Concealed carry --- again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: Concealed carry --- again

Post by JB »

I'd love to carry a 12 gauge shotgun around all the time, but I can't even get comfortable with a full sized handgun. I'm perfectly happy with an Ruger LCP or sometimes a j frame with my lifestyle. Sometimes I feel all commando and step up to a Gock 43, but even that's larger than I like to pack around.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Check out some of the recent videos by the brothers Quinn on Gunblast.com. They did some ballistic gel testing at Gunsite. If you look at the testing with the .380 rounds you'll see those aren't your daddy's .380s. Double Tap ammo makes some pretty potent stuff.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well today has been one of the days when I figure I was born about 100 years too late. So, this is what I'm carrying.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jeepnik, I have the 5 1/2-inch barreled Sheriff's model. I have seen original Colt belly guns just like yours in the collections of the Southern Oregon Historical Society. I think you are pretty well protected with that rig.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

John, I ordered the Bladetech Klipt IWB for the Shield. Looks bomb proof. Will be running Hornady Critical Defense after break in.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Had a chance to run some hardball through the little Shield. Very easy pistol to shoot. Totally controllable.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Rusty wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm Check out some of the recent videos by the brothers Quinn on Gunblast.com. They did some ballistic gel testing at Gunsite. If you look at the testing with the .380 rounds you'll see those aren't your daddy's .380s. Double Tap ammo makes some pretty potent stuff.
I agree while I'm a big 9mm fan, I think 380's are quite capable anymore. Sig P224 and P238 I carry the most often..
I also took out every defensive ammo I had which was a lot different kinds and compared them to the ARX ammo, I now carry ARX in all my carry guns. Don't laugh I recommend you give them a try especially if you have a tiny 380 that you can barely hold on to with the ARX it's like shooting a 22.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:53 pm John, I ordered the Bladetech Klipt IWB for the Shield. Looks bomb proof. Will be running Hornady Critical Defense after break in.
Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:01 pm Had a chance to run some hardball through the little Shield. Very easy pistol to shoot. Totally controllable.
This Levergunner is totally sold on both of the above. Having been assigned a few different 9mm pistols (including the Glock) as duty equipment over periods amounting to several years, I always distrusted and hated to carry the 9's.

But with today's loads and this little 9mm Shield, it is my favorite handgun of all time. Too bad that S&W stock is plummeting. Perhaps that is partly because of the huge popularity of Glock (with its lack of support for case heads and potential problems with handloads) and also because the Army did not adopt the M&P, which cools civilian interest and sales as well.

Yes, that little Shield (at least the 9mm) is amazingly easy to fire accurately and quickly. And the tough plastic IWB holster, if you wear a belt, grips onto you and holds the gun quite securely, yet affords a very fast and easy draw. My SD and daily carry choice is the Federal HST ammo, but many reviews also point to the Critical Defense round as a good defensive ammo choice.

THREAD DIGRESSION WARNING - But related to the reliability of the S&W vs. other handguns
By the way, most Glock devotees are just as passionate in their support of that gun as us 1911 lovers are for our choice (still my home defense gun with its Crimson Trace laser for night use). So they will likely ignore or discount the "rumor" that the Glock spits out brass that is swollen at the base (making it possibly unsafe and even unloadable for future use).

According to various sources, Glock is not the only handgun that lacks proper case head support. Having recently started loading 40 S&W for some a few close relatives for practice use, checking some rounds with a Maximum Cartridge Gauge revealed a problem. Several of the cases were known to be fired from a Glock. And several - even once fired ones - would not completely enter the gauge at the head. No definitive count was made in the sampling; some of the brass was possibly fired by other handguns.

Solution: The purchase of a Lee Bulge Buster kit. So now comes the task of rechecking every one of the many hundreds of previously loaded 40 S&W rounds, and all brass except factory new ones. Then, time to check a few 9's as well, since range brass is gathered for practice loads. Absent problems with a significant sampling, I won't worry further. Reportedly, 9's in the Glocks and similar handguns are not as much a problem as the high pressure 40's.

But in regards to the bulged head problem caused by some pistols with the 40S&W, this poster is a very unhappy, albeit, enlightened handloader.

The Bulge Buster kit merely allows you to run loaded or unloaded rounds through a Lee Crimp Die, minus its guts, and thus works down that last fraction of an inch of the casing as it passes through.

(Edited a few times for tone and typos!)
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

David wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:33 pm
Rusty wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm Check out some of the recent videos by the brothers Quinn on Gunblast.com. They did some ballistic gel testing at Gunsite. If you look at the testing with the .380 rounds you'll see those aren't your daddy's .380s. Double Tap ammo makes some pretty potent stuff.
I agree while I'm a big 9mm fan, I think 380's are quite capable anymore. Sig P224 and P238 I carry the most often..
I also took out every defensive ammo I had which was a lot different kinds and compared them to the ARX ammo, I now carry ARX in all my carry guns. Don't laugh I recommend you give them a try especially if you have a tiny 380 that you can barely hold on to with the ARX it's like shooting a 22.
Like the 9, the.380 has come a long, long way towards being a formidable stopper. Its only shortcoming is lack of penetration combined with adequate expansion, say, against cold weather garb, when compared with the 9. But it has certainly changed over the last decade.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 pmSo with that being said I suppose I'll cross another bridge and finally buy a suppressor . I just hate paying the $200 tax stamp .
That's why I got a Mystic from LibertyCans so one 'stamp' got me a lightweight suppressor that would handle subsonic 308, but also be useful for 357 Mag leverguns (or Contender), 9mm's of all sorts, 35 Remington, 357 Max, 30-30, 300 Blackout, 223 Rem (both AR's and bolt-actions, sub- or supersonic), 22 Hornet, 22 LR, 22 WMR, 7.62x39, 32-20, and everything in between.

I've got about half the guns I own in those chamberings threaded so far... 8)

Even on my Ruger 22 LR Mk-3/45 pistol, it is light enough to balance well, although my favorite 22 LR 'pistol' to use it on is my Ruger Charger....makes plinking garden-raising bunnies downright FUN, and the others don't run away 'cuz they don't hear nuthin'..... :twisted:

The newer ones are rated for 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, etc, but mine is an earlier one. Plus I guess they now have an upgrade that allows 45 caliber too...

Unlike many other high-pressure cans, the Mystic comes apart for cleaning, and so is great for waxy, dirty rimfires like 22 LR, and cast-bullets out of 30 and 35 caliber guns.

I highly recommend looking at LibertyCans.....!

http://libertycans.net/mystic-x/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If/when the Hearing Protection Act becomes "law", I have a Mystic on my "buy" list.

Until then, I'll get by with "no suppressor required" catsneeze loads.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!