Can't have enough Classic S&Ws!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Can't have enough Classic S&Ws!

Post by 2ndovc »

You guys know the story. Went in for .22 LRs on sale and came home with a WWI 1917 S&W. :D

With a hand full of CCI Mini Mags I took an obligatory stroll past the used gun case and there on the top shelf is a 1917 with a price tag of about half of what it should be. Looking it over and it turns out to be a VERY early production revolver with a Gilbert H. Stewart acceptance proof and a serial number just over 1000 making it one the first WWI 1917s.
The pictures don't do it justice, condition is about 95% or better with some good dings on the grips.

Had to include my late WWI production '17 and my .455 Second Model Hand Ejector.

Just a happy camper! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Can't have enough Classic S&Ws!

Post by J Miller »

Jason,

I got half moon clips and lots of 45 ACP, I can help you get 'em dirty :twisted:

Seriously, that is one S&W model I've never owned. Nice collection.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Wow, thanks for pictures. I've lusted after a 1917 for some time now.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! I love old Smiths, so naturally, that makes me drool.

Why don't stuff like that happen to me?........I'm a good person.........really. :roll:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

:D That's funny!

I've had the other two for probably 20 years. Don't think I paid more that $250 for either one. The .455 Eley is a fun shooter but the '17 in the center was my constant companion before I got the work done on the SBH. On the trail I'd have it loaded with a heavy(ish) .45 Auto Rim and a pocket full of .45 ACP on moon clips. My grandfather had one while he was on the Border Patrol in AZ in the late '20s and had a coffee can full of 1/2 moon clips and thousands of .45s. The action on the new one is even smoother than the other two. Bettin' it shoots just as well. :D

jb 8)

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congratulations! Enjoy that classic in good health.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

2ndovc: does the hammer have the machined grooves to hold oil?

I have been told that on the early S&W M1917's, grooves were machined on the hammer as a way to prevent rust and provide lubrication. However, it was soon found the oil did nothing but attract dirt and grime, causing the action to bind. My S&W 1917, made in 1918, has the machined hammer and all matching numbers -- including the grips.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 am Why don't stuff like that happen to me?........I'm a good person.........really. :roll:
No your not....your bad! I'M the one who should have Jason's gun. :D besides, you live in Maine where people actually have to work for a living and therefore, your Maine guns are well used. Come down about 400 miles south where we are all bums and no one has to work hard and the guns are all like new. :D

That's nice Jason.....as you know, good guns with condition are better than money in the bank and junk is junk and always will be junk.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 pm
OldWin wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 am Why don't stuff like that happen to me?........I'm a good person.........really. :roll:
No your not....your bad! I'M the one who should have Jason's gun. :D besides, you live in Maine where people actually have to work for a living and therefore, your Maine guns are well used. Come down about 400 miles south where we are all bums and no one has to work hard and the guns are all like new. :D

That's nice Jason.....as you know, good guns with condition are better than money in the bank and junk is junk and always will be junk.---6
Oh, that hurts man! :D
First, it's well over 500 miles by road. That's how far I'll drive to visit a bud. :D
And, because all our old guns are wore out, we need......and I deserve, nice ones like that.
Cause I am.....i am, a good guy! :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Behave you two! Ain't giving them up anytime soon anyway. :D

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't blame you! Wouldn't give em up either. Those are some nice Smith's.

Don't worry, me an ole Six are just hackin.
I don't know bout the rest of the population down there, but Jack ain't no bum. The guy is going all the time.

I am jealous of his cool guns though. :D
But....i think he covets my half mag carbines. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jason,
Be careful with that Old Win guy.....he was over here a couple of weeks ago and I'm now short 2 first gen colts. Was wondering why he wore that big heavy coat. :D

That 2nd model h.e......the 455 ......I like that too....a lot of those were converted.......one of my buddies was over here some years back and spied a complete box of ammo for that......that also disappeared with a $50 bill where the box used to be.

Another thing on those half magazine leverguns........at the match yesterday one of the guys was showing me his Gunbroker acquired Deluxe Marlin 1893 with checkered pistol grip, takedown, half rd/oct., and HALF mag., which I have never seen on a Marlin takedown...I asked him which state it came from.......his response?......Maine. They must be good shots up that way, not to need all that extra ammo.----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Doh! I figured it'd be years fore ole Six noticed any missing! :D
No kidding on the 93? Wow. Was it 38-55?
It ain't that we are good shots, it's that we can't afford to buy enough shells to fill a full length magazine. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Win......your getting good on the wit!

No, the Marlin was a 30-30......no finish....very worn wood...this gun was used a lot but well taken care of...no unsightly rust or gouges....excellent shiney bore....according to the owner, its a shooter....he used it in the silhouette match yesterday.-----the guy who is missing 2 Colts.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks bud, that's quite a compliment coming from the forum cutup. :D
Thanks for the info, sounds like a good one. We don't get many old Marlins up here.

Sorry for the hijack, guys.

Hijack..........hi Jack? Hey cool! :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

:D

Jack,
The H.E. is still intact as a .455 Eley. It's a lot of fun to shoot too, not a big bang but a big old heavy bullet to thump into things. I get hollow base bullets from a guy in PA at @ 8.00 / 100. It'll shoot circles around the Webleys. :D

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jason.....cool....from what I hear and have read, most of these have been converted to 45 ACP.....if that's even possible....or is it 45 Colt?-----6

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:22 pm Jason.....cool....from what I hear and have read, most of these have been converted to 45 ACP.....if that's even possible....or is it 45 Colt?-----6
I've seen them done both ways, the .45ACP being more common. A lot of guys just turned down the rear of the cyl. to accept the 1/2 moon clips that were everywhere in those days. Accuracy sucked for the most part with the larger bores. I see the conversions going for $5-600 these days. I love the guys that try and tell you that the British ordered them that way. There's plenty of 1917s with British proofs in .45ACP but not the earlier Hand Ejectors. Not in any numbers at least.

jb 8)

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those are nice. There is a 1917 here at the shop. Solid and well made. Unfortunately I have no funds left. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olskool
Levergunner

Post by olskool »

those are beautiful! I love the old ones best.