Best gunsmithing screwdriver set?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Best gunsmithing screwdriver set?

Post by Old Savage »

Likely mostly single actions snd lever actions will be involved.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best gunsmithing screwdriver set?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have the big Brownells mag tip set. They cover everything except some English doubles with their razor blade thin screw slots. Brownells has add on bit sets to cover them also. Never have broken or bent a tip in over 30 years. They are not cheap but quality costs.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have the big Brownells mag tip set. They cover everything except some English doubles with their razor blade thin screw slots. Brownells has add on bit sets to cover them also. Never have broken or bent a tip in over 30 years. They are not cheap but quality costs.
I have the complete set......buy once, cry once.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
For the average guy or even the experienced guy, the above authors said it right.

While this Brownells set has always been good to me, I always find myself replacing bits, plus there is always a slight bit of play with bits when fitting them into the handle. I've gone as far as taking a dozen of my old slotted screwdrivers (remember them? :D ) and grinding them to specific dimensions to fit various screws sizes. I prefer a screwdriver with a short stem that is solid to the handle.

Like I said, I'll take a regular screwdriver, cut it to length, heat, forge, grind, and then draw to fit the screws of quality collector guns. A buggered screw on a 5k Winchester is like a dented fender on a Ferrari.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have the big Brownells mag tip set. They cover everything except some English doubles with their razor blade thin screw slots. Brownells has add on bit sets to cover them also. Never have broken or bent a tip in over 30 years. They are not cheap but quality costs.
A +1 and Amen to that -- go Brownell's, and buy top quality once (not cheap sets several times over...).

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I also have the big Brownells set, but have one complaint with it. The bits are really too soft, and can easily twist the tip if a screw is pretty tight. I have a couple Chapman sets and never have had this issue with Chapman.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Quality is the object.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Brownell's Mag-Tip set... with the LE driver... it's a little shorter than the standard, but better sized than the stubby handle. As far as softness goes, I'd rather twist a bit, thas chew off a corner of a screw slot. If the screw's that tight... get an impact driver.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

marlinman93 wrote:I also have the big Brownells set, but have one complaint with it. The bits are really too soft, and can easily twist the tip if a screw is pretty tight. I have a couple Chapman sets and never have had this issue with Chapman.
+1 on Chapman.

Mainehunter :wink:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ive had a basic Chapman set for about 30 years or so. It seems to have more bits that actually fit the things I try to use them on than my dads starter Brownells set. I think it takes buying about 3x more Brownells bits to get as many tips that actually fit the screws I need to use them on.

Ive broken tips with Chapmans, and they will sell you replacements pretty reasonably. I understand they feel the tips should twist off and crack rather than twist the screw slot (its up to the operator to see whats happening and stop reefing on it before the tip scratches the gun). Its engineered into the tip to fail at some point. I don't recall the specifics.

The tips are wobbly in the Brownells driver extension. I never understood why.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I like my Wheeler set pretty good. Been using them for years with no problems.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

All good points gents, one thing I could add is with the big set from Brownells if an odd screw is encountered you have a selection to choose from and fit a tip.
I have reshaped many of my tips so they work better.

But on the same token I have made many of my own turnscrews( the English way). Quite simple process. Mauser 98 firing pin makes fantastic turn screw! As does drill rod and black diamond steel.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Which set from Brownells is everyone talking about? Never hurts to add more tools to the toolbox.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rube Burrows wrote:Which set from Brownells is everyone talking about? Never hurts to add more tools to the toolbox.
I have # 080-112-081WB with an added Magnetic Law Enforcement handle.
Last edited by Griff on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have never broken or damaged a Brownells bit BUT one must to know WHEN. When to quit twisting on a frozen or Gorilla installed fastener. Get some penatrating oil or heat on it and maybe a small impact driver. Harbor Freight sells a 1/4" hex drive impact driver cheap and mine works great. A heat gun also does wonders when you have a frozen screw.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

While not a dedicated "gun screwdriver set", I have a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver set that has hardened hollow ground blade bits in several sizes that I found to work pretty good (plus phillips bits, Torx bits, hex bits and a few square bits). I bought a set of wooden handled screwdrivers from Brownells in '70 that I still use, but don't have the name of them off hand...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

