Reloading press lighting systems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Reloading press lighting systems

Post by Malamute »

I'm probably the last person in the western world to know about this, but somebody is making lighting systems for reloading presses. Id tried to figure out a way to do it so I could see in the charged case with a Dillon 550, but zip tying an LED flashlight on the press is a bit lame (if cheaper) than a system that's dedicated for the purpose. Really like the one for the 550, it sits right in the top center of the toolhead, illuminating the entire shell plate area. The extra strip light addition would probably also be nice.

http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lighting
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading press lighting systems

Post by GunnyMack »

That's pretty nifty!
I'm sure a handy guy could find led's online and rig something up for less then retail, of course Murphy would probably show up and cause all kinds of havoc like a wire breaking and a stray spark setting fire to powder! Might be worth the $35 !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Here's the Hornady strip light on my 550.

Pros:
  • Electric powers
    No batteries
    Stays in place
Cons:
  • Needs electricity
    hard wired
    STILL hard to see in bottle-necks
I have one mounted on both my 550s..
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

A couple of months ago I discovered that they make LED tubes to replace fluorescent bulbs. My reloading area is lit by old fluorescent fixtures, and upon replacing with LEDs and a little wiggling of the old fixture I got a really nice bright LED almost directly over my progressive. I can now look down in and see the powder, even in a 22 cal bottleneck (if it has a reasonable fill percentage so powder is above half or so...).

Costco had some 4' LED fixtures with pigtail plug for $15 a few weeks ago. If I hadn't been able to get one of my old fixtures in position I would have used one of these to do the same overhead lighting job.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When I first read it I thought to myself, "Ah, I got enough pelosi". As I already have a strong overhead light I figured it to be worthless. Then I started thinking, "hey, with a progressive press little things are always going wrong. Dang! I'm gettin' me one of those. Thanks Malamute!-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Griff wrote:Here's the Hornady strip light on my 550.
I have that one too and have posted about it before; it works really well too.

But I'll admit I'd have gotten the top-dead-center mounted one if I'd seen that first.

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Griff, they make a battery one, in the Q&A they said it went for months of regular use.

I do like the center mounted one, it shines right down on top of everything. Yeah Six, Ive been thinking for a while on how to better see right down into cases on the plate and to be able to keep up with whats going on better.

I missed when Old No 7 posted before about the lights.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have the center mounted, battery powered ones... but I like the strip better. I have the strip bent to it comes right to the edge of the toolhead... I can see into most everything, but like earlmck said, those 223 cases need to have a better than 50% fill.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ah, ok.

It may be a while before I get relao0ding stuff set up again. Looking forward to seeing how the lights work out though.

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

For those interested in the Hornady LED Strip Light, here's how mine is mounted (not using any adhesive on the last 1" or so), and in this way the top can easily slide in and out as needed:
LED Press Light (4) (Small).jpg
And here you can see how well it illuminates the shell plate area and case with powder -- or maybe not! :shock:
LED Press Light (3) (Small).jpg
Great, we got some powder in this one!!! :wink:
LED Press Light (5) (Small).jpg
Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

MMM me want!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like the blue yew that the light gives out. Reminds me of the time when Griff took me out and introduced me to his favorite T-bar. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD