Fruit, Vegetables - So. Idaho??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Fruit, Vegetables - So. Idaho??

Post by JohndeFresno »

Levergunners,

Right now I am just looking around because it would be terribly difficult to leave my family here, but I don't really have to go into my view of what the Left Coast has become, do I?

When I was on the East Coast area at a Southern state (which is a wonderful state), in one of the major cities known to all, I noted the vegetables at the stores were pretty consistently terrible - wilted, old from shipping, and so on. Fruit wasn't so hot, either. I won't name that area because it would only insult those who live there.

I noticed with a quick browsing search that, for one, there is Proost Farms, a family business, in Twin Falls. They apparently raise fruit and vegetables, so I would think that this means means healthy, fresh produce. I don't know how that works in the winter, because today my cell phone app tells me that it is a tiny bit chillier there than Central California - 11 deg. Fahrenheit. Can you get produce year around?

Knowing almost nothing about the food in that state (other than the fact that I memorized its shape and location at an early age because it reminds me of a radish) - here is my question. It is important to me because I have discovered that I eat on a pretty regular basis, and in fact more than once every day.

For those who live in the Southern part of Idaho - how is the:
Meat (Chicken, Pork, Beef)
Vegetables
Fruit
in that area? Is any of it shipped from far away?

And how about Jalapeno peppers - one of my favorite foods, and something I eat daily.

It is okay just to send me a PM or eMail if you can't brag about the vittles. Any comments are appreciated!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Fruit, Vegetables - So. Idaho??

Post by Blaine »

Southern Idaho is mostly high plains desert, or mountains. Lots of ranching, wheat and stuff, but it didn't strike me as a veggie growing paradise...Potatoes, of course.

I was just thinking today that if the EPA gets sorted out, and lets Kali use it's water for farming, instead of a freaking 3" silver fish, the produce should explode from there....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

We still get wonderful fruit and vegetables here in Central California, although some of it is from Mexico and elsewhere, now. There are small local farms in my area and we can visit roadside fruit and vegetable stands, despite drought conditions.

But other factors - our Governor, the violent daily crime and drive-by shootings, demonstrations, taxes, restrictive laws, etc. have ruined this state for me.

Idaho has the topography, cooler weather and non intrusive gun laws that are very appealing.

But, I like to enjoy my food - so that's the reason behind this thread!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I spent a good part of my childhood on the south side of Lake Tahoe. Spending the summer months at my grandmothers. Chasing blue belly fence lizards, feeding scorpions to the red ants, fishing and other good clean wholesome fun! I loved it, but what you are dealing with in Cali now I agree you need to get out.
Though I haven't been to Idaho, I do have an open invite from family to visit. If I go IM NOT COMING BACK! I love the high desert!
I would guess that your concerns for fruit & veggies would be ok, closer to CA farms then the south east you mentioned.

Idaho has elk, what more do you need!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I am Idaho bound, hopefully a resident there before next winter! I did go back for two weeks this past year while looking as to where I wanted to relocate to.
I drove all around Boise, Nampa, Caldwell, Homedale, Fruitland, New Plymouth, Emmett and such; never saw potato fields. I guess they are else where. I saw cattle ranches ,apples, cherries, corn, onions, alfalfa, sugar beets, wheat and hops, which to me means beer :mrgreen: .
Anyway I hit the supermarkets, Albertsons, and their produce sections were just as good as I find here in central kaliphornia.
I don't think I am going to be sacrificing anything as far as quality and availability there. What with modern distribution being what it is. AND hot peppers are among my favorite foods also John :mrgreen:

Going to finally be a free man and shuck the shackles of this friggen state.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you folks keep it up, Idaho's going to have as many US delegates as Kali........ :mrgreen:

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Idaho is a wonderful state. You will not have any trouble finding whatever groceries you desire, trucks run every day from Cali and Arizona. Yes, even jalapenos. I'm told most homes now have electricity most of the day, and some even have flush toilets. Not nearly as backward as you might think. It's close to Wyoming, so you could come over for the weekend to spend some money and get away from all the Californians. :lol: :lol: :lol:
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

With how things are shipped and moved so fast anymore most places have fresh food. You can order live lobsters online and get them a day or two. I don't think it matters like it used to.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

My trip to the South as mentioned was in April, 2004; not really ancient history. They even had trucks and refrigeration back then! So I guess it's all about the distance from the producers.

Thank you all, this was very informative and encouraging.

