Horn, powder containers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Horn, powder containers

Post by hondo1892 »

Had a customer call in an order for some horns a few weeks back. He wanted some southern horns so I made four banded horns, three have turned antler spouts much like North Carolina horns from the 19th century. One of the banded horns is not in the photo because it aint finished yet. The other two could have been made anywhere. I wish I hadn't show the customer the horn with three bands and brass tacks around the base because I would have liked to have kept it for myself. I keep selling my own gear and guns and need to keep something for myself. I haven't made very many horns for several years and this just about exhausted my supply. I'll have to keep a look out for some more good raw material.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Horn, powder containers

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice authentic looking horns. :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Some fine looking horns. I have made a few using horns but nothing that looks like yours.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

They sure look good - but, I didn't know you were horny........ ;)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

They are fantastic :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oh, those are really nice. North Carolina huh? That's where my ancestors are from. Posquatank and Perquimans counties.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Beautiful!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Amazing workmanship! I can see how they could be mistaken as originals with the finish you put on them! I'd love to see or hear the process of making these gorgeous horns! Always wondered if the bands are made separately, or somehow shaped on the horns?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Those are really nice :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

You do beautiful work 8)
Do any of the base plugs have a removable plug for filling?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:You do beautiful work 8)
+1 to that!

There was recently an article in Muzzleloader about making banded horns -- I'll bet you could have written it.

Nice work, those look great!

And yes -- do make one to keep for yourself!

That one will be a beauty for sure -- remember to show us the pictures. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Most of the banded horns have the bands added. There are a few with the bands carved from the horn its self. I cut rings from a horn and heat them to slide onto a cone shaped piece of wood. I then put the wood cone in the centers of a wood lathe and turn them to shape. Sometimes I use wood pegs to secure the bands to the horns and sometimes they just get friction fitted. Both are traditional ways of attaching the rings. The base plugs are hollowed out inside but don't have any screw in plugs to fill from the base. I'd post some photo's of how I do it but it takes me about thirty minutes to load and resize a photo on photobucket. I try to sign my work so folks know that they are modern made but I've still seen my work and others being sold for originals on auction sites. There is always someone tying to pass modern work off for antique, sometimes out of ignorance and sometimes trying to make big money. Thanks for the kind words also.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

hondo1892 wrote:I'd post some photo's of how I do it but it takes me about thirty minutes to load and resize a photo on photobucket.
Ouch -- that's a loooooooooong time!

I resize my photo's first (using the MS Resizer tool, "Image Resizer for Windows"), then selecting the "small" images for use on this site and also to upload to Hunt101.com -- for use on any other websites where I can't just upload a photo like we do here, but have to post a link to the image over on 101 (the url). I can usually do 4 to 6 photo's in less than 5 minutes on a good day, both resizing and then uploading them. You might want to check it out. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nath wrote:They are fantastic :D

N.
+1 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hondo, I am very, very impressed with your skills as a horner. I have the Sibleys' book on Southern banded horns, as well as their first one, and have always admired the banded variants. Mostly lack the skill and patience to make any. I am thinking of building a spring or treadle lathe to able to turn some parts.
Do you post on the Muzzleloading forum?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote:Amazing workmanship! I can see how they could be mistaken as originals with the finish you put on them! I'd love to see or hear the process of making these gorgeous horns! Always wondered if the bands are made separately, or somehow shaped on the horns?

Exactly my thoughts. Marlinman and I have an eye for what looks original and as for YOU Marlinman, you and I both know a craftsman never gives up his secrets.......secrets that don't come from any books. :D -------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Bill, I used to post on the American long rifle forum but my service won't let me get on any longer. If you would like to see more of these horns you can check out the Contemporary makers blog. Scott Sibley can really crank out horns I've watched him work. His wife Cathy does the scrimshaw and she is amazingly fast at it.
Six thanks for the kind words. I do pass on most of my secrets because I've had many good people share there knowledge with me.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

VERY nice!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Impressive work!!