PHOTO ADDED Question for you trappers out there

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

PHOTO ADDED Question for you trappers out there

Post by jdad »

I just found a box of #0 long spring traps. The pan is labeled "Trampa Volke" "Hecho en Mexico".

I did a Google search, but nothing came up.

I'd appreciate any info on these. Nothing special about them, but I am curious as to the age and manufacturer.

Thanks
Last edited by jdad on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Never heard of them. Only used Oneida and Newhouse.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The folks at the Fur Fish and Game magazine can probably help you.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here's the pan.

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Zero's are small, never heard of them either, but is you trap and they're still working fine, they ought to be fine, for the right size animal.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

handirifle wrote:Zero's are small, never heard of them either, but is you trap and they're still working fine, they ought to be fine, for the right size animal.
I'm not a trapper, but I found these in a roadside flea market this afternoon. There were 4 of these and 2 Victor "Easy Set" Gopher traps, in a old cardboard box. The springs are still real strong. These were too neat to pass up. :D
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

It's a rat trap - trampa is trap in Spanish. Volke is a German company that is known for sheet metal business so they probably licensed trap manufacturing in Mexico.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

The no 0 Is a small trap. It would be used for weasels.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Not quite a Manning No.9 is it?

Probably do great for muskrats & Squirrels.

Everyone oughta have a little selection of traps & Snares set asside for the hard times.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Coldfingers wrote:Everyone oughta have a little selection of traps & Snares set asside for the hard times.
Scotty
What a great idea - never even occurred to me. Thanks! :)
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

You ain't kiddin coldfingers - those Mannings are huge.....just wish I could find a good reason to buy one living here in south alabama. As far as that trap goes, I don't know if it has any collector value, but the guys at dogcatcherboy.proboards12.com would know. If you intended to use it, it should work for muskrats, barn rats, marten, and possibly mink. But, hey, I'm just a beaver trapper so what do I know.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I'm surprised Bridger :shock: Not many folks know what a Manning No9 is. My buddy is the inventor. One heck of a machinist/inventor. You should see his new prototype. It is a dogless trap, can be set, locked open with a set screw, boiled and transported in the set position stacked in a milk crate. Guarenteed not to freeze up and will hold a moose if you take the breakaway swivel out of the chainlinks.

Not something you want to get your fingers in :twisted:
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I once saw a picture of a #0 jump in the set position setting on the pan of a set No. 9. It was completely dwarfed.

Any idea what this new trap will go for? Still have the 9 inch jawspread?
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Coldfingers wrote:I'm surprised Bridger :shock: Not many folks know what a Manning No9 is. My buddy is the inventor. One heck of a machinist/inventor. You should see his new prototype. It is a dogless trap, can be set, locked open with a set screw, boiled and transported in the set position stacked in a milk crate. Guarenteed not to freeze up and will hold a moose if you take the breakaway swivel out of the chainlinks.

Not something you want to get your fingers in :twisted:
I've trapped lots of fur animals but never wolves. How can a trap be made to discriminate between a dog and a wolf? Is it a weight or behavior thing?
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

When he says dogless, that means it is set up so the pan itself hooks to the jaws to act as a trigger, instead of the pan holding down a thin piece of metal (a.k.a "dog") that holds down the jaws. It is hard to describe but when you see it it makes sense. The trap will definately catch dogs, however, having never actually held a No. 9 in my hands, my theory is that it would take a pretty big dog to be heavy enough to set one off, something on the order of a sleddog probably. But Cold could say for sure.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Cormel Forge...Bridger beat me to it. The No9 will NOT discriminate about what it holds. Last fall one of the locals caught a US Army HUMVEE out in the Tanana flats. Trap and chain ground er to a halt too! The base commander would not let the trapper keep his catch, but did return the trap undamaged.

Bridger. The new ones go for about 130.00 with or without teeth, can be made to order. Still have 9" offset jaws and will hold a moose if the chain and drag are up to the task. Being able to transport them in the set position is great on the trial as you do not have to wallow around the set site. Durn wolves are way to canny to let you get away with anything but a perfect set up.

Scotty
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I see - "dog" as in lathe dog, i.e. a catch. Thanks for the explanation - I was being dense... :oops: