Driving from MD to ME, any reccomended stops along the way?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigMike349
Levergunner

Driving from MD to ME, any reccomended stops along the way?

Post by BigMike349 »

I'm driving up to Maine this summer from my home in Maryland for my cousin's wedding just outside of Portland, Maine. My wife and I are trying to make a little baby moon out of it too (my wife is due in November). Are there any places you recommend we stop along the way, or visit while we are up there? I'm originally from NY, and my wife lived in NYC for a few years while she was at grad school, so we are more looking for places to stop, sights to see along the way north of NY. I plan to do a trip to the LL Bean flagship store while we are up there and I will most likely stop at the kittery trading post as it is one of the largest gun stores up that way. I'm eagerly anticipating buying some Ruger 10/22 BX 25 mags while I'm up there (illegal to buy in MD, but completely legal for me to buy in another state and bring them home to MD and use them in MD...don't get me started).

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Driving from MD to ME, any reccomended stops along the w

Post by Griff »

Sig Sauer in NH. And, didn't they make a museum out of the old Colt & Winchester plants in CT?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm fairly far north of Portland. It would take a fair amount of driving to see all the state has to offer.
Yes!, don't miss KTP or L.L Bean. Also, there is a Cabelas right beside the highway as you come into Portland.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Griff wrote:Sig Sauer in NH. And, didn't they make a museum out of the old Colt & Winchester plants in CT?
I went out to the Winchester Plant a couple of years ago & they were turning it into a medical centre & in the words of a builder we met there, "apartments to house anti gun Yale University students." We got a tour of the old building & I brought a brick for the old building home to Australia for my gun room.
I would have been good to have made a museum but I think that's all out in Cody now.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

If your route takes you near Springfield, The Springfield Armory is worth a visit.

Jack
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you CCW, take extreme care when transiting NJ - which will stop your trip right there, if you're found to possess a firearm there.

Your safest route may well be to drive due North through PA (Philly) to the New York State Turnpike South (East, actually, until you cross the Hudson River @ Tarrytown) - the Western CT or MA border can be breached through NYS, bypassing NJ.

(the Remington museum is in Utica NY)

However, if you elect to drive directly North on Rte 95, in New Haven, Rte 91 North will take you to Springfield MA, where both the S&W museum and Springfield Armory are good choices. (the New Haven Winchester museum has moved to Cody, WY)

In Hartford CT, the Colt museum is now in the Connecticut State Library (Capital Ave).

After Springfield MA, a 20 mile drive East on the Mass Pike would put you in Sturbridge MA, where there's both a Pilgrim's living village ( Old Sturbridge Village -https://www.osv.org/ ) to experience, and a little mall-free shopping your wife might enjoy.

Continuing on the Mass Pike into the Boston Harbor area, if you don't elect to bypass famous Boston traffic & use Rte 495, the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) is a nice patriotic pit stop.

When entering Maine on Rte 95, the 1st exit is where the KTP is located, amidst a plethora of "factory outlet stores" ( http://www.thekitteryoutlets.com/directory.cfm ), after which there are multiple attractions North, along Rte 1 (parallels the Maine Turnpike/Rte 95).

BTW, there are several excellent seafood eateries in Kittery, also. (aka: lobstah ! ;) )

There's also a zip-line park nearby - but I expect that your wife would take a dim view of riding there. :roll:

If you leave the Maine Turnpike/Rte 95 in Portland, you can pick up Rte 295, which will take you over to LL Bean, and a few more "factory outlet stores".

Have a nice, and safe, trip !

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I don't know where you are in MD but I go north to Maine often and I recommend I81 to I84, 495 around Boston and then I95. That is a scenic drive which will take you around a lot of places with more traffic and congestion and avoids a lot of geographical areas that harbor people whose views are opposite to ours.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Hawkeye2 wrote:I don't know where you are in MD but I go north to Maine often and I recommend I81 to I84, 495 around Boston and then I95. That is a scenic drive which will take you around a lot of places with more traffic and congestion and avoids a lot of geographical areas that harbor people whose views are opposite to ours.
Amen to this. Just completed my 10th round trip from SC to ME in 7 years, and I77-I81-I84-I495-I95 is the way to go without undue hassle. Plenty to see along the way.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I would recommend at least one rest stop. 8)
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

KTP, LL Bean and Cabelas are good choices to check things out along the way. The other place you and your wife might find interesting are the sand dunes in Freeport, just a few miles off the highway.

http://www.desertofmaine.com/

Mainehunter :wink:
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

If you are going to Kittery, the USS Albacore is just a few minutes down the road.
I've never been on a submarine and I'm thinking of checking this one out this summer.

Jack
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

BigMike349 wrote:.... I'm eagerly anticipating buying some Ruger 10/22 BX 25 mags while I'm up there (illegal to buy in MD, but completely legal for me to buy in another state and bring them home to MD and use them in MD...don't get me started).

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
Mike,

There is absolutely no way for you to legally transport those through MA (felony.)

Sorry, Jack
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jhrosier wrote:
BigMike349 wrote:.... I'm eagerly anticipating buying some Ruger 10/22 BX 25 mags while I'm up there (illegal to buy in MD, but completely legal for me to buy in another state and bring them home to MD and use them in MD...don't get me started).

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
Mike,

There is absolutely no way for you to legally transport those through MA (felony.)

Sorry, Jack
A reason that just about everything north & east of PA is off limits.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

jhrosier wrote:

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
Mike,

Sorry, Jack

Put them in the mail to yourself back in MD. They are legal to mail and you will already own them so there shouldn't be any issue. I believe it is only illegal for a seller to ship to MD. No one needs to know what is in the package anyway.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hawkeye2 wrote:
jhrosier wrote:

Thanks in Advance,
Mike
Mike,

Sorry, Jack

Put them in the mail to yourself back in MD. They are legal to mail and you will already own them so there shouldn't be any issue. I believe it is only illegal for a seller to ship to MD. No one needs to know what is in the package anyway.

A USPS Postel Clerk will only ask if the parcel contents are explosive, poisonous, flammable, fragile or perishable - and IMHO only a fool would volunteer any further comments on the contents of their parcel(s).

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I recently got some advice from a trusted friend that had I followed it, would have had me committing a felony while shipping a handgun....It's best to check very, very carefully.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV