OT - Taurus Thunderbolt 357 coming back

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Taurus Thunderbolt 357 coming back

Post by Texican »

The latest issue of Shooting Times has a very short note stating that despite Taurus' plan to discontinue the .357 version of their lightning-type rifle, it is now 're-continued' due to the efforts of customers writing and calling the company. Good news, somebody's listening!

Thanks to all the other guys who might have written them too.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I hope so. Looks like they are putting out separate Tbolts for .38 and .357, with the .357 coming out first.

I wonder if they are using a captured-round carrier like the model 62, OAL is critical and if you want to use a round with an OAL different than the one it's set for, you'll have to modify the carrier.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I hope they function better than the 45 Colt T-Bolt that I used to have . . .

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Noah Zark wrote:I hope they function better than the 45 Colt T-Bolt that I used to have . . .
I've heard of reports regarding misfeeds with the .45. Do you think the larger rim of the .38/.357 will help?
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Texican wrote:
Noah Zark wrote:I hope they function better than the 45 Colt T-Bolt that I used to have . . .
I've heard of reports regarding misfeeds with the .45. Do you think the larger rim of the .38/.357 will help?
yes, i think it will, but it would be best in the 44/40 or 38/40,etc where you have a real rim. compare a 45 colt and 44/40 side by side and look at the rims!
you have to think, that if this design could have worked well with the 45 colt, then colt would have offered it back then in their own cartridge to match their pistols. . there must have been a reason, and the reason was the rim, i am sure they experimented with it, and found it wouldn't work; the rim on the 45 colt as i understand it, was even smaller in the 1800's than now, but it is still quite small compared to the 44/40.
hope it works with the 357.
cable
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

I bought one in .45 and never fired it. Sold it off and bought a Rossi 92 .357
I think I'll just stick with my lever gun's. I have to get Nate's DVD though. I also picked up Rossi 92 Carbine in .45lc. Went to load it and sliced the side of my finger opened. The inside of the receiver at the loading gate is sharp and rough. I have to work on that.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a .45 and really like it. Glad they are saving the .357! :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I have a .45 and really like it. Glad they are saving the .357! :D
some of them surely do work perfectly and you should really hang onto yours; i wanted one, but all the ones i saw locally were being sold because of problems.
i have an original in 44/40 that was qite worn, but after i got it fixed up it works great!
cable
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

hfcable wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:I have a .45 and really like it. Glad they are saving the .357! :D
some of them surely do work perfectly and you should really hang onto yours; i wanted one, but all the ones i saw locally were being sold because of problems.
i have an original in 44/40 that was qite worn, but after i got it fixed up it works great!
Sounds like a post in desperate need of a picture!!! :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
hfcable wrote:

yikes, you are right!
lately i have fallen of the wagon on posting pictures, will do so this week!
also got one in 45/90 will post it too.
cable
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

hfcable wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:
hfcable wrote:

yikes, you are right!
lately i have fallen of the wagon on posting pictures, will do so this week!
also got one in 45/90 will post it too.
Cool! 8) Can't wait!!! :D
SPROCKET
Levergunner

Post by SPROCKET »

The real question is when's a carbine length .44 flavored one coming out. :D
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

A carbine length would be better, those .45 are long rifles, I prefer a short barrel. A .357/38 in Carbine length that would Feed and function with no problems would be a great gun, plus a good set of sights. The sights on the one I had was terrible.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

44/40 carbine and 45/85 large frame colt

Post by hfcable »

this gun had been redone when i got it, but then needed mechanical work which was done to flawless level by bill pratt in california; it is a 44/40 SRC:

and this big boy is all original marked 45/85/285 which is coltese for 45/90; it has an excellent bore and works fine, but i need to get the screws to mount the tang sight:

this large frame will get the full workup for good loads and be shot a lot this summer, and maybe go hunting this fall.
cable
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

great pics. I doubt I would touch the appearance of the older one, but that's just me. Is the barrel on the newer one 16"? Sure is pretty wood.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Holy Cow - those are beautiful!!! :D :D :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cable,

Those are beautiful shooters, (I hope), & if not, they sure look good in yer photos.

But, lest anyone thing that all Taurus T-bolts were lemons, I have this short clip of one being shot at a cowboy match in Boulder City, NV. I understand they are OAL sensitive in the extreme. This one is a later model, but unmodified. IIRC, .45 Colt.

Please note the steady and deliberteness in his operation of the slide. He ain't trying to run the gun faster than the action needs to function. I think one of the problems CAS shooters found with them was a tendency to try to run them at very high speeds.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

the one i had was accurate just the bolt would lock to the
rear and all that chrome made it almost impossible to see the front
sight, and to think i pushed a old lady down and jumped over the counter when i seen it across the gun shop. it made a nice trade for the 92 in 44/40 though.