1938 Win 71 Deluxe---MIne Now!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

1938 Win 71 Deluxe---MIne Now!

Post by vancelw »

I've got an opportunity to purchase a Winchester 71 that the serial number places about 1937.

The bolt peep is gone, and it has honest wear. There is an ugly recoil pad on it. It appears to be a deluxe rifle with 24" barrel.

What to look for in such a purchase and price range? I know it's tough with no pics, but the only ones I have are low res (flip phone :D )
I have 2 Browning 71s but would kinda like to have a real WInny.

Oooo...This new format was real easy to add multiple pics. Here they are for your critique.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vancelw on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Re: ca. 1937 Win 71 Deluxe?

Post by peter richards »

How have you been Vance? I picked one up the same, complete with bolt peep, deluxe made in 1954 in 95% condition for $4000 here in australia, I'm not sure how that translates over there mate. Nice rifles.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

i've been doing well, Peter. Need to come see you sometime! I'm working too hard to be retired....

4000 AUD seems to be about $3061 USD today. I have a chance to buy this for half that. Looks like I would need to find a bolt peep and a butt plate.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ya gotta love the look of old walnut.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

vancelw wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:48 pm i've been doing well, Peter. Need to come see you sometime! I'm working too hard to be retired....

4000 AUD seems to be about $3061 USD today. I have a chance to buy this for half that. Looks like I would need to find a bolt peep and a butt plate.

A repro bolt peep was available from Montana Vintage Arms @ $250

IMO, more than a BP will be needed to make the stock right - since it was apparently shortened when the thick pad was added, you'll also need a deluxe ( checkered, inletted for rear super-grade sling swivel base) buttstock.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yeah I figured that out later, when I spoke with my cousin who works in the shop. I misunderstand him at first. I thought he said there was a notch under the recoil pad, but the notch is missing. Someone did a good job cutting it. He pulled the pad off and sent me a picture.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1938 Win 71 Deluxe---MIne Now!

Post by vancelw »

I bought that rifle today. Got it at a very good price. Test fired it but haven't shot it for group, yet. It functions flawlessly, despite the 30 year-old gunk in the action. It definitely needs a good cleaning.

The original bolt peep is missing. Gun store is going to see if they can find it.
Stock is cut off and original butt plate missing. But. it's sporting a period Pachmayr recoil pad and LOP is 13.5". Very comfortable to shoot.
Front sight hood is missing but I always take them off anyway when I use a peep sight. I'll either find an original bolt sight, a reproduction sight, or see if Skinner has something tasteful I can use on the bolt. I don't really want to D&T the receiver for a traditional receiver sight.

I may be rehoming a High Grade Browning 71 soon.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This vendor is a dealer for a repro 98a bolt peep sight: http://oldgunsights.com/Inventory.html

They're listed @ $425 (One genie bolt peep recently sold for $675).

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What a nice looking rifle. Hope they find the peep for you.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

20170404_153752.jpg
Here are my B71 high grade rifle, B71 regular grade short rifle, and Winchester 71 Deluxe rifle.

It looks much better to me in person. I'm glad I drove the distance to buy it. That high grade B71 will be looking for a new home soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice lineup there. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.