Ok I'm confused Marlin 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Ok I'm confused Marlin 1894

Post by fordwannabe »

A couple months ago I was at an auction and bought a frankengun Marlin 1894. It is a 1970's Marlin 1894 straight grip, saddle ring carbine presumably was in 44 mag. It now has a properly marked older Marlin barrel in 38-40. The barrel has all the Marlin firearms lines with address blah blah. Caliber markings appear to be factory correct, with a post type front sight, now the confusing part, no rear sight slot? What the heck is it? Why would it not have a dovetail? Thanks for any ideas.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ok I'm confused Marlin 1894

Post by AJMD429 »

I found a Marlin factory barrel (for $108 8) ) from Numrich a few years ago, in 45 Colt, with factory markings, and put it on my 1970's 1894 in 44 Mag. ALL the other parts are the same between those chamberings, so it was an easy way to get a round-barreled 1894 in 45 Colt without big bucks. The gun was already 'non-collectible' due to having rusted and then refinished by Parkerizing.

That barrel didn't have any sight dovetailing or drilling in it for sights either, if I recall (I will double check). It did have the forend dovetail cut though. Didn't matter to me, as I keep a Burris Fastfire-II and a LaserMax pistol laser on a scope-base mounted in the receiver holes. (...hey, I told you it wasn't a 'collectible'... :lol: ....but loaded with subsonic 950 fps flatnoses, it is a near-perfect gun to grab on the farm if something goes wrong outside, day OR night...!)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I did the same as AJMD429 and bought a rusted up 1894 and the seller had a Marlin octagon barrel in 45 Colt, marked "Cowboy", it did have a rear sight dovetail. After cutting to 17" adding a new front dovetail and finding just the right rear sight, I got it installed.
I've got it all re-timed to run the Cowboy 45 Special, (which is now available direct from Starline), I have to get off my kiester and get on with polishing and off to Turnbull to lipstick on this pig!

As to WHY the factory didn't cut a rear dovetail... I think they overstocked on 45 Colt barrels and finally just sold all of the stock off to Numrich in whatever condition they were in at the time. That's a guess... But, it seems a likely guess! :P :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Did Marlin have a custom shop?
If so, could somebody have ordered that barrel specifically for use with either a receiver or tang sight.
I use a receiver sight on my 357 Cowboy, and find the rear sight dovetail to be a blot on an otherwise nice octagonal barrel.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

When I say old barrel, I believe this to be an early 1900's Marlin 1894 barrel. Again it is in 38-40.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:28 am When I say old barrel, I believe this to be an early 1900's Marlin 1894 barrel. Again it is in 38-40.
In that case, then I'd have to agree with gundownunder, probably a rifle ordered with a tang sight. (When, were receiver sights introduced)?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!