An addition to my lead salvaging tools

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

An addition to my lead salvaging tools

Post by Alan in Vermont »

Some of you guys have seen this already, on Cast Boolits, but I wanted to gloat a little more.

I do a lot of scrounging for my casting metal, digging it out of the berms & indoor range backstop at the club I belong to. I have had over 1,000 lbs at a time of reclaimed bullets, aka "Bullet Ore". I have been "smelting" with a propane fueled plumbers pot. It can be a slow process as there is usually some dirt in there and a lot of air space which kills heat transfer. Patience is NOT one of my virtues.

I drive, part time, for a company that has a hook lift truck and 15 cy open top containers. Tuesday I took a load of scrap metal to a local salvage yard. I scaled in and one of their employees directed me to where I was to dump the load.

On the open tops the tailgate swings horizontally and hooks back to the side of the truck for dumping. So,, I swung the gate around and noticed a bunch of propane tanks on the ground a few feet away. I started walk over to see if any of them were punched, as I need a couple for smelting pots. Nope, none punched but one sort of stood out in the crowd. Hmmmm, wonder if I can buy that one?

Dumped, closed the gate and saw one of the owners approaching. I asked him if I might be able to buy something from him. Showed it to him, he wasn't aware of what it was, so I told him. He hefted, proclaimed, "That's not very heavy, take it"

At first I didn't think I had a way to carry it on the truck, then I remembered the underbody tool box on the curb side. My new-to-me propane plumbers pot fit in there nicely. Enough propane in the tank to slosh and it let out a nice hiss when I cracked the valve. The tank looks like it should pass inspection so there's over $200 in value just in the tank, I have no idea what the burner might be worth but I would consider this a really nice score.

Now when I smelt range scrap I can have two pots going and should, very nearly, cut my time in half. Slow link now will be cooling ingot molds fast enough to keep up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: An addition to my lead salvaging tools

Post by Blaine »

After you separate the lead does the discarded jacked have a scrap value?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

If you can get them clean enough, in the sense that the lead is all out of them, they do have some salvage value. Right now they aren't worth messing with.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Those rigs work great. The old man had one, but it has disappeared, probably at my brothers, if so, it will never be found, lol
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gcs wrote:Those rigs work great. The old man had one, but it has disappeared, probably at my brothers, if so, it will never be found, lol
That right there is a prime example why it never bothered me that I have no brothers or sisters lol's !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

:D , Yeah, Families can have issues. Especially when the bottle wins the fight. :?