"M.Wun..." now that's a clever handle!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jnyork wrote:Idaho is a wonderful state. You will not have any trouble finding whatever groceries you desire, trucks run every day from Cali and Arizona. Yes, even jalapenos. I'm told most homes now have electricity most of the day, and some even have flush toilets. Not nearly as backward as you might think. It's close to Wyoming, so you could come over for the weekend to spend some money and get away from all the Californians. :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1

And if you need to be offended by Hippies, Jackson Hole is just a hop and a skip away...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I read an article in "Countryside and Small Stock Journal" a few years back about someone who built a passive-solar house in an Idaho hillside, incorporating a greenhouse as part of the passive solar heating. Roof was solar panels and served to power lights, computer, and a walk-in refrigerator.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Ironsights wrote:
jnyork wrote:Idaho is a wonderful state. You will not have any trouble finding whatever groceries you desire, trucks run every day from Cali and Arizona. Yes, even jalapenos. I'm told most homes now have electricity most of the day, and some even have flush toilets. Not nearly as backward as you might think. It's close to Wyoming, so you could come over for the weekend to spend some money and get away from all the Californians. :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1

And if you need to be offended by Hippies, Jackson Hole is just a hop and a skip away...
over a GREAT motorcycle road
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

John,

have you thought about growing your own veges? I did not get that gene switched on, I have a brown thumb. But how about some raised bed gardens and a cold frame and a root cellar, and a DEER fence?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
+1

over a GREAT motorcycle road
Back when, I hit Jackson's Hole on my Goldwing, quitting time Friday, holiday weekend. Maybe the 4th.... :o :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Grizz wrote:John,
...I have a brown thumb...
I have a black thumb. Pure death to the plants; flowers fold in their petals when I approach.

I have grown Jalapenos and others (like Fresno Chilis, Habaneros, etc.) before; but this year the little fellars either drowned or starved to death; don't know which.

But I might consider it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

John,
If you move then you can use all those 270's ya got for hunting and not just punching paper!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:I read an article in "Countryside and Small Stock Journal" a few years back about someone who built a passive-solar house in an Idaho hillside, incorporating a greenhouse as part of the passive solar heating. Roof was solar panels and served to power lights, computer, and a walk-in refrigerator.
My dad designed several of those in the 80s...

https://goo.gl/photos/bx4aVLvpisAvUHQP6

They actually work well (self heating to 56+ when -10 Outside without any insulation, gas or electric at all) ... and don't require .gov Subsidies to build. But they don't sell well because they don't look "normal".

I dearly wish to build one with modern materials...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GunnyMack wrote:John,
If you move then you can use all those 270's ya got for hunting and not just punching paper!
That is a rather huge part of my PERSONAL reason for wanting to get out of here!

When I was a teenager, you could drive almost anywhere in my part of the Central Valley or in the mountains here that adjoing Yosemite National Park and shoot, hunt, etc. Now it's all houses or claimed land. And the hunting spots have their share of big-city slickers who bring their beer and loud radios to the campsites, sight in on the morning of the hunt, and who make me very, very nervous because of their lack of knowledge of where the bullets go when they miss.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Ironsights wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:I read an article in "Countryside and Small Stock Journal" a few years back about someone who built a passive-solar house in an Idaho hillside, incorporating a greenhouse as part of the passive solar heating. Roof was solar panels and served to power lights, computer, and a walk-in refrigerator.

They actually work well (self heating to 56+ when -10 Outside without any insulation, gas or electric at all) ... and don't require .gov Subsidies to build. But they don't sell well because they don't look "normal".

I have a clever friend and former co-worker who built one at a rare site up in the foothills that had an artesian well! Sadly, he recently passed away and never got a chance to move out of the city to enjoy his off-the-grid home. It is quite a task putting up that equipment.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Methinks you're giving the South short shrift. One grocer's poor selections nothwithstanding, I think you'd find that "the South" is a foodies paradise. But, yes, you need to move, for if they don't secede, the rest of us might just oust 'em!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

In the fresh food dept. you get spoiled in Ca. It might be the only thing to be envious About! My is my middle initial and Wun is my last name. I'm the whitest half Hawaiian you will ever see.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

I have a clever friend and former co-worker who built one at a rare site up in the foothills that had an artesian well! Sadly, he recently passed away and never got a chance to move out of the city to enjoy his off-the-grid home. It is quite a task putting up that equipment.
The neat thing about this design is that there is no "equipment" unless you choose to put in PV panels. It's all about siting, glass and design.

FWIW, my dad got an award from the nascent EPA for some of his work on passive solar. I think he keeps it in the basement on a shrine to Cthulhu to keep the .gov out of his business...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have been curious about the hay bale constructed homes. Saw them on tv but never in person.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

GunnyMack wrote:I have been curious about the hay bale constructed homes. Saw them on tv but never in person.
I know of at least two in the rural area around Lander, Wy. Watched them going up and kinda shook my head, but they are still going strong years later.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:
GunnyMack wrote:I have been curious about the hay bale constructed homes. Saw them on tv but never in person.
I know of at least two in the rural area around Lander, Wy. Watched them going up and kinda shook my head, but they are still going strong years later.
I've seen those, and with no facts to go on, I wonder what happens when the hay starts to break down. Do the walls collapse?

What I have seen, and admire are the houses you put up with hollow foam blocks, and fill with concrete with a pumper....R-Gazillion insulation.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:Methinks you're giving the South short shrift. One grocer's poor selections nothwithstanding, I think you'd find that "the South" is a foodies paradise. But, yes, you need to move, for if they don't secede, the rest of us might just oust 'em!
:lol:

This weren't Texas. I was stationed in Texas for a summer and ate quite well. Liked the folks, too.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

m.wun wrote:In the fresh food dept. you get spoiled in Ca. It might be the only thing to be envious About! My is my middle initial and Wun is my last name. I'm the whitest half Hawaiian you will ever see.
Don't know if you are woofing me or not...
I read "M-1" and thus the clever handle, if that's what you've done!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Ironsights wrote: The neat thing about this design is that there is no "equipment" unless you choose to put in PV panels...
Me no understand. I'm a doctor, Jim, not a physicist!

Whatever the difference, yes my friend put up and wired this rather large complicated looking set of panels. He was a CB, amateur electronics and radio hobbyist when he was younger.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Unless you made it over near the eastern Idaho border you wouldn't see many potato farms. 90% of the potatoes grown in Idaho are in Southeastern Idaho. Vegetables are more plentifully grown in the eastern half of the state than they are in the southwestern half of the state.
As for vegetables in the off season, you'll need to be near major shipping routes like I-84, I-86, I-15, and I-90 for year round out of season vegetables shipped in. Not much in the way of vegetables home grown in Idaho in the winter.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:What I have seen, and admire are the houses you put up with hollow foam blocks, and fill with concrete with a pumper....R-Gazillion insulation.
Plus - they are nearly tornado-proof. Occupants would be ok, at least. Most traditional roofs would blow off (along with the siding), but there are designs where the roof would be unlikely to fail as well - just depends on how much money you want to spend. http://www.rewardwalls.com/blog/2013/06 ... oktornado/
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

There are major green house produce operations all over the US. Produce comes to US year round from around the world. There's less domestic production in the Winter, so the prices reflect the imports.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

BlaineG wrote:
jnyork wrote:
I've seen those, and with no facts to go on, I wonder what happens when the hay starts to break down. Do the walls collapse?

What I have seen, and admire are the houses you put up with hollow foam blocks, and fill with concrete with a pumper....R-Gazillion insulation.

Straw bale houses are hardly a new thing (the heartland had some over 100 years old). It's not just a standard hay bale stack, the bales are heavily compressed and then both the interior and exterior are heavily plastered over. Their biggest issue is ground settling and cracking the walls so the foundation must be done properly.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Food gets moved around this country every day. We have an outstanding distribution system. I have a friend in Minnesota who hauls fresh produce from California every week.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Grow your own. A hot frame and greenhouse extends your growing season.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great info.

And I see that Twin Falls, for instance, is 4 miles off I-84.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

It would be clever but should read Wun but pronounced the same. May the computer changes it. Fun either way!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JohndeFresno wrote:Great info.

And I see that Twin Falls, for instance, is 4 miles off I-84.
Twin Falls is a stunningly beautiful area....The Snake has created a mini-Grand Canyon...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

As was pointed out we have electricity and indoor plumbing in most homes. :)

Not many vegetables grown in southern Idaho this time of year, it's just a little to cold. But no problem as we have grocery stores and even a "Whole pay check" (Whole Foods) in Boise. As Long as you are relatively close to Boise, Twin Falls or Pocatello we are in the 21st century.

Shoot me an email with specific questions or email me your phone # and we can talk about the Boise area.

cfreund129@gmail.com

Chris
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Chris83716 wrote:...Shoot me an email with specific questions or email me your phone # and we can talk about the Boise area....

Chris
Thanks, Chris - I'll be in touch soon!

Thanks, all

John