Reloading The 25 Automatic Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Reloading The 25 Automatic Colt

Post by Sixgun »

Don't laugh....what do you do when someone gives you a thousand bullets for a cartridge you do not reload for? You do what any guncrank would do.....you round up the rest of the stuff you need......once fired cases...that you always lose.......Hornady Titanium Nitride dies and a shell holder. Took me about a year to round up the rest of the stuff....you know, here...there...gunshows....other guys gunrooms...etc.

So.....I loaded up 25 rounds tonight with 1.4 gr. of Bullseye and the 50 grain swaged bullet........ what a major PITA......little buggers and no cartridge tray for such little things.......I'll have to make one.........

I have this near mint Colt Pocket Model made in 1929 that I have fired about 300 rounds out of over the last 30 years.....never ever a failure to feed or eject. Once again......So........down in the gunroom I made a target backed by a chunk of yellow pine ........warned the wife upstairs......warned the dogs......and ripped off 3 rounds at the incredible distance of 6 feet......sitting down. Pop...pop....pop.....don't laugh....the front of the bullet went in .870" of this yellow pine.-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Re: Reloading The 25 Automatic Colt

Post by piller »

I don't want to be hit by that. It would hurt. How is the accuracy?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote:I don't want to be hit by that. It would hurt. How is the accuracy?

The black square on the target is 1 and 1/4" square. The group measures 3/8" but that don't mean nothing at 6 feet. I'll test and chronograph it outside tomorrow along with factory ammo at 7 yards.---6

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

There's barely room for a primer in the back of that thing. Still ... you got to shoot stuff.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

That's all real cool Jack but I would of tossed the bullets in the melting pot!!

32 H&R is a pain for me to reload

Brad
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing.....when one of my buddies gave me these bullets last year, I was thinking....."real light loads" in the 25-20......at least that is what I told him....then by brain clicked in...and that's a job all by itself.....that the 25 Auto bullets measure .251, not the needed .257. Hell, I took em anyway not saying nutin! :D ----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A real tack driver :-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice little Colt Six.

Sounds like the winter "stir crazies" are in full swing. :D
Mostly I'm just jealous, as I ain't been doin' much. :lol:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I could have used that last night!
Yesterday morning while I was having my morning constitutional a mouse sneaks out of my shower stall and runs behind the throne!
Last night I set a trap, half hour later I got one, it's dragging the trap around. I go to dispatch it. Caught by a foot, I tried to whack it but it pulled its foot free.
Reset the trap and an hour later SNAP, again by the foot, this time I planted a coup de gras and gave it a burial at sea!
This morning I had another one but it was DRT.
That 25 has always been a 'Mouse gun' but I tell ya I wouldn't want to be shot with it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Roach and mice wouldn't make it thru your cave. I always wanted a Contender 25acp barrel but the .251 diameter always stopped me. That and I figured Id pinch my fingers and ruin my nails handling those small bullets and casings.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love reading the arguments on the net about the .25 ACP, some folks claim it's no better than a BB gun others claim to have been shot several times by one and not even noticed till later, yet real crime reports often record people being shot dead with the lowly .25 ACP. :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Nice little pistol! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I was in a bar one night and saw the barmaid, Marcella shoot some guy in the forehead. He simply turned, walked to the end of the bar and went out the side door. I found out later that the bullet stayed under the skin and was found intact at the back of the head. I know, I shouldn't have been in that place. The guy recovered just fine. I guess his skull was very thick.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

OldWin wrote:Nice little Colt Six.
That's what I was thinking too! Forget the bullets - that's another fine old gun Sixgun has! :mrgreen:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I remember reading that it is very challenging to get the uniform powder charges that this little case requires. Read that in the Hornaday manual I believe. Maybe it was Speer. Then add trying to place the tiny bullet on the tiny case for seating. I don't think I would want to bother with it.

Hard to pass up free components when you have a suitable gun though.

Isn't there a 25 NAA also? A 32 acp necked to 25 I believe.

Something like a 32 long or H&R, or maybe a 38 necked to 25 might be interesting in a single shot.

The most practical solution is probably the suggestion above to toss them in your lead pot and make some real bullets!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That's a pretty Colt Six.

I admit to have everything I need to load for the mighty .25 also. I've even got moulds. Never have done it though.

M M Wright, I've heard that same (or similar) story but with both the 9mm and the .45 ACP. I believe 'em, too. Skulls are tough and round. Hit it at an angle with a round nosed bullet and away you go.

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhhh.....rain...rain...all day.....could not get the chrono out. Tomorrow is another day......

But......on a bright note........"The Donald" had a beauuuuuutifle speech! He's got big ones!

The little Colt is a very nice gun, retaining near all of its blue and color casehardening with functionality to match. I've had it since the early to mid eighties and take it out once or twice a year to give it a workout or whenever I find 25 ammo for cheap.---- Stay tuned to this local channel----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

years ago I shot a lot of CCI stingers, my feral meow medicine. One day I took a head on at about 25 yards, cat did a back flip got up and ran! I got another chance at it a few weeks later, found the bullet had followed the skull under the skin. I switched to round nose after that.

My high school bio teacher had a cape buff skull with 3 bullet holes in the center of the boss BUT 2 were slightly healed over!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
OldWin wrote:Nice little Colt Six.
That's what I was thinking too! Forget the bullets - that's another fine old gun Sixgun has! :mrgreen:
Ole Six is a magnet for cool old guns. It's uncanny. And if that ain't enough, they're all pretty and minty.

Good for you Bro, couldn't happen to a more stand up dude. :D

Now, somewhere around here I got an old WW2 bring back Duo in .25acp. It don't look like Six's Colt, but with a little Kroil and 0000 wool, it cleaned up ok.
It might even work, but I haven't tried it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Ole Six is a magnet for cool old guns. It's uncanny. And if that ain't enough, they're all pretty and minty.

Ya know somethin' Jay? I can't figure it out either. I really don't do much...this stuff just shows up with very very little work. Look what just fell on the gun bench....a 10" Ruger Flattop 44 Mag. made in 1960 .......with factory stags.

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Come on Six don't mess with that thing, Paper patch those bullets and shoot them in the 25-20. Think of it has therapy!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

EdinCT wrote:Come on Six don't mess with that thing, Paper patch those bullets and shoot them in the 25-20. Think of it has therapy!

Funny you said that....these bullets are dead soft swaged and mike .252. I bet 5-6 grains of Bullseye would expand em up real nice and give me 1800 fps. Might only work for 5 rounds but that's what life is for....having fun. :D ---6

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool little Colt but that .44 is a Trophy Jack!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I sometimes carry my old Beretta 950 in 24 and my brother in law picked up one of these fine old Colts in 25 last year. I'm amazed how good the little bugger shoots, I know the 25 isn;t much, but sometimes it;s on you when you wouldn't maybe be carrying a bigger gun.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I remember reading somewhere an opinion that "one could die from a 25ACP just not be killed by it".
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I like the Colt .25ACP, but I really like the Ruger falt-top...nice guns, thanks for sharing... :)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Holy Smokes Jack! That is a beautiful flat top. The grips just make the whole thing.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

for some reason I cant picture you shoot'n that little thing.......but it is a keeper...
nice flat top!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Always wondered how much it could be wound up and sent down a rifle barrel.
Surely it would make standard LR velocity?

When your finished with the shell holder you can send it to me for pulling WMR bullets for 'improving' :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!