another uncommon lever gun added to the stable:

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

another uncommon lever gun added to the stable:

Post by hfcable »

actually picked up two more, both are in 35 remington.....one is the elusive mossberg 472, elusive in that caliber anyway, and i will post some pictures of it soon. its in really excellent condition.

and then there is this much older lever gun:

its a Stevens Highpower in 35 remington and it is in pretty nice shape for its age. probably dates from about 1912. i suppose the stevens is really the first lever action chambered in 35 remington. its funny how the stevens ' looks like a marlin' but really its the other way around.....the marlin model 93 contemporary to this rifle, has the square bolt and only the later marlins after WWII have this look. it has a really nice bore and i suspect it will shoot well, when i get a chance to find out
cable
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: another uncommon lever gun added to the stable:

Post by claybob86 »

That's a great looking rifle! I had no idea Stevens ever made anything like that.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

claybob86 wrote:That's a great looking rifle! I had no idea Stevens ever made anything like that.
+1 :mrgreen:
Great looking shooter.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Learn something every day!

Great find sir :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote:Learn something every day!

Great find sir :D

N.
+ 1 :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Stevens was sued by Marlin back when the High Power rifles came out. If I remember correctly they settled out of court back then.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

marlinman93 wrote:Stevens was sued by Marlin back when the High Power rifles came out. If I remember correctly they settled out of court back then.
that IS interesting. not a lot to read about on the stevens highpower.....for instance the top strap has two holes drilled and tapped like the marlin does......wonder if the LL Hepburn sight will fit on the stevens .....will have to check the hole spacing.
Last edited by hfcable on Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Very nice - I like that High Power !

FYI, the Stevens made approx 26,000 High Power leverguns, designed by John Redfield, in at least 4 flavors, from 1910-1917.

The Model 425 - 22" bbl, 2/3 mag, blued finish, plain walnut stocks

The Model 430 - M425 + deluxe checkered stock & forearm

The Model 435 - M430 + extra-fancy checkered stock & forearm + engraved borders on the receiver & lever

The Model 440 - M435 + best quality walnut + fully engraved game scenes on receiver, engraved lever & forend tip.

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Cool, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . if We do a search here it brings up two pages of discussion about the 425 back to 2008.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

claybob86 wrote:That's a great looking rifle! I had no idea Stevens ever made anything like that.
Me neither! Great score!!! :mrgreen: 8) :D
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Very nice - I like that High Power !

FYI, the Stevens made approx 26,000 High Power leverguns, designed by John Redfield, in at least 4 flavors, from 1910-1917.

The Model 425 - 22" bbl, 2/3 mag, blued finish, plain walnut stocks

The Model 430 - M425 + deluxe checkered stock & forearm

The Model 435 - M430 + extra-fancy checkered stock & forearm + engraved borders on the receiver & lever

The Model 440 - M435 + best quality walnut + fully engraved game scenes on receiver, engraved lever & forend tip.

That estimate of 26,000 guns has been told many times; in the Blue Book, the Book of Marlins, etc., and as 45 Colt says, there was discussion of that in 2008. The real estimate is around a 1000 rifles. "Vintageautomobelia "(sp) did research trying to find all the Hi Powers out there and list the serial numbers, and he found none with serial numbers higher than around 5500. I tried to reach him less than a month ago to see just how all that came out, and got no response.
I have one also, #18XX, a 425 in .32 Remington. I had pictures of mine on here back some time ago.
You are lucky to get one if it still works, they are a very smooth action rifle. Mine did not work when I got it ,and I made a part for it and now it works very nice. That piece was quite fragile.

Irv

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

hfcable wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:Stevens was sued by Marlin back when the High Power rifles came out. If I remember correctly they settled out of court back then.
that IS interesting. not a lot to read about on the stevens highpower.....for instance the top strap has two holes drilled and tapped like the marlin does......wonder if the LL Hepburn sight will fit on the stevens .....will have to check the hole spacing.
Mine has a #1 Lyman combination sight on it. I'm not sure of the hole spacing either.