Anyone have an 1888 Marlin Top Eject?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone have an 1888 Marlin Top Eject?

Post by Rube Burrows »

Does anyone have an old 1888 Marlin Top Eject rifle? I have long wanted one and I would love to hear if others have them how they like them and just general info on them.

Photos would also be greatly appreciated.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone have an 1888 Marlin Top Eject?

Post by hfcable »

Rube Burrows wrote:Does anyone have an old 1888 Marlin Top Eject rifle? I have long wanted one and I would love to hear if others have them how they like them and just general info on them.

Photos would also be greatly appreciated.
No, but that is at the top of my list currently, too.
cable
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Even ugly ones are going to be expensive and if you parts...... :shock:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

jdad wrote:Even ugly ones are going to be expensive and if you parts...... :shock:

very true, one of those things I should have bought 20 years ago.
cable
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A guy came up to my buddy who is a dealer, but ARs, machine guns,ect, at a local gunshow. The guy asked what my buddy thought he could give for it? I listened not to interupt..as my buddy says $600. I about pooped right there. Guy got miffed and left muttering. I asked my buddy if he knew what that was..sure Winchester 94. He know a little more about lever guns now. He apparently was appreciative as he called me when he had Winchester 73 at a reasonable price. The extent of my 1888 experience. Sorry Rube. Good luck.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I picked this one up of a fellow forum member when I was over your way a couple of years back. It has been refinished but is sill a nice part of my collection. Picked a 1891 side loader .22 that trip aswell, think they only made about 4000 of each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I almost bought one a few years back but by the time I made up my mind it was gone. I really want one in 38-40 and it was 32-20 and that is why it took me too long to decide.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I meant to say "if you ever need parts...." Extremely hard to find.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Don't have one presently, but have had 4 or 5 over the years. They are a great rifle, although not as nicely designed as the later Marlins in my opinion. Considering less than 5,000 made, they do get huge prices, even in poor condition. I never got huge prices selling mine, but others seem to. Don't have many pictures of those I owned. 2nd one down in this picture was my 1888 in .44-40:

Far left in this pic is another in .38-40:

That's all the 1888 pics I could find here.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Marlinman93 you just made this ol boy cry with that pic. I am doing my best to keep a couple of those alive andd hunting but that right there is a thing of beauty.Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

fordwannabe wrote:Marlinman93 you just made this ol boy cry with that pic. I am doing my best to keep a couple of those alive andd hunting but that right there is a thing of beauty.Tom

it sure is. for many years now I have drooled and envied at his amazing collection !!
cable
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Marlinman, those are some beautiful rifles. Thanks for sharing the pic.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Unfortunately those are pretty old pictures guys! Probably about 7-8 years ago, and I sold all but a couple of my Marlin repeaters off about 6 years ago. I got deeper into my Ballard addiction, and after selling off about 50 pre WWI era Marlin repeaters, the money got reinvested into Marlin Ballards. Still have a couple 1881 Marlins, but that's it for repeaters.
They were hard to let go, but getting some nice Ballard rifles made up for it!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

marlinman93 wrote:Unfortunately those are pretty old pictures guys! Probably about 7-8 years ago, and I sold all but a couple of my Marlin repeaters off about 6 years ago. I got deeper into my Ballard addiction, and after selling off about 50 pre WWI era Marlin repeaters, the money got reinvested into Marlin Ballards. Still have a couple 1881 Marlins, but that's it for repeaters.
They were hard to let go, but getting some nice Ballard rifles made up for it!

It sucks when you have to give up one love for another when you really wish you could just keep them all.

I had a beautiful 1889 Marlin that I wish I would have never sold. That is the only really old Marlin I have had. I have always wanted a 1888 though.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rube Burrows wrote:
It sucks when you have to give up one love for another when you really wish you could just keep them all.

I had a beautiful 1889 Marlin that I wish I would have never sold. That is the only really old Marlin I have had. I have always wanted a 1888 though.
Yes, it certainly is sad to not keep them all! But I had a lot of years of enjoyment building up the collection, and I have enjoyed once again building up my Ballard collection. Couldn't afford to keep both, so one of them had to suffer. But I have no regrets selling any of them.