MT & WY fishing Bear Protection?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

MT & WY fishing Bear Protection?

Post by Tycer »

6 rd 357 w 180 gr cast or 19 rd 9 mm hp or ball?

Or just pepper spray and bells?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: MT & WY fishing Bear Protection?

Post by AJMD429 »

The guy in the later part of this video makes sense, and seems to have 'been there'...

https://youtu.be/RlaJsnEzjNE
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Use enough gun -

Today, a bowhunter got mauled by a grizzly near Ennis (SW Wyoming), but made it alive (90 stitches).

http://www.ktvq.com/story/36294465/man- ... near-ennis

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If .357 is the most powerful handgun you have, then it seems to be what to carry as a backup to bear spray. A couple of speed loaders might not be a bad idea. I have never been there, so I am just making my statements based on what I have read and heard. Bears are known to be shockingly fast for a short distance. I know you practice and are a good shot, so I do hope that you don't need to find out what your .357 can do to a bear. Besides, your Spyderco with the yellow handle and the S30V steel blade might need sharpened before you get all the way through skinning the bear.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

NOT hollowpoint. Please.

180g hard cast but even that's light for a stopper IMO.

Hard cast in the 9 but it's another compromise.

I think a 44 or 45 with 405g, or anything with 405 and up makes the most sense. They do plenty of damage subsonic.

to see from my POV work out the TKO figures for the loads you have and the ones I mentioned to get a comparison.

I always pray, "Lord, please don't let this bear be a Christian bear."

so far, so good.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

357 it is. My fishing partner will have the bear spray and we have a plan to catch the other's attention with whistles.
Kind regards,
Tycer
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Tycer wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:39 am 357 it is. My fishing partner will have the bear spray and we have a plan to catch the other's attention with whistles.
2 Long rifle. The bear comes at you then you Kneecap your partner and stroll away. Might want some earplugs, the screaming could get intense. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You should both have pepper spray.

Either would work with the right loads. The 357 has better chance of making deep, bone breaking penetration. The 9 should work on head shots with decent penetration loads. Please note that common fmj loads are not very high quality as regards holding together when penetrating hard things, inferior to quality bonded hollowpoints, and the rounded nose tends to glance instead of penetrate on angles of bone or windshield.

Someone thats been trying multiple loads in multiple calibers for several years has been saying the Lehigh Defense solid copper bullets have so far been 100% functionally reliable in every gun hes shot them in, and penetrate very well. The stylist nose flutes dont seem to hurt reliablity. Whatever claim the maker has regarding the nose flutes and super-bullet capabilities they may possess is far behind the fact that they are tough bullets that penetrate well and are very functionally reliable.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Just some thoughts. If you smell anything dead, don't check it out. Stay away from tall grass, thick brush/willows, dense timber and berry patches. Most of the grizzly bears are above or near timberline now feeding on grubs but I've seen plenty of sign near the berries (rivers, streams) lately. Bow season is open, so they will be taking advantage of wounded animals and gut piles. Be alert, always watch and try to be able to have a good visible area around you. I look at bear spray, guns and dogs as insurance, but guns are expensive insurance and a dead last resort---I'm not sure how they will handle it now that the grizzlies are off the list, but in the past if you killed one here in Wyo, even if it was self defense, you were looking at a 10K minimum cost, plus some legal costs to settle it---so depending on how you view that, it is an expensive endeavor to kill one. Of the three friends I have who have been attacked, two never had a clue it was coming, all three were hunting, so they were carrying a rifle---then there was also the hospital expense in two of the three cases and the mandatory fine in the other case for killing one, so encounters are expensive. Dogs are good if they are trained properly, if not, they are likely worse than no dog at all. Noise can work, but it can work against you---I've yelled at grizzlies before just to have them hackle up and come towards me--but other times they will leave. I don't yell or act intimidating any more---but it's best to be aware and not be so quiet that you startle one. I always let them wind me and never try to get downwind from them---they are always using the wind. Sows with cubs should be treated with total respect and distance and hopefully if you startle a grizzly it's not a sow or her cubs. As far as guns go as a last resort, bigger would be better. In two of the cases I mentioned, my friends didn't even get to their pistol until the attack was over and in both cases the bears pinned them down and bit them on the back, head and legs---like I said, they never had a clue it was coming. So, guns and bear spray were a moot point with those two deals. Watch how you smell---be careful with fish blood/odor and also food smells on you. It's a good time of year to fish around Wyo and Montana, the rivers/creeks are clear---and like I say quite a few of the grizzlies will be above timber line feeding now.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Malamute wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:04 am You should both have pepper spray.
Copy that. Confirmed.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

While not ideal by any means, I've shot some factory Federal 180 hardcast in my Blackhawk.....very impressive penetration.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Since you are fishing and not hunting any noise you make is a GOOD thing. Get yourself bear bells and wear them! Or a dog bell for bird dogs. Keep talking as you are walking even if you are alone. Let them know you are there.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just remember that bear poop smells like pepper spray and has little metal bells in it. :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

And, some Indian lady kilt one with a .22 rimfire....still not recommended. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've had a couple of Browning 86's that had been cut down, receiver sights and sling, just to carry while fishing. 45-70 of course. My own 325 grain GC cast bullets are OK for me but there are bunches of heavier stuff available if you feel the need.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Just remember, if you take a dog, when it encounters a bear, it's probably going to lead it right back to you.
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I spoke to a warden in Wyoming while hunting. He told me he gives his children airhorns to scare off bears while they're outside playing and he's used them successfully. He said bear spray works but if the wind blows it back, it can incapacitate the user. As of last year I'm carrying spray and a .44 with buffalo bore ammo.
grass range
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grass range »

.357 very marginal, 9mm useless. Spray usually in a holster so slow to get into operation and get the safety off. 41 or 44 if you are practiced and good which comes from practice simulating getting into operation quickly and without prior notice