Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ordered this thing last week from Whitakers in Owensboro KY !

The stock on the Howa is not a Hogue over mold . It just like a hard plastic and supposedly it's piller bedded . I checked the trigger and as I recieved it 3 pounds 2 ounces average .

The gun with nothing weighs 5 pounds 12 ounces . With a Leupold VX1 3-9 and mounts weighs 6 pounds 12 ouces . The clip for the thing only holds 5 rounds so I would assume with 5 rounds in the clip another in the chamber and a sling it will weigh no more then 7 1/4 pounds .

I think if I can get it to shoot well enough to suit me it should be about perfect for the wife both weight wise and recoil wise !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got 5 boxes of factory for this thing all loaded with the Hornady 123 SST . But I wish Alexander Arms would hurry up and get my Grendel upper , 200 pieces of brass and my set of Redding dies !
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Cute little rifle.

Is Howa or anybody else currently doing the mini action with wood stock and regular fixed internal magazine?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Don't know if Howa makes one in wood stock but Boyd's might have a laminate for it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You can get a Zastava (same as the Remington 799) in 7.62x39 in a walnut stock . And you could rebarrel to a Grendel if you were so inclined .
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My grandson has a Howa 7mm-08 and it is very accurate. It has a green Hogue stock with soft recoil pad. It came with the action in a short beginners stock and a longer adult stock and now that he is 5 foot 10, it is time to swap stocks. :)
Pic below was a 220 yard shot from an elevated blind.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

crs wrote:My grandson has a Howa 7mm-08 and it is very accurate. It has a green Hogue stock with soft recoil pad. It came with the action in a short beginners stock and a longer adult stock and now that he is 5 foot 10, it is time to swap stocks. :)
Pic below was a 220 yard shot from an elevated blind.

Very nice ! The folks I got the Howa Grendel from have 6.5 Creedmoors in pretty much the same configuration for almost $100 LESS then I paid for the Grendel . I just might have to add a Creedmoor to my accumulation :wink:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

6pt-sika wrote:You can get a Zastava (same as the Remington 799) in 7.62x39 in a walnut stock . And you could rebarrel to a Grendel if you were so inclined .
I've also read the same with the CZ 527. There are after market barrels for them but I hear taking the barrels off the CZ action is a pain in the &%#^!

Mainehunter :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mainehunter wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:You can get a Zastava (same as the Remington 799) in 7.62x39 in a walnut stock . And you could rebarrel to a Grendel if you were so inclined .
I've also read the same with the CZ 527. There are after market barrels for them but I hear taking the barrels off the CZ action is a pain in the &%#^!

I dunno about removing the barrel from the 527 . But I can say emphatically getting one off a Howa is a Royal PITA !

My gunsmith buddy claims the barrels are put on a Howa in a way that causes you to have to pretty much cut them to get them off .
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

6pt-sika wrote:
Mainehunter wrote:

I dunno about removing the barrel from the 527 . But I can say emphatically getting one off a Howa is a Royal PITA !

My gunsmith buddy claims the barrels are put on a Howa in a way that causes you to have to pretty much cut them to get them off .
I've asked Jesse at JES Reboring for years back if he can rebore one of my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 to 35 cal and said he won't touch them. Nice action BUT practically impossible to remove the barrel without damaging the receiver.

Mainehunter
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Actually my interest in a small action is in 223.

I think they may have stopped bring in the mini zastavas. They've been out of stock everywhere Ive looked recently.

I had a CZ 527, I never could warm up to it and sold it. I didn't like the backwards safety at all, nor the very limited scope ring options with the proprietary type bases, all of which set the scope pretty high because of the bolt handle not being very low, and I REALLY didn't like the magazine sticking out. Beautiful guns, but I have zero interest in them after owning one.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

The Howa 6.5 Grendel has rave reviews, I have 2 6.5 Grendel AR15 rifles. One 16" carbine and a 20" Bull barrel, both with Geiselle triggers . They are fine deer killing machines, I've taken two bucks at 400 yards + with the 20" Bull barreled Grendel.
You're going to be very happy and impressed with the Grendel, but then you're gonna want to step up to the Creedmor shortly thereafter.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmmm :wink:
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Malamute wrote:Actually my interest in a small action is in 223.

I think they may have stopped bring in the mini zastavas. They've been out of stock everywhere Ive looked recently.

I had a CZ 527, I never could warm up to it and sold it. I didn't like the backwards safety at all, nor the very limited scope ring options with the proprietary type bases, all of which set the scope pretty high because of the bolt handle not being very low, and I REALLY didn't like the magazine sticking out. Beautiful guns, but I have zero interest in them after owning one.
Yes , I do not care for the clip sticking out the bottom or the rings on the 527 . I have thoughts of scratching around for a Remington 799 or Zastava in 7.62x39 and rebarreling to 6.5 Grendel with a #4 Shilen 1:8 barrel finished at about 22" .
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

6pt-sika wrote:
Malamute wrote:Actually my interest in a small action is in 223.

Yes , I do not care for the clip sticking out the bottom or the rings on the 527 . I have thoughts of scratching around for a Remington 799 or Zastava in 7.62x39 and rebarreling to 6.5 Grendel with a #4 Shilen 1:8 barrel finished at about 22" .
The clip sticking out of the bottom doesn't bother me as much as the rings do. There are after market bolt handles that correct that problem and I think someone makes a forward scope rail that hooks onto the rear sight. I love mine! It's the light's carrying rifle I have and the double set trigger is really nice.

The other option is the Ruger M77 MKII. There's one at my local candy store going for little over six, blued steel, used in pretty good condition. I've be thinking about grabbing it but I just can't warm up to the plastic stock.

Mainehunter :)
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the magazine release button on that gun. They seem poorly placed and prone to getting hit at inopportune times to leave a full magazine laying in the field. Is the release positive enough to keep that from happening. Otherwise, these look like a really fun little gun and a good bolt gun for younger shooters.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

A small .223?
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series ... mvp-scout/

I bought one of these a couple years back to take advantage of a silenver and to be able to share in the .223 ammo my son burns through his AR15.

Nice little .223 and accurate enough for prairie dog sniping. Also very affordable at prices below list.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Malamute wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:41 am Cute little rifle.

Is Howa or anybody else currently doing the mini action with wood stock and regular fixed internal magazine?
Resurrecting an old thread...

I replaced the cheap plastic trigger guard and magazine with bottom drop metal/internal mag from Jefferson Outdoors. They stay out of stock a lot but as soon as Chris notified me that more were available I bought one. Not cheap but I really like it. No more accidental dropped mags for me. I can always convert it back if I want. I may do a new thread with picture later.
I bought a heavy-barrelled Howa Mini action in 6.5 Grendel from Brownells, added a Boyd laminated stock, and now the hinged floorplate bottom metal.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vance, I'll bet rifle sill shoot for you.
I have the Grendel in a Ruger American Predator. Tickled with the accuracy of my 120-grain Nosler BT hand loads.