94AE rebound hammer parts replacement

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

94AE rebound hammer parts replacement

Post by HawkCreek »

Anybody know of a source for the post 64 pre ugly safety lower tang parts needed to convert a 94AE to half cock? I tried google but everything I found was sold out. Am I to late to find them all in one place? I've read the link here http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... rsion.html I know I only need a few parts but I'd be willing to buy a complete lower tang if I had to.

I found a decent deal on an early 94AE Trapper in .30-30. Haven't had time to get to play with it yet but it's on deck to be a new truck gun if it shoots half way decent.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 94AE rebound hammer parts replacement

Post by OldWin »

I looked earlier this year for Griff and myself. Thought I had a local source but it was a bust.
Gave up for now.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You have to keep a watch on Gun Parts Inc (Numrich). I've sometimes seen them on GunBroker, in the parts section. But not in several years. I finally found the guides I needed for my pre-64 I'm putting together.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My first lower tang set came from Numrich, the second from eBay. Since then I've also watched the availability of those parts and assemblies drop. A lot of folks don't like the rebounding hammer action I guess.
as the poster above suggested, just keep watching the parts sources as well as the classifieds here and any place else that talks about lever guns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I used to find them at gun shows and pass them along, but they seem to have dried up in the past few years. I dont recall the last set I saw. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago?

Tuning up the rebound trigger group may be the new answer.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I usually find them on eBay...quick check shows some lower tang assemblies and pre-64 hammers. I didn't look in detail, but you might check there.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Well not the easy answer I was hoping for but thank you for the help. I'll keep my eyes open. In the mean time I've still got an older 94 Trapper with the canted barrel that I still havent got anything done with. I prefer to keep the original parts with guns in case it ever comes time to sell one but I suppose I could steal the parts from that one for the time being if it comes down to it.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Canted barrel as in not indexed correctly?

If so, you could probably correct that yourself.

Just tuning up the trigger pull on the rebound setup may get the gun shootable. Tuning some of the rebound leg down, cleaning up the trigger pull, reducing the trigger block spring that the lever moves to allow it to fire.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A second time thru this thread and Malamute's post jogged my memory... If you're wondering just how to tune the mainspring strut in an 94AE with the rebounding hammer, here's a great set of instructions by Mohave Gambler: "Cleaning up the action on a Winchester New Model 94" (read 94AE). Plenty of other good advice on other parts of that model.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Malamute wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 pm Canted barrel as in not indexed correctly?

If so, you could probably correct that yourself.

Just tuning up the trigger pull on the rebound setup may get the gun shootable. Tuning some of the rebound leg down, cleaning up the trigger pull, reducing the trigger block spring that the lever moves to allow it to fire.
I can do minor repairs myself but I don't have the proper tools or know how to turn a barrel myself.

I've read a lot of different tutorials on cleaning up the AE actions. I've started cleaning up the internals, still debating on if I want to begin cutting parts or not yet.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I have a what I'm pretty sure is a complete set of internal parts for a post 64 30-30 action which has a half cock hammer. I bought this batch and used the hammer and lower tang on my 94 AE .357. I sold the .357 with the original rebound hammer and kept this batch for further use. I have a 30-30 bolt gun now and will sell the parts below. See swap section.
DSCN3731.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I was thinking to myself "easy enough to find lower tangs on eBay, I just did mine". Then I realized this happened 12 years ago when I lived on Maui. I can't be believe time has flown by so quickly. I found my leaf string lower tang for my final year production Trapper on eBay from a seller in Canada I believe he was in New Brunswick. I think I paid about $30 including shipping. Turned out very well extremely smooth operation with a trigger pull if 2.5lbs. Best of all it now had a half-cock. I still have that gun.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31