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986" by W.E. "Bill" Goforth (1st Edition, Hardcover)

Much of the H&R info in my files came from Bill, and I believe that Jim Hauff and Jim Ritchie -- 2 other H&R collectors -- stepped in to help finish the book after Bill passed. Unless I'm mistaken, I think both Jim's are gone now too (Jim H used to post as "32'Magnum" on message boards).

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 pm
J Miller wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm Old No 7
Joe
Hi Joe:

It's a hardcover, so not inexpensive, but I found the best price on Amazon. Just search for "H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986" by W.E. "Bill" Goforth (1st Edition, Hardcover)

Much of the H&R info in my files came from Bill, and I believe that Jim Hauff and Jim Ritchie -- 2 other H&R collectors -- stepped in to help finish the book after Bill passed. Unless I'm mistaken, I think both Jim's are gone now too (Jim H used to post as "32'Magnum" on message boards).

Good luck.

Old No7
Thanks, I found it. Now to put the funds together to get my copy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now that is a COOL twist on the "avenging angel" concept. And factory to boot? VERY cool! 8) 8) 8)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That is an interesting top break indeed..… 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've got a 999, it's a 6" like most, just 'found'it again in my TO DO pile. It needs parts that I just haven't found/ordered yet. It was a basket case when it came to me.needs a hand(pawl) and a set of grips.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a very cool little revolver. I had a 999 years ago. I am a sucker for top-breaks.