To Cold To Hit The Range, So....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

To Cold To Hit The Range, So....

Post by Wildgoose »

Started casting for the upcoming season. Got all the Cowboy lever gun ammo loaded so started on BPCR stuff. :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: To Cold To Hit The Range, So....

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D :D :D .... Cool !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that looks great. good to do indoor stuff by the fire.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Yesterday I started thinking I better start casting some more bullets. No heat in the shed but it's going to warm up enough for that any day now.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's what I'd be doin' today... if the mower hadn't broke! :cry: :cry: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

WildGoose: nice looking bullet. What is it and weight? I am a Black Powder and Paper Patch bullet shooter, but the grease groove bullet you pictured looks interesting.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

very cool...winter is a great time to make bullets...I re-load a lot in the winter... :)
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

Ray Newman wrote:WildGoose: nice looking bullet. What is it and weight? I am a Black Powder and Paper Patch bullet shooter, but the grease groove bullet you pictured looks interesting.
Hi Ray,
Its a Lyman/Snover 430 grain .40 caliber. I have used it in my 40/70 SS Shiloh for many years now. I wore out the original mold from Lyman and had Steve Brooks make me this replacement. One of the best molds I own. I do most of my BPCR with a scoped roller in 45/70 these days but my grandson has taken up the sport and is using my 40 Shiloh so I am making these for him. He does his own loading and usually casting too but is busy with school and sports right now so I am doing his casting for him.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wildgoose wrote:
Ray Newman wrote:WildGoose: nice looking bullet. What is it and weight? I am a Black Powder and Paper Patch bullet shooter, but the grease groove bullet you pictured looks interesting.
Hi Ray,
Its a Lyman/Snover 430 grain .40 caliber. I have used it in my 40/70 SS Shiloh for many years now. I wore out the original mold from Lyman and had Steve Brooks make me this replacement. One of the best molds I own. I do most of my BPCR with a scoped roller in 45/70 these days but my grandson has taken up the sport and is using my 40 Shiloh so I am making these for him. He does his own loading and usually casting too but is busy with school and sports right now so I am doing his casting for him.
Tell me about the gun... what twist, etc.

BTW, if I was to leave the stickers on mine, it'd break the weight limit! :P :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

[/quote]Tell me about the gun... what twist, etc.

BTW, if I was to leave the stickers on mine, it'd break the weight limit! :P :oops:[/quote]

Hi Griff,
Bought the rifle new from Shiloh. It was delivered in June of 1997. Its a saddle rifle with cheek piece and a custom ordered standard weight barrel full octagon 30" long. I had it made with a 1-16" twist for shooting the longer heavy bullets needed for long range match shooting. It weighs in at a bit over 11 lbs. Over the years its seen many, many pounds of lead down range in both silhouette and long range buffalo type matches. Every thing from 50 to 1000 yards. I have only used two bullets in it that have truly delivered. The Seaco 740 425 grain and the Lyman/Snover 430 grain. It really likes Swiss 1 1/2 just a bit compressed at 59.5 grains weighed and drop tubed with a veg fiber .030 wad.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

WildGoose: thanks for the information about the bullet. I've heard and still hear good things about the Lyman-Snover .40.

I have a Ballard #7 Long Range (made in Cody WY when Garbe was there) that I have never shoot. Had Ballard cut a mould for it when the rifle was made. Should get it out to the range this year. But I've said that before! My Shiloh Business Riles and 25 lbs. #1 Sporter 45-2.4" always seem to take priority.

Again thanks for the information.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

SWEET!!! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: