Survival and a gallon zip-lock baggie.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Survival and a gallon zip-lock baggie.

Post by AJMD429 »

As I headed out for a woods-walk in six-degree weather it dawned on me that I'd not likely survive the night if I needed to stay out, since I hadn't dressed for that.

I then mused on what I'd have to have with me if I were setting out for a few weeks, in order to survive in the woods in winter. Lots of 'stuff', and lots of know-how I don't possess.

On the other hand, were I headed into the city, I could carry all I'd need in one quart zip-lock bag; I'd just stuff it with $100 bills...! That would assure me water, shelter, food, and with enough of 'em, I could last week's or months, or even years. Long enough to find a job and get more of 'em.

But out away from 'civilization' few of us could pack enough in that bag to survive long. Even if allowed a fifty-pound pack, few could last a week in six-degree weather, and hardly any a month or so. Yet our ancestors did.

Acknowledging my modern-day inadequacy, I guess I'll go read some Jack London, and sip some Jack Daniels, cozy inside and warmed by my wood stove, while the thermometer goes sub-zero outside.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Survival and a gallon zip-lock baggie.

Post by walks with gun »

I got turned around pretty good on a grouse hunting trip years ago, and after that decided to put together a small survival kit just in case. I have to travel light when hunting so just carry a SXS 20 gauge, with two boxes of shells, one slug and one or two buckshot, leatherman, and my kit that only contains a large garbage bag, I can cut small holes in and wear under my vest, a space blanket, cheap compass, few candles, matches, lighter, couple muscle relaxers (in case my back locks up again) several paper towels, for fire starting and emergency TP, very small light pocket knife and carry this in a folded zip lock bag I could rip the end out and wear under my cap to help hold in some heat. Pretty small and light kit, but better than nothing for roaming the woods.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Doc,
Read Osborn Russel's Journal.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Those are good thoughts Doc. That's the thinking that saves your life.
I try to do this when I'm out stompin around. It's the stuff you don't think of that gets you. When I was out snowshoeing Friday, most of my time was in woods around no trails. There is a lot of snow, but the going is good on shoes. However, if you break a harness, you better be able to repair it. Too much snow to walk in, so a nice leisurely 2hr snowshoe trip could get you a night in the woods. It was -8 on Saturday morning.
I try to avoid snowshoes with those stupid plastic twist knobs and ratchets for harnesses. Can't fix em. I prefer nylon straps with fastex buckles. Carry a couple buckles and some strap. Light and small.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

AJMD429 wrote:
Acknowledging my modern-day inadequacy, I guess I'll go read some Jack London, and sip some Jack Daniels, cozy inside and warmed by my wood stove, while the thermometer goes sub-zero outside.
A very good common-sense approach to survival techniques. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I suspect that "back in the day" a fella could shoot as many critters as he wanted/needed. A couple pounds of salt, lard, coffee, tobacco, corn meal and bullets for a few months, and you're set. I wouldn't want to try it. :shock:
A while back, when I still had a back, and legs, I'd hike in a few miles and I'd have a little day pack with enough food/water and "stuff" to last a couple days....Of course, people knew where I was at, and I'd put a note on the windshield of the rig if I was alone.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

If I'm going out of sight of vehicle or home, I have something basic. The further the distance, the more I carry. All kits have knife and ability to start a fire, water, ability to heat water (if you cant heat water, you can't purify it for drinking, giardia is NOT something you want to tempt), small bottle of bleach (two drops per quart/liter purifies water, iodine is horrible and I don't know why people even use it), a space blanket and at the least some high calorie snacks. I rarely have that little of gear. My basic take every where pack has several ways of starting a fire, filter, space blanket and space bag, basic first aid kit with a few large bandages (including a couple women's panty liners) and tourniquet, a couple MRE's, metal cup, silk weight top and bottom, several kinds of over the counter pain relievers, hydration pouch, two layers of gloves, watch cap and couple pairs of wool socks. That is the bare minimum and basically copies what I would take in a 1 day patrol pack. I have a bunch of other junk too but would take to long to list and it starts adding lot of weight. I also have much more comprehensive and heavier packs, but I do things like that for a living and most people can't and shouldn't carry that much stuff without some serious conditioning. You need water, calories, fire/warmth. Many ideas of necessity diverge after that. If you take meds or need glasses have them in your kit.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJMD429 wrote:
On the other hand, were I headed into the city, I could carry all I'd need in one quart zip-lock bag; I'd just stuff it with $100 bills...! That would assure me water, shelter, food, and with enough of 'em, I could last week's or months, or even years. Long enough to find a job and get more of '
That's gotta be the best survival advice ever! :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

ALWAYS, bring a wife or girlfriend with you, you will have plenty of advice on what you shoulda, woulda, coulda done. Besides, anger will help keep you warm.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

walks with gun wrote:ALWAYS, bring a wife or girlfriend with you, you will have plenty of advice on what you shoulda, woulda, coulda done. Besides, anger will help keep you warm.

Har, har. :lol:

More truth than fiction there.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

walks with gun wrote:ALWAYS, bring a wife or girlfriend with you, you will have plenty of advice on what you shoulda, woulda, coulda done. Besides, anger will help keep you warm.
I am an adrenaline junkie and enjoy near death experiences, so I'm going to share this with my wife.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

sore shoulder, let us know how this goes, if you can.