Winchester 94, peep sight, left-handed shooter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Winchester 94, peep sight, left-handed shooter

Post by LoyalValley »

I have a pre-64 Winchester 94 and it was my plan to have a Marble Tang Peep Sight installed. But what about the Lyman Aperture Sight, the one which goes to the left side of the receiver? Aren't Lyman Peep Sights the best sights available?

However there might be a problem: I'm left-handed. If the peep is mounted on the left side of the receiver, won't I have difficulties to look through? And what about the hammer? When looking through the peep the hammer will be right in front the middle of my head! Recoil...

Looking forward to your opinions.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94, peep sight, left-handed shooter

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Been using peeps on M94 since 77, never a problem shooting left handed. Pretty much everything I ahoot gets a peep sight.. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The sight mounts to the left side of the body, but the peep itself is dead-center over the top of the receiver. It'll pose no problem whatsoever for a lefty.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/files/20 ... 1008-c.jpg
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Post by LoyalValley »

Thanks guys. Silly me, let's call it blackout :roll:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The only way you could have a problem would be if you (a "lefty") have a right master eye. :roll:

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Been using tang sights and receiver sights on leverguns for forty years, been left handed for 52 years, no worries yet. You will be fine.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Post by LoyalValley »

What's a nice fiber optical sight (green) for a Winchester 94? I think I gonna get a Lyman peep sight. Thanks for your assistance!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

LoyalValley wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:57 am What's a nice fiber optical sight (green) for a Winchester 94? I think I gonna get a Lyman peep sight. Thanks for your assistance!

You'll may/may not need to replace the front sight with one that's a tad (maybe .10" ) higher than the issue front sight - try to zero the receiver sight with the issue height front sight, first.

If you google "green fiber optic dovetail front sight", you'll see many to choose from - just select a maker that offers one in the height (issue height or .10" taller) you need ( a tad higher will work).

All will have a 3/8" dovetail, and a "medium" (.340") base with will fit, if your front sight is ramp-mounted - if your front sight is mounted directly in a barrel dovetail, you will need a front sight of the correct height, but with a wide (.531") base.

BTW - If your front sight is ramp-mounted, be sure to support the RAMP (and not the barrel) against the hammer blows when removing/replacing the front sight blade).

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have a 1994 year model 94 trapper. I put a Williams peep sight that used the scope mount holes on the 94AE action. I installed a Marbles green fiber optic. It's not a classic era rifle so it doesn't bother me how it looks. I had to file the front of the front sight down some. It was so long it was hitting the barrel band.
If I can find or take a picture I'll post it up here later.

EDIT here we go. I found one on my phone.
20141230_121953.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have used the receiver sight on my Marlin 444 and Win 32 Special. One was Lyman and one was Williams. There is no problem with LH shooting of any kind. I'm a dedicated lefty. Buy screw adjustable, either field or target knobs, and if such things matter a pre-64 would do well with a nice used Lyman 66 in steel. The aluminum Williams Fool Proof ended up honoring its name after decades of my use.
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Post by LoyalValley »

You people have a fantastic knowledge, great. I gonna hand over the rifle to a very good gunsmith, let him do the job. Better to be on a safe side :wink:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

If you go with the reciever sight you don't need a gunsmith do you? Isn't your rifle d&t'd for it already?
Make sure he knows what he's doing if you use a gun smith. You would think reciever sights a Gunsmith ing 101, but I had an "experienced" one drill holes in the wrong place. 600 dollars in damage.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Post by LoyalValley »

My gunsmith has an excellent reputation but of course one never knows. I'm living in South Africa but the Win 94 is in Germany (where I was born). When on holiday there I neither have time nor facilities to fiddle around with gunsmith work. I rather go straight away to the forest and look for a roe deer buck 8)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Too bad you don't have the rifle with you. I will be in South Africa this summer and would stop by and mount the sight for you. It should just be a matter of removing the 2 plug filler screws and installing he sight. You may have to remove the rear sight elevator or remove the entire rear sight. You may possibly need a taller front sight.

So, I guess you are correct. If you want to get straight to shooting, have the gunsmith do all that before you get there.
Do you have to store your rifle at the gunshop/sporting club when you are not using it?
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Post by LoyalValley »

Vance, that's very kind of you, thanks. What are your plans for South Africa, where will you be? Of course, in Germany guns have to be locked up when not in use. Guess it won't be different in your country. Where do you live? So far I have been to Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska and Texas.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

LoyalValley wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:59 am Vance, that's very kind of you, thanks. What are your plans for South Africa, where will you be? Of course, in Germany guns have to be locked up when not in use. Guess it won't be different in your country. Where do you live? So far I have been to Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska and Texas.
:D :D :D :D It's a little bit different here :D :D :D The only reason guns have to be locked up here is to keep them out of the hands of children.

We are traveling with friends this year and will land in JNB of course. Probably spend the weeekend in Victoria Falls before coming back to KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.
We also have friends in George, Western Cape that I would like to visit, but time may not allow.

I live in NE Texas (info under the Texas flag in the sidebar)
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Post by LoyalValley »

I visited Texas a couple of months ago. It was great. Stayed at Fredericksburg for a week and drove up to Loyal Valley and Mason. Later stayed at Waco (wasn't impressed) from there I went to Fort Parker. Wonderful experience. I liked Fredericksburg a lot, could easily stay there for an extended period of time. Hunting whitetail deer at the Hill Country that I would love to do. I'm living in Hermanus, not far from Cape Town.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

LoyalValley, got any pics of tortoises or lizards around your area. Todd3/leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
LoyalValley
Levergunner

Post by LoyalValley »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:49 pm LoyalValley, got any pics of tortoises or lizards around your area. Todd3/leg
Just google Western Cape, there you'll find many pics.