Savage 99 questions/comments

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Savage 99 questions/comments

Post by wecsoger »

To be fair, I know pretty much zip about the Savages, other than I don't have any.

Do have a fair pile of the winnies, marlins, glenfields, etc. - so obviously I need to add to the accumulation.

Reason for posting, I was in the Hamburg PA Cabelas, Gun Library, over on the right with all the other w's, m's, miroku's, etc., was one lonely '99, in .300 Savage, reasonably good looking wood, 24"bbl.

Price tag of $799, which didn't seem too excessive compared to the other 4 and occasional 5 digit hang tags I was seeing.

Didn't have my gun-show stash with me but with a long slender supermodel looking gun I was tempted.

But I do know Cabela's pricing on other items so I can't believe it's as good a deal as I'm thinking.

Note to self: start researching the Savage levers.

Don't tell me now to go back and get it - I'm back home now in southwest OH, after driving down all day and dodging the combined efforts of both the PA state police and the Ohio highway patrol.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 questions/comments

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds a little steep to me. 300 Savage is a perfectly acceptable caliber though. Only a hundred fps or so behind a 308 so it'll get the job done. Start lookin', you'll find the right one.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I live about 60 miles southeast of that cabelas and let me explain somethin to you.....whomever prices their guns don't know a whole lot.....seems like they use Blue Book and do not know the variations.....buddies of mine have "stole" stuff there and other guns are priced way over...like reblued Winchesters for what they are valued as original.

Sad to say but you need to have the "education" when you visit there.

Savages are steadily climbing more than Winchesters/Marlins/Colts in the last ten years and like the previous guns mentioned, there are many variations as to pre war/deluxe/post war/Carbine/reblued/altered/etc.

Do your homework and you may have a steal.....or a ripoff.-------6
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

That 99 would have to be in really really nice condition with no or very minor stock cracks (Savage 99's are bad to have cracks in the wood where bedded to the receiver), no extra holes, very little wear in the blue to be worth $800. 300 Savage is a fine cartridge but is not one which is sexy enough to bring extra dollars in a rifle, like 250 Savage or 22 Hi-Power. You should be able to get a very nice one with excellent bore and a tang sight for $500 I'd opine. And no, you can't have mine for that $500 price, even though I know my baby would not bring that if I did want to sell it.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'm inclined to agree that $799 sounds steep, but... the thing is, the 99 is one of those rifles that was made in many models, with many special orders. It really is one of those situations where the buyer truly needs to know exactly what he is looking at.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey if you want that gun let me know, I live a half hour from that store. If you are ever in the area again pm me and I will spot for the coffee.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
About 5 months ago decided we needed another 99 but in the "Take down" type chambered for that fine 300 Savage. After about two weeks searching different sights came across one that was 85 % with a nice old steel receiver sight made about 1930. Price shipped to our FFL was under $375.
So hunt about... they are out there if you put in the time to look.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like ALL the Cabelas are the same, and have the same employees pricing guns! Either stupid high, or stupid low.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Agree with what six gun posted in post #3. The M99 is gaining in value. Like Remington M8 and 81, the internet has created an interest and increased value in these older and so-called "obsolete" rifles.

I found that D.P. Murray's "The Ninety-Nine: A History of the Savage Model 99 Rifle" (revised 3rd edition, 1985, softcover)very helpful when I was looking for a .303 Savage M99. Believe I paid about US$30.00 - 35.00 back in 2014 for a copy. Book can be hard to find, but look on the used book sites such as ABE Books (https://www.abebooks.com) and Alibris (https://www.alibris.com). There were several models and variations made and it pays to have a some working knowledge about what you are looking for or looking at.

Some information on Savage 99's: http://www.savage99.com/index.php
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks for comments, all. I learned a lot already.

And thanks much for the link, been reading the different sections.

Did I mention this one was a takedown?

Just for reference, facility I was upgrading is near Hatfield, I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Quakertown, right off the 476. Hotel I can recommend, not so much for all the toll roads about.

Pretty much get a feel for the Cabelas pricing when I see $299 Mosin-Nagants and AK-47 clones near a kilobuck.

And no, I wouldn't have paid that much, but if I could beat them down to $500 or so, looked like a nice rifle.

.300 Savage looks like a very good round and I reload. That would be a great deer rifle for retirement in the hills of eastern Ky.

It appears I must add a Savage (or two/three) to my accumulation to fill in a void.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I've had a few 99's over the years. Some were take downs, rare calibers and rare models. I'm down to three a 99F 358 Win., 99F 243 Win. and 99A 250 Savage. Depending what caliber and model they are getting a little harder to find and prices are getting up there. That said, my local gun shop has two 99's in 300 Savage, early 40's going around $500.00 give or take. Condition on both of them are between fair and good.

Mainehunter