Winchester 94 Receiver sights drill holes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 Receiver sights drill holes

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Gentlemen,

I know that Winchester started drilling and tapping the receivers from the factory to accommodate a receiver sight in around 1952, but when did they stop doing it?
There is a Winchester at the local shop which looks to me like its early eighties vintage, pretty mint, and I was thinking buying it, but it is not drilled and tapped for a receiver sight at all.
Serial number started 49 something, but I cant remember how many digits it went to, but that fits as well.