OOPS!
Last edited by mikld on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have never broken or damaged a Brownells bit BUT one must to know WHEN. When to quit twisting on a frozen or Gorilla installed fastener. Get some penatrating oil or heat on it and maybe a small impact driver. Harbor Freight sells a 1/4" hex drive impact driver cheap and mine works great. A heat gun also does wonders when you have a frozen screw.
Excellent advice!
Mike
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote:Brownell's Mag-Tip set... with the LE driver... it's a little shorter than the standard, but better sized than the stubby handle. As far as softness goes, I'd rather twist a bit, thas chew off a corner of a screw slot. If the screw's that tight... get an impact driver.
An impact driver still needs a screwdriver blade, and I've never found an impact driver a good tool to use on firearms. I've found my Brownells set extremely easy to twist blades, even without screws being stuck. I on occasion have started to twist a blade and stopped; then got my Chapman kit out and get the screw loose with no twisted blade.
I've been gunsmithing firearms long enough to know when a screw needs extra special attention to get it out. The Brownells tips just are much too easy to twist on the thin blades. The heavier blades hold up well, but fit very few gun screws. Most guns use a thin slot on their screws.
When I run into a particularly well stuck screw I apply heat with my soldering gun directly to the screw. Then I put a few drops of Kroil on the screw and the heat sucks it into the threads. I then set the gun or part up in my drill press and clamp it. Using a screwdriver blade I lower the drill chuck into the slot, and apply pressure. I then grasp the chuck with a large pair of channel locks and turn the screw out by hand. Occasionally I will put a tip in a screw slot first, and give the tip a sharp rap with my brass hammer to help jar the stuck threads loose. Then use the drill press to finish removing them. If this method doesn't work, it's time to drill them out, and buy or make a new screw!
Anyone who doesn't have to deal with stuck screws often, doesn't own many old guns. It's not gorillas tightening them too tight all the time. In 100 year old guns there's much more comes into play than just the operator error of tightening.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote:
Griff wrote:Brownell's Mag-Tip set... with the LE driver... it's a little shorter than the standard, but better sized than the stubby handle. As far as softness goes, I'd rather twist a bit, thas chew off a corner of a screw slot. If the screw's that tight... get an impact driver.
An impact driver still needs a screwdriver blade, and I've never found an impact driver a good tool to use on firearms. I've found my Brownells set extremely easy to twist blades, even without screws being stuck. I on occasion have started to twist a blade and stopped; then got my Chapman kit out and get the screw loose with no twisted blade.
I've been gunsmithing firearms long enough to know when a screw needs extra special attention to get it out. The Brownells tips just are much too easy to twist on the thin blades. The heavier blades hold up well, but fit very few gun screws. Most guns use a thin slot on their screws.
When I run into a particularly well stuck screw I apply heat with my soldering gun directly to the screw. Then I put a few drops of Kroil on the screw and the heat sucks it into the threads. I then set the gun or part up in my drill press and clamp it. Using a screwdriver blade I lower the drill chuck into the slot, and apply pressure. I then grasp the chuck with a large pair of channel locks and turn the screw out by hand. Occasionally I will put a tip in a screw slot first, and give the tip a sharp rap with my brass hammer to help jar the stuck threads loose. Then use the drill press to finish removing them. If this method doesn't work, it's time to drill them out, and buy or make a new screw!
Anyone who doesn't have to deal with stuck screws often, doesn't own many old guns. It's not gorillas tightening them too tight all the time. In 100 year old guns there's much more comes into play than just the operator error of tightening.
The drill press is an excellent technique. I've only had to resort to it once, on a very rusty mdl 94 guide screws, I still ended up using Kroil and impact driver, sacrificing the driver bit & screws... luckily it was a post '64
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I must have got an oddball set from Brownells. My bits are so hard I've snapped most them off on tight screws. I like the selection but have not liked how hard the bits are. I never tried getting replacements because I figured the new ones would be just as hard.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

hondo1892 wrote:I must have got an oddball set from Brownells. My bits are so hard I've snapped most them off on tight screws. I like the selection but have not liked how hard the bits are. I never tried getting replacements because I figured the new ones would be just as hard.
Never thought if that! Maybe my set is not typical, and it's defective? I might contact Brownells and send them back the 3-4 twisted bits so they can see what's happening here, instead of cussing them.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Brownells has a lifetime warranty. Dont like it ? Send it back, no questions asked.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I will have to pick out the twisted bits and send them in. Most are soft enough I can put them in the vise and easily twist them back straight.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a small Chapman set and I find two of the bits have chipped, apparently too hard if anything. Think I will end up going with the big Brownells.

Appreciate all the points and discussion.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

58 bit Super Set /LE Magnetic.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good choice.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks, we are all celebrating thr Cubs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And let's not forget the pirate ladies :-;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.