OT Kidney Stones

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Quick Karl

OT Kidney Stones

Post by Quick Karl »

All I could think of was how on earth can anyone survive being tortured as a POW for a few years because I didn’t think I was going to make it through the night – thank God for Morphine at the Emergency room, and to those gentleman that know of which I speak, you have my highest respect – I now understand that ‘look’ that those who have experienced a kidney stone give whenever the subject comes up.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT Kidney Stones

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Quick Karl wrote:All I could think of was how on earth can anyone survive being tortured as a POW for a few years because I didn’t think I was going to make it through the night – thank God for Morphine at the Emergency room, and to those gentleman that know of which I speak, you have my highest respect – I now understand that ‘look’ that those who have experienced a kidney stone give whenever the subject comes up.

+1 :D :D :D

Been there, done that...3X...! Hang in there, it will get better. Either it will pass or they'll bust it up.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Someone told me one that God gives men kidney stones so they'll know what it's like for a woman to deliver a baby.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Babies' heads aren't covered in ground glass.... :shock:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Old Ironsights wrote:Babies' heads aren't covered in ground glass.... :shock:
Also, I have never heard of a "member" diolating before the event either.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Quick Karl wrote:All I could think of was how on earth can anyone survive being tortured as a POW for a few years because I didn’t think I was going to make it through the night – thank God for Morphine at the Emergency room, and to those gentleman that know of which I speak, you have my highest respect – I now understand that ‘look’ that those who have experienced a kidney stone give whenever the subject comes up.
Been there, done that. You have my deepest sympathies.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Done that!

And my mother confirms that after having one herself at around 19 years of age......having us kids only a few years later was easier.

Drink a lots of fluids.

Good luck!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew wrote:
Also, I have never heard of a "member" diolating before the event either.
Aghhh! Mental images I don't need!!! :shock:
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

I feel for you, I have been there done that and dont want to do it again!!!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I've passed 3 and had to have an ultrasound, on one of them, to make sure it hadn't gotten stuck in the prostate. :shock:

It is a pain that you have to experience because it is indescribable.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

My wife has delivered four large babies (9 pounders) and had kidney stones twice. My hat's off to her as the only serious pain I've experienced is a few broken fingers when I dropped a trailer on my hand...she said it was the worst pain she'd ever felt.
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by stormspotter »

Had them twice myself. Both times they had to be "blasted" as they too big to pass. The gravel wasn't exactly easy itself.
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like some of the other boys here, I have had three. Its been a couple of years since my last one so I guess I'm due for one. In my Jeeps, travel bag, and my range box, I keep several heavy duty pain pills for the occasion when it comes up. Like you said, thank the Lord for morphine. Feels like your insides are coming out.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never had one yet, but I worked in a hospital pharmacy while a student. The men and women with kidney stones needed more morphine than anyone but the cancer patients. When you pass it, the doctor will probably tell you what to do to avoid having another. If you pass it into something that it can be removed from and sent to a lab for analysis. Hope your doctor can help you avoid having any more.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

prayers for quick healing.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Had 'em twice. But I learned after the first time to demand A LOT of Demerol RIGHT NOW ! You know those hospital beds with the side rails they raise. I tore one of those rails loose. A fellow who was in the same room told his wife to get him out quick. The doctor said he thought they were caused, (in my part of the country), by manganese and ferrous iron in the well water. I feel your pain!!
Last edited by Gun Smith on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ouch... :shock:

Ok, I've know I've posted my share of OFF TOPIC posts too, but this one should be labeled as: FTLOGWDYPTT

For the Love of God why did you post this topic?

I'd rather read about semi-auto's or something, even sling shots -- not "pee shooters"!!! :D

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

I laughed so hard at this one I nearly passed another stone!

Thank you to everyone for all the good wishes and my utmost respect to all of you who have had the same experience.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I had one when I came back from Alaska in 1999. Had NO idea what was happening to me. Throwing up, diarrea, fever and a pain that just would not go away. It got caught and had to be surgically removed.

The second was a couple of years ago and I passed it with a lot of water and not a small amount of blood.

Seems like when I get read dehydrated, I am in danger.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I have been shot and stabbed, had my butt whipped and been run over with a car.........but nothing hurt like that kidney stone.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Been there had one, got 45 strokes, paperwork said back to work in 3 days, BS, fortunately I was retired.I was in pain for 10 days and nights passing 2mmx 3mm pieces of the calcium stone & the treatment failed to remove it all so I was offered another session which I turned down.
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

I had one last year and like ScottT's mine got caught and had to be surgically removed. They call me Sarge at work and most think of me as a tough old bird and one not to be messed with, but I CRIED LIKE A BABY :oops:

I drove myself from work to the emergency room and as soon as I walked in , doubled over and said kidney stone I had three people on me and a needle in my arm almost before I could lay down.

Prayers sent,
Papa
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Had one about four years ago get stuck in the urethra, about 3" from daylight. It was "Up scope!" time for Noah, they went in and broke it up with a "crusher" tool on the cystoscope. The CT scan showed that it was 8mm long and 5mm in diameter, and was covered with pointy spines. I bled for a week.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

Well I sure feel for you guys but darn, this is one thing I didn't really want to think about. I guess most of us will experience it sooner or later.
Keep your sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

My sincere condolences... I had a bout with a huge kidney stone once - and had to have it "blasted". I was like peeing broken glass shards for 2 and a half weeks. :o
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I belong to the club too.
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

bogus bill wrote:I belong to the club too.
I think once you've been through this you should get a badge or a medal to wear - like a Purple Kidney or something.

I seriously thought I was going to die. I thought it was bad gas, and was trying to figure out what the heck I ate that could be causing such pain. After roiling in pain from 11:00 PM till 5:00 AM, so bad that I actually got sick from it, I headed for the Emergency Room.

I told the lady at the desk that I had really bad gas - she asked me where it started and where it was now and she picked-up the phone and called someone and said "Kidney Stone"...

I was on a stretcher with a nurse rapidly inserting an IV and then some Morphine very quickly - it seems they take Kidney Stone pain very seriously.

All I can say is a sincere heart-felt thank you to everyone at the Hospital.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I've gone a few rounds with those things...and LOST!

If I could, I'd grant that no one would have to endure that suffering.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Quick Karl wrote:I thought it was bad gas, and was trying to figure out what the heck I ate that could be causing such pain.
BINGO... Thats what I was thinking the morning I woke up with them. I sat on
the throne for about three hours yelling to my wife for whatever kind of over
the counter stuff we had on hand.

The night before I pee'd blood but didn't realize it cuz I went through dehydration
while on cold weather training and pee'd brown then. (which I think might have
been the cause of my later stones, minerals crystalizing in my bladder.)

I assumed I was dehydrating.

A NOTICE TO ALL WHO HAVE HAD THE STONES::::::::::::::::::::::

While I was in the hospital getting them removed I met a woman there who
also had kidney stones, she said to me "I would rather have had all three
of my children at the same time than to go through this again" and later
the doctor told me that stones are worse for men than women.

I use that every time one of my wifes friends brings up child birth :twisted: :twisted:

When I first got to the hospital I begged the doc for something for the pain.

Ten minutes went by and I started yelling and the doc rushed in to see what
was the matter and I grabbed his wrist and wouldn't let go till he yelled for
a nurse to bring demorall. When I saw the needle he got his hand back.

The next day I was red faced begging for forgiveness but the doc said he
didn't blame me.

To this day I've never seen a bigger baby than myself on that day. :oops:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The best advice I ever got, regarding stones, was given me by a late friend about fifteen years ago, when I was experiencing what I thought was a strained back when the stones were exiting the kidney.
The later, frontal pain from the stone trying to exit the bladder hadn't occurred as then yet.

The first thing, he said, was to lie flat on your back with the feet elevated on a pillow or couch armrest - it will help dislodge a stone stuck at an exit duct.

The second thing was: Empty oneself through a disposable screen/funnel, available from the drugstore - only after the pain was in front - to catch a passing stone & take it to a Urologist or Laboratory for analysis.
I did, & caught one, & got it analyzed (there's different types/causes), and the MD prescribed a daily pill for me - I haven't had a recurrence, since.

Prevention IS the best cure ! ! :wink:
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

Had them too, they bite.

When my brother got them, they had to go in and blast. Left a catheter in to keep him from swelling shut. Little string hanging out like a tampon. He started peeing blood a couple days later. Doc told him it was probably the catheter and to pull the string and remove it. :shock:

Although he did discover a way to speed up being admitted. As soon as the paper work is filled out at the window, collapse into a sobbing fetal heap in front of it so you must be carried off before they can process the next person.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

bfm wrote:... As soon as the paper work is filled out at the window, collapse into a sobbing fetal heap in front of it so you must be carried off before they can process the next person.
Well, THAT's not going to require much acting... :roll:

I'm a big fan of Cranberry Juice... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

Lemon in water is a very good preventive medicine the citrate is the best thing to stop stone formation. About 4 yrs ago I was having a kidney stone every few months for about 1.5 yrs, I guess/believe it was due to being on the Protein/Adkins diet for so long.

Since I was out on the trail so much hunting and such (sometimes being 50-60 miles from the nearest paved road) I had a doctor friend walk me through what meds to have available when out in the bush. If you get caught miles from nowhere... when you first realize that you are going to be passing a stone (mine always started as a severe back pain or side pain) first thing take a muscle relaxer, this will stop the core muscles from constricting and stop you from throwing up your pain pill, give it 10-15 mins to take effect and then down your pain pill, once that is down take some ibuprofen to stop the swelling so that you may past the stone without it getting caught due to inflamed urinary tract, and then continue with the pain pills as needed.

If you are prone to Kidney stones.....don't go anywhere (trips, vacation, hunting) without these meds they will be a lifesaver.

I haven't had a stone in about 2 yrs now....thank GOD...
Last edited by MikeNV on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

It feels like someones pulling a hundred yards of barbwire through your manhood..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

I actually thought that when the stone was traveling from the kidney to the bladder was MORE painful.

The doc says the urinary tract is 4 times smaller in diameter from the kidney to the bladder than from the bladder to void..
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Adjusted for Levergun Period Medicine....
MikeNV wrote:... If you get caught miles from nowhere... when you first realize that you are going to be passing a stone (mine always started as a severe back pain or side pain) first thing take a muscle relaxer,
BOOZE
this will stop the core muscles from constricting and stop you from throwing up your pain pill, give it 10-15 mins to take effect and then down your pain pill, once that is down take some ibuprofen to stop the swelling so that you may past the stone without it getting caught due to inflamed urinary tract, and then continue with the pain pills as needed.
MORE BOOZE and LOTS OF WATER.

Repeat until you can get to modern medical care/morphine... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

Old Ironsights wrote:Adjusted for Levergun Period Medicine....

BOOZE

MORE BOOZE and LOTS OF WATER.

Repeat until you can get to modern medical care/morphine... :wink:
Just make sure you have a private stash.... or your friends my dindle your pain med supply...LOL Seriously even on Pre-1840 American Mtn Men trips.... I have my meds stashed somewhere in my period gear.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

For me the first is the worst. I think that is due to hearing all the stories of others. It isnt only the pain, its the fear factor from old stories. My dads 1st one he said he didnt care if he died! After that he got more and being cheap he would bull them through and not go to the hospital.
My 1st one I was pretty sure what it was from my dads experiences. I drove myself to the hospital. I remember seeing vaugley a blond stareing at me in the waiting room. A few days later the secatary of my department asked me why I was at the doctor that day. I was in such pain I hadent reconised her sitting a few feet from me faceing me!
I finaly got in the doctors examing room, doctor not there, and asked the nurse to give me a shot or something. She left to get something, I was in the worst pain ever before or since, and prayed to god to give me relief. Immediately the pain stopped! At first I probley thought it was just a lull. The nurse returned to give me the shot and I told her no, I never felt better in my life! The doctor came in and I told him about it. He poo pooded gods mirrical and told me it must have just reached the bladder. He gave me a screen to pee through a few days to catch the stone and took tests. He said he was sure I passed a stone later as I had blood in the urean. Never did find a stone. I latter had about 3 or 4 similar episodes but on lower levels of pain. The last one about a month ago. I didnt go to the doctor. Too much like my old man. Never have been able to find a stone on any of the incidents.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

