A medical "this ain't right"...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

A medical "this ain't right"...

Post by Old Ironsights »

So... I am radically anaphylactoid to cooked fish. Mostly ocean fish, but some fresh water as well - but I'm fine with sashimi. I've known this for almost 20 years.

But because of this, I get ZERO Omega 3s in my diet, and being ALA minimal, I'm really beginning to feel it. (All the standard DHA deficient stuff).

So, I've been trying, and failing, to come up with a "non-fish" Omega 3 that (A) works and (B) isn't 3x as expensive as Fish Oil because it says "Bad Hunter/Skeletor" ("vegan") on the bottle.

Anyway, so I am now working as a Sterile Processing Tech (surgical tool dishwasher) at the "biggest" hospital in the county (less than 10 procedures a day :roll: ) and have talked to the double handful of docs that come through... asking each about Fish Oil capsules and my allergy.

Not a one had a clue, but all said: "Buy a bottle. Don't take a capsule, but cut one open and dump it onto a plate. If your reaction is REALLY bad, you will react to it coming in contact with your fingers when you cut it open. If THAT doesn't happen, SMELL the plate with the oil on it (I've had respiratory compromise from just being around sea fish cooking) If you don't react, then touch a fingertip in the oil and taste it. If no reaction, THEN try a single capsule - and have your Epi-Pen handy".

Well... I had NO reaction to ANY of the above, but I still can't eat smoked salmon or be around quantities of cooked fish (and I used to love fish... and still love sushi/sashimi) but the whole mixed up mess is making me crazier than I already cop to.

It's just nuts, but it seems like Fish Oil in capsules is not the same as Fish Oil on a fry pan... but how do they get the fish oil without volatilizing it? ??? :?
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: A medical "this ain't right"...

Post by AJMD429 »

Other good omega-3 sources:

Flaxseed oil - can buy capsules, liquid, or crushed seeds
Hemp oil - decent source, but due to possibility it has 1/10,000th the amount of THC as 'weed' some avoid it :roll:
Walnut oil - available as a liquid at local health-food stores
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:Other good omega-3 sources:

Flaxseed oil - can buy capsules, liquid, or crushed seeds
Hemp oil - decent source, but due to possibility it has 1/10,000th the amount of THC as 'weed' some avoid it :roll:
Walnut oil - available as a liquid at local health-food stores
Yeah, but I'm an ALA non-processor. I can't synthesize DHA/EPA from ALA sources in any useful quantities. Tried that.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hoping you figure out the ABCs of your issues.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think some of the fish oil on the market is from Menhaden( bunker). If you buy salmon oil then it should be salmon. It could be that you allergic to salmon but not menhaden...
I saw a show a while back about how they make it, as far as I remember, they just press the fish to get the oil and then filter it- A LOT!

I would suggest finding a good nutritionist. Do you have nut allergies? Nuts have -3&-6 oils.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:Hoping you figure out the ABCs of your issues.
PDQ at that...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

GunnyMack wrote:I think some of the fish oil on the market is from Menhaden( bunker). If you buy salmon oil then it should be salmon. It could be that you allergic to salmon but not menhaden...
I saw a show a while back about how they make it, as far as I remember, they just press the fish to get the oil and then filter it- A LOT!

I would suggest finding a good nutritionist. Do you have nut allergies? Nuts have -3&-6 oils.
Not just salmon, but Sole and a Mackerel (known) as well.

And again, any land-based Omega-3 is ALA. The only DHA/EPA plant based is Algae and that is both massive (pill size) and massive $$$
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Your doc should recognize over-the-counter sources can be deadly, and should prescribe a safe source supplement.
Without you having to ask.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

mohavesam wrote:Your doc should recognize over-the-counter sources can be deadly, and should prescribe a safe source supplement.
Without you having to ask.

Apparently, you are mistaken.

:? :wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

"Some", not all Docs, are dim. VA took me off of a very mild HydroCodone that I was on for 12 years, that worked very good, that didn't addict me whatsoever, and replaced it with a 4% Lidocain oinkment....Freaking itch cream. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm still waiting for a response from a couple of food scientists, but here's an interesting bit:

http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/fish-oil.html

http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/allergy-fish-oil.html
Fish Allergies and Omega 3 Supplements

But what would happen if you’re allergic to fish and you’re want to use fish oils for the health benefits from the omega 3 fatty acids? Is this safe for you to do?

Scientists believe that one of the main culprits responsible for allergies to fish oils is the fish proteins. Researchers claims that some peoples’ immune systems may be overly sensitive when exposed to these types of proteins which may cause an allergic reaction.

Fortunately, you can actually get fish oil supplements that don’t contain any of these fish proteins and this is all due to how way they are processed.

For example, there’s a special manufacturing process called Molecular-distillation that’s used to create highly-concentrated omega 3 fish oil supplements that are virtually free of these allergy-causing fish proteins. Nordic Natural Ultimate Omega 3 Supplement is an example of such a product; the manufacturer claims this product doesn’t contain any fish proteins due to the special processing technique used to make the oil.

Fish oil capsules may also contain fish proteins in the actual capsule or soft gel. The majority of fish oil soft gels are made from a gelatin that’s usually made from fish collagen. Collagen is made from the fibrous protein found in animal connective tissue, bones and skin.

Although side effects from fish oils are rare, an allergy to fish oil is not something to ignore. If you’re considering taking fish oil supplements, it’s best to consult with your Physician or Allergist before doing so.
Other info on the site briefly discusses the molecular change in fish oil when volatilized during heating. So, for me, if the fish product isn't heated beyond a certain temp, I'm good (cause I love me some sashimi... and it's the only fish I can eat...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am not sure about Krill oil. It may be worth a try.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd consider trying 'Vascepa' which is highly-purified eicosapentaenoic acid sold as a vascular health supplement (thus the name). It is a prescription item and of course overpriced due to the IDIOTS who insisted 20 years ago that insurance should cover everything. So, if you happen to have good insurance, it could be inexpensive (but the savings won't offset the cost of your insurance). If you have cheaper insurance, you will have a huge co-pay, and without insurance, it is really expensive.
BlaineG wrote:"Some", not all Docs, are dim. VA took me off of a very mild HydroCodone that I was on for 12 years, that worked very good, that didn't addict me whatsoever, and replaced it with a 4% Lidocain oinkment....Freaking itch cream. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's because they are now taught that NODOBY should ever get a narcotic prescription, because EVERYBODY will become addicted to them, even if they are just on them after an injury or surgery. We are also taught that ALL non-narcotic alternatives are ALWAYS more effective, and ALWAYS safer, than those evil narcotics. We are taught that prescribing a narcotic to someone with chronic pain is incredibly risky, and it will likely kill them, even though statistically, prescribing birth control pills to a 30 year old woman is more likely to result in her death than prescribing 'narcotics' to a typical patient. I have never seen a patient taking prescribed narcotics as directed have liver damage, kidney damage, angina, seizures, hallucinations, syncope, morning fogginess, or serious problems (like hallucinations, seizures) if they miss a dose, yet I've seen all of those side effects with the "safer alternatives" of Cymbalta, Elavil, Neurontin, Lyrica, Ultram, acetaminophen, and Naprosyn. So when an intelligent physician gets told by 'experts' (usually politicians, or academics heavily influenced by the insurance lobby) that "narcotics are never appropriate for pain lasting more than two or three days", instead of just nodding and acquiescing to do what may NOT be in the best interest of the patient, they need to have the integrity to honor their Hippocratic Oath, do what is the best for the patient, and not be afraid to point out that the Emperor has no clothes, when being told things that do not make physiologic or pharmacologic sense.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote:I'd consider trying 'Vascepa' which is highly-purified eicosapentaenoic acid sold as a vascular health supplement (thus the name). It is a prescription item and of course overpriced due to the IDIOTS who insisted 20 years ago that insurance should cover everything. So, if you happen to have good insurance, it could be inexpensive (but the savings won't offset the cost of your insurance). If you have cheaper insurance, you will have a huge co-pay, and without insurance, it is really expensive.
BlaineG wrote:"Some", not all Docs, are dim. VA took me off of a very mild HydroCodone that I was on for 12 years, that worked very good, that didn't addict me whatsoever, and replaced it with a 4% Lidocain oinkment....Freaking itch cream. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's because they are now taught that NODOBY should ever get a narcotic prescription, because EVERYBODY will become addicted to them, even if they are just on them after an injury or surgery. We are also taught that ALL non-narcotic alternatives are ALWAYS more effective, and ALWAYS safer, than those evil narcotics. We are taught that prescribing a narcotic to someone with chronic pain is incredibly risky, and it will likely kill them, even though statistically, prescribing birth control pills to a 30 year old woman is more likely to result in her death than prescribing 'narcotics' to a typical patient. I have never seen a patient taking prescribed narcotics as directed have liver damage, kidney damage, angina, seizures, hallucinations, syncope, morning fogginess, or serious problems (like hallucinations, seizures) if they miss a dose, yet I've seen all of those side effects with the "safer alternatives" of Cymbalta, Elavil, Neurontin, Lyrica, Ultram, acetaminophen, and Naprosyn. So when an intelligent physician gets told by 'experts' (usually politicians, or academics heavily influenced by the insurance lobby) that "narcotics are never appropriate for pain lasting more than two or three days", instead of just nodding and acquiescing to do what may NOT be in the best interest of the patient, they need to have the integrity to honor their Hippocratic Oath, do what is the best for the patient, and not be afraid to point out that the Emperor has no clothes, when being told things that do not make physiologic or pharmacologic sense.
The ones who are taking it for a legitimate issue are never a problem for me as a Pharmacist. The ones who start liking it are the ones who become an issue, but they are no longer taking it for a legitimate problem. When they take more than prescribed, and refuse to talk to their Doctor about their pain level, then I worry. Pain is an individual issue, but it is real. The Doctor and the Patient should be able to discuss it and find a solution. The law gets me involved. It kinda sucks to see people with issues such as degenerative disks not getting the relief they need so they can function as close to normal as possible, and the laws force me to be a policeman when that happens. I don't mind turning the abusers in, but they are the ones who fake prescriptions, sell the medicine, and other behaviors like that. Lidocaine applied topically does not do anywhere near as much as hydrocodone with acetaminophen. I am one of the ones limited to weird things because my liver does not process acetaminophen at all, and it poisons me rather badly and quickly. A maximum dose of acetaminophen for most people will cause immediate and irreversible liver damage to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost