Older Movies that deserve a current remake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Older Movies that deserve a current remake

Post by TraderVic »

The thread about the first Gunsmoke got me thinking ( and my thoughts concern me once in awhile :mrgreen: ).

As I reflect on much of the movie offerings these days and how most of them don't interest me, I find myself pondering why somebody doesn't take one of the older great movies and do a remake with current actors. Before I go further with this, there have been some remakes, I guess I'd like to see a few more, such as ;

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" with an all star lineup back in the early 60's when it was filmed. I think this is one classic comedy and with the right casting, would be a great remake. If any of you have never seen this movie...and like to laugh - well, now you have an assignment.

Best Regards, Vic
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Older Movies that deserve a current remake

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Might be fun to see a re make of CAINE MUTINY. This movie begs to have fun with a contemporary cast… George Clooney as Queeg or Denzel Washington, Chris Cooper ,or John Goodman. Fun could be had with guest appearances of the various witnesses. The Psychiatrists, sailors (remember who played meatball in the original film)and officers of the Courts Martial. Might be a hoot to have Jose Ferrer Jr. play the lawyer for the defense.

Who would play the XO…. Willie and his girlfriend . The captain that Queeg replaced….
Modern special effects could make a really good Typhoon compared to the original films’ and for that matter even make the film take place in more contemporary times.
Let’s have fun with this…
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I heard that Tom Hanks has a movie in the works. " Greyhound " will about Destroyers in WWII.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Tom will be playing a destroyer captain in his next movie.

I'm not sure about a remake of "The Cain Mutiny". I have always felt the cast was excellent in the original, a great movie and Queeg's breakdown on the stand was Bogart's greatest scene.

While there have been some excellent remakes ("3:10 to Yuma", "True Grit") there are others that haven't come across so well and I don't have much faith in the filmmakers equaling or exceeding the quality of the original. After watching the trailer I will not bother viewing the remake of "The Magnificent Seven".
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Today's movies seem to rely on more, and more, and more computer Special FX.....Mostly, it just overburdens the senses....There actually used to be good plots, good dialogue, and acting....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Speaking of Tom Hanks, my wife and I went to the movie last evening and saw his new movie "Sully". I highly recommend it.

I would like to see a good movie ( well done and researched ) made about destroyers.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

If Tom Hanks is doing a WWII DD Cap'n it should be good, and proves there would be interest in DD film with a plot like an updated CAINE MUTINY type story. It will be interesting to see what CGI does for THs' movie. I , as others have said see way too much flashy FX just cause they can do it I guess, but when I really started to appreciate CGI was in ENEMY AT THE GATES when the authentic looking Stukas came swooping down... This is also seen in other fighter aircraft & bombers WWI & WWII... Anyone remember the Gotha bomber in the aviator? But good FX are only as good as the research and budget .
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

BlaineG wrote:Today's movies seem to rely on more, and more, and more computer Special FX.....Mostly, it just overburdens the senses....There actually used to be good plots, good dialogue, and acting....
When you run out of ideas, "turn the volume up".

Leave Mad++ World in peace. Perish the thought of "Smiler" Grogan being anyone other than Jimmy Durante.

Where would you find another Ethel Merman or Phil Silvers?.

Cheers Mark
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Rooster Cogburn, would be worthy of a remake...with Jeff Bridges again as the Marshal. Betty White as Eula Goodknight should round it out nicely.

:wink:
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

TraderVic wrote: "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" with an all star lineup back in the early 60's when it was filmed. I think this is one classic comedy and with the right casting, would be a great remake. If any of you have never seen this movie...and like to laugh - well, now you have an assignment.

Leave it be. Rat Race was pretty much what you're describing and I didn't care for it.

This thread came up elsewhere recently and the only film I came up with for a remake that I might like to see was possibly a modern more serious version of "Go for Broke". A modern retelling as opposed to a "remake".
Slow is just slow.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Awww. C'mon..

The Squirrel bit was classic.

Whoopee would be lucky to have such a fate...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

cas wrote:
TraderVic wrote: "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" with an all star lineup back in the early 60's when it was filmed. I think this is one classic comedy and with the right casting, would be a great remake. If any of you have never seen this movie...and like to laugh - well, now you have an assignment.

Leave it be. Rat Race was pretty much what you're describing and I didn't care for it.

Hmmm.....well - with the right casting and director/producer, I think a remake would be a winner like the original.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine is on to it....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Could you imagine how bad a remake of something like, The Magnificent Seven" could be? Hollyweird might go as far as to make the sound track with RAP music. Oh... wait....

:roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RBA0xoaWU
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

What I'd like to see isn't a remake of a great old film (the remake is almost never as good as the original) but a new film based on an old book. C.S. Forester's "The Good Shepherd", a novel written during and based in early WWII about an American destroyer trying to protect a convoy in the North Atlantic. It takes place during the period referred to by the U-boat crews as the "happy times", when the Atlantic convoys were pretty much sitting ducks. As with all of Forester's books it was terrific and, IMO. probably the most underrated novel of his prolific output, which includes the "Captain Horatio Hornblower" series. It's been years since I read "Shepherd"--maybe it's worth another read if I can find a copy.

(Later--I found it! Barnes & Nobel has it on line, in hardcover, paperback and Nook format. So I bought it for my Nook.)
Last edited by Washita on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

They could make a really great movie ( not a remake) about the USS Indianapolis. Everyone should read up on that one.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Considering what actors, directors, producers, and workers get paid in Hollywood...I'm tired of remakes. Is the average Hollywood writer so bad that they can't come up with their own story line, and write something new? There have been some very good screen plays written off books, or original ideas over the years. Why do they insist on rewriting an old movie and simply remaking them, instead of doing something original!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I would love to see a stand alone Gunsmoke movie if done right. (without all the CG stuff)

Something else I always think about when watching some of the old western tv shows is how cool it would have been if they tied a few of the series in together. You know, if Cheyene was to show up in Dodge and have interaction with Matt Dillon and some of the other crew and maybe Josh Randal would show up there looking for someone he has a poster on. Who knows, maybe even Lucas and Mark McCain take a trip to Kansas for some reason and end up in Dodge also. Lots of fun storylines could be made.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Interestingly, that's been done.

There was an initial crossover between Star Trek (1967) and a new series that never got off the ground called "Assignment Earth".

Later Deep Space Nine did a really good mashup that pretty seamlessly put O'Brien and Bashier into the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode, including the post bar-fight lineup with Kirk disciplining his crew.

There may be others, but I didn't watch many of the various "new" Treks.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!