My first stone was July 10th ,1979. I have had 19 since then. Actualy just got back fomr my testing ( 24 hour urine sample and blood work ) to see how the new medications for prevention are working I see the Nephrolgist on monday .
All have passed on ther own except for one they had to go in after . All my pain is from the kideny to the bladder discomfort and pressure when it finally leaves the bladder and heads for the toilet .
All mine have occured in either July or November ( three times in ERs on November the 21st on different years ) No one can figure out that pattern yet .
This medication SEEMS to be working I have not had one in almost three years now , longest I have ever gone ,since that first one.
I feel sorry fo allof you that have had one or more ITS HELL
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Bluehawk wrote:My first stone was July 10th ,1979. I have had 19 since then.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Ding Ding Ding....I think we have a Winner..!

I can't imagine having 19. My first one was the one that really hurt. It started to leave the kidney and got hung up (7mm dia.). They said the pain was from the kidney swelling with fluid that couldn't go anywhere. They knocked me out for the Lithotripsy, and according to the Doc afterwards, evidently had to go "in" from the front and knock the stone back up into the kidney before they could bust it up. I'm glad I was out for that one....! Once it was busted up into managable pieces it was a piece of cake. I just got that feeling of being kicked in the nuts every once in a while for a few minutes until they all passed. He also told me the hard part is to get it from the kidney to the bladder. Once it gets in the bladder, you're Home Free..!

Still haven't caught one yet, but when I do I'm gonna make some jewelry out of it. Maybe have it Bronzed..

:)
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[( three times in ERs on November the 21st on different years ) No one can figure out that pattern yet .]

Heck - I can answer that one, Bluehawk - YORE HELPING CELEBRATE MY BIRTHDAY ! ! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

19 ! ! ! :shock: You must like it, thass all I kin say. :roll:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pete44ru wrote:[( three times in ERs on November the 21st on different years ) No one can figure out that pattern yet .]

Heck - I can answer that one, Bluehawk - YORE HELPING CELEBRATE MY BIRTHDAY ! ! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

19 ! ! ! :shock: You must like it, thass all I kin say. :roll:
I was going to say my son's birthday OR it is meant to keep you from hunting. That's usually the middle of our regular gun deer season.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

Bluehawk wrote:three times in ERs on November the 21st on different years ) No one can figure out that pattern yet.
It's all that candy you ate on Holloween...
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

how are these things avoided?
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Sorry no birthdays were being celebrated with the stones BUT it was the first day of bear season in PA every time Towanda ER got to know me .
I just had my annual visit to the Nephrologist yesterday cat scan confirmed NO STONES In there at this time and the new meds are keeping my levels down so I MAY be free from now on if I continue on the meds :D
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

The stones are a result of your body pulling calcium from your bones and what is left over is the stones, means your body isnt getting enough calcium . My dad would pass 1 or 2 stones a year for 20 years started on good grade of calcium and vitamin C hasnt had a problem the last 20 years. danny
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

deerwhacker444 wrote:
Bluehawk wrote:My first stone was July 10th ,1979. I have had 19 since then.
:shock: :shock: :shock: Ding Ding Ding....I think we have a Winner..!
BOY HOWDY!!! :o

NO kidney-stone sufferer EVER forgets the time & place that king of pain set in..... <it was at 3:03am on August 25th (can't remember the year tho)

The crazy thing was that I'd *actually* had a "pain-fee" day about a week ago (that's not since occurred). :?
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

YUP you never forget the stones especially the first one .
Big sky actually its the opposite the calcium does NOT get pulled from the bones. majority of stones are calcium/oxalate. Some people can not process the oxalates as well as others, and then crystals are formed which bind to the calcium and produce stones .
Oxalates come from certain foods and most stones can be prevented by not eating them and drinking LOTS of water . Tea ( any tea made from leaves ) is the number one source of oxalates . Other producers are Beets, Spinach, Rhubarb, nuts, especially almonds , Strawberries and Black berries , and apples and apple cider ( a medium apple has more oxaltes than my kidney doctor wants me to consume in an day )
I have been srone free for almost 3 years now the longest I have ever gone since my first one I miss the tea and the berries the most .
Calcium is the least of the problems with most stones it happens to be the agent it binds to