Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 444

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool. I have a 1970's one, and a 2004 or so 'XLR' version. Both GREAT shooters. Glad to see them still being made. The 1:20 twist really helps them run long-for-caliber bullets.

I'd love to have one of mine shortened and threaded for a suppressor..... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mine early 70s, MG rifling, nothing special except it's accurate as heck with factory sights. I don't really want to sell it, but I'll have to load it down some because my shoulder sucks these days......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I won't buy a new one . But thought someone might be intrested .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:Cool. I have a 1970's one, and a 2004 or so 'XLR' version. Both GREAT shooters. Glad to see them still being made. The 1:20 twist really helps them run long-for-caliber bullets.

I'd love to have one of mine shortened and threaded for a suppressor..... 8)
I tried doing sub sonic in my 19" barreled model Micro groove one with 265 grain lead bullets . I had thoughts of threading and suppressing if I could get sub sonic to shoot well enough to suit me , but it didn't shoot well enough to suit me .
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I have a Winchester 94 AE in 444, have not hunted with it yet, I added a scope and would
like to go bear hunting with it. I don't know what the realistic distance would be, do any
of you have experience with the 444 in terms of distance ?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

daisygordoninc wrote:I have a Winchester 94 AE in 444, have not hunted with it yet, I added a scope and would
like to go bear hunting with it. I don't know what the realistic distance would be, do any
I've shot several of the ones I had or have out to 200 yards with cast bullets . But that was mainly for the thought of shooting in the hunting rifle class of a CBA match . But I was using the same loads I'd hunt with , that being a Ranch Dog 432-265GC bullet and 50-52 grains of H322 .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

daisygordoninc wrote:I have a Winchester 94 AE in 444, have not hunted with it yet, I added a scope and would
They provide what a 44 Mag from a carbine provides - only 'way out there'. I can't quote a range, but ballistics tables will tell you that. As far as hitting the target, you will just want to be sure (like with any other cartridge) that once the drop gets more than an inch-per-yard you're going to need to know your range really accurately, so again, the ballistics tables can help you there as well.

However, nothing beats actual experience, so hopefully a 444 bear-hunter chimes in.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The Hornady FLEX TIP loading supposedly makes it a practical 300 yard hunting cartridge. I have a scoped BB 94 also. Great gun, but have never shot it past 100 yards.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I seriously doubt any I've met could hold an 8" circle at 300 yards on the first shot without a benchrest.

Like any other hunting round, the maximum distance you can hit a 6" plate with the FIRST shot is yuor ethical limit. That distance will vary depending on shooting position and solid rest of course.

Sighted 3" high at 100 yards, the 240-gr 444 will impact 3" low at 200 yards, making a mean PB range of 203 yards. It will impact about 25" low? at 300 yards. That's a rainbow. Energy is good at range but the 44 is not my choice for a 200+ humane shot.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I have a couple, used to have five of them. Had 2-Black Shadows and 3 Timber Carbines...sold one of the 94 BS to a buddy of mine about six or seven years ago, gave a Timber Carbine to each of my boys. Kept one Black Shadow and one Timber Carbine.

The Black Shadow is scoped and the Timber Carbine has a Williams FP receiver sight. Pretty much use the Timber Carbine for the vast majority of my hunting.

That being said...I load for all of them, and seems as though everyone has a preference.

My buddy seems to like the 240 JSP's with 47.5 Grains of H4198...his Black Shadow is sighted in with a 0 at 150 yards. Hits the paper plate at a hundred a couple of inches high and the paper plate at 200 on the bottom edge...he says that is fine.

My kids have their Timber Carbine's sighted in at 100 and barely hit the bottom of the 150 yard plate...they think that is fine.

Me...as an overall hunting round that is fine, but am experimenting with both the 225 Flex Tip and the 265 Flex Tip...the first go around with the 225's and 49.0 grains of H4198 were a bit surprising. 0 at 150 gave me an inch high at 100 and 2 inches low at 200...soon as the weather breaks I am going to try it at 300(two plates one atop the other, aim for the high one).
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
I have a couple, used to have five of them. Had 2-Black Shadows and 3 Timber Carbines...sold one of the 94 BS to a buddy of mine about six or seven years ago, gave a Timber Carbine to each of my boys. Kept one Black Shadow and one Timber Carbine.

The Black Shadow is scoped and the Timber Carbine has a Williams FP receiver sight. Pretty much use the Timber Carbine for the vast majority of my hunting.

That being said...I load for all of them, and seems as though everyone has a preference.

My buddy seems to like the 240 JSP's with 47.5 Grains of H4198...his Black Shadow is sighted in with a 0 at 150 yards. Hits the paper plate at a hundred a couple of inches high and the paper plate at 200 on the bottom edge...he says that is fine.

My kids have their Timber Carbine's sighted in at 100 and barely hit the bottom of the 150 yard plate...they think that is fine.

Me...as an overall hunting round that is fine, but am experimenting with both the 225 Flex Tip and the 265 Flex Tip...the first go around with the 225's and 49.0 grains of H4198 were a bit surprising. 0 at 150 gave me an inch high at 100 and 2 inches low at 200...soon as the weather breaks I am going to try it at 300(two plates one atop the other, aim for the high one).
The little 444 Soup Nazi on MO was always big on H4198 and that alone kinda soured that powder for me . I have used it with a good many different weight cast bullets . And to be honest it did well enough with most of them for hunting .