Rare Early Whitney Kennedy 45-60 Rifle Double Set Triggers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Rare Early Whitney Kennedy 45-60 Rifle Double Set Triggers

Post by Shrapnel »

I just picked up this original Whitney Kennedy last week. I am anticipating shooting it soon...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rare Early Whitney Kennedy 45-60 Rifle Double Set Trigge

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a beaut!
Don't see many of the 'other' makes anymore!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't remember seeing one of those....Congrats :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

It is an extremely early gun with "S" lever, sling swivels and double set triggers. There weren't that many Whitney Kennedy rifles made to begin with, let alone these features. I already have 3 other Whitney rifles, a 44-40 rifle, 44-40 SRC, and a 45-60 SRC.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

That is in fine shape!
Glad it found a good home where it will be used again!

Tanks for posting.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a gorgeous WK, and beyond it's superb condition, it's a rare variation too! Great find!!!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

That is a beaut!! Not knowing much about them, how do those rifles take a 44-40 and a 45-60 in the same action or is there a small frame version? Very nice gun!!

Irv
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Daisyman wrote:That is a beaut!! Not knowing much about them, how do those rifles take a 44-40 and a 45-60 in the same action or is there a small frame version? Very nice gun!!

Irv
Same action, although some people call the larger caliber guns "Large Frame" even though they are the same.

Here are the 2 SRC top in 44-40, bottom in 45-60

44-40 SRC...

45-60 SRC...

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Wow, those are really nice Shrapnel. Rare rifle in a rare configuration. Their condition is not to be believed. Congrats.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Very nice! I don't know anything about 'em... from the looks, I take they're a top-eject like the Winchester?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Whitney Kennedy shares a lot of design similarities with the 1881 Marlin, and Colt Burgess. A lot of Burgess patent influences in all three gun models. All are top eject.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

What a beautiful addition to your collection! The condition of that rifle is amazing. I might have missed where you mentioned it, but what year do you think it was made? I am very impressed with the fact that it is in 45-60 caliber. If it is the same as the Winchester 45-60, it would put a 300 grain slug out the barrel at just over 1,300 fps .... a lot more punch than the 44-40.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

KirkD wrote:What a beautiful addition to your collection! The condition of that rifle is amazing. I might have missed where you mentioned it, but what year do you think it was made? I am very impressed with the fact that it is in 45-60 caliber. If it is the same as the Winchester 45-60, it would put a 300 grain slug out the barrel at just over 1,300 fps .... a lot more punch than the 44-40.
This rifle also has a unique rear sight with integrated elevation ladder. It is a very early "experimental" model has a serial number under 300, with no letter prefix and a C.F. mark on the barrel after the caliber stamp. it must be made in the early 1880's. I have another 45-60 in a SRC but it is later and has a loop lever.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is a real beauty..... i have one in 44 but never got one in a rifle caliber like 45/60, though i have tried !
cable
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

marlinman93 wrote:The Whitney Kennedy shares a lot of design similarities with the 1881 Marlin, and Colt Burgess.
What are the quirks of the Whitney Kennedy? For instance, I've read feeding from magazine to chamber wasn't the most reliable on the early 1881 models.

That's a very nice looking example, Shrapnel.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

KWK wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:The Whitney Kennedy shares a lot of design similarities with the 1881 Marlin, and Colt Burgess.
What are the quirks of the Whitney Kennedy? For instance, I've read feeding from magazine to chamber wasn't the most reliable on the early 1881 models.

That's a very nice looking example, Shrapnel.

I haven't had any feeding problems with mine, but I haven't shot them near as much as my Winchesters. They are extremely smooth, but the lever throw is very long and that could create a problem.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've only owned two Whitney Kennedys. One in .44-40 and another in .40-60. I didn't have ay issues with cycling in either gun. I was collecting pre WWI Marlin rifles at the time, and stumbled across the two Whitneys at different times. I always thought they were a really nice gun, and very significant part of firearms history. I still own a Whitney, but the one I have is a Whitney-Laidley split breech in .45-70. A huge improvement on the Remington Rolling Block designed rifle.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Shrapnel wrote:They are extremely smooth, but the lever throw is very long and that could create a problem.
The smooth part sounds familiar. Somewhere on my shelves is a book covering only the Burgess patent rifles. I should go find it and read up on the Kennedy. Congratulations again on a great find.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

marlinman93 wrote:I've only owned two Whitney Kennedys. One in .44-40 and another in .40-60. I didn't have ay issues with cycling in either gun. I was collecting pre WWI Marlin rifles at the time, and stumbled across the two Whitneys at different times. I always thought they were a really nice gun, and very significant part of firearms history. I still own a Whitney, but the one I have is a Whitney-Laidley split breech in .45-70. A huge improvement on the Remington Rolling Block designed rifle.
Here are a couple Whitney Phoenix rifles. Simple, yet functional. I can't find any definite connection to Burgess on this design, but still a useable design for a single shot...

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Over on YouTube, a search for Whitney Kennedy leads one to a few videos on the Kennedy rifle. From mannyCA is a nice video on taking it apart, which shows all the internals. The video from Forgotten Weapons gives some of the history behind them, and they also have a video on Whitney's Scharf lever action.

Maybe Uberti will have a go at these some day.
Last edited by KWK on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

What a find! Beautiful piece of rare history. :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't believe the Phoenix had any Burgess patents used? I think (not sure) that Whitney totally designed the Phoenix on their own. It was a pretty simple design, and a low cost gun to buy. They were made at the same time Whitney built Rolling Block style singles, but I see far more Phoenix than Whitney Rolling Blocks, so guess they sold better.
This is my Whitney Laidley in .45-70:

Mine was missing the tang sight, so a friend built this one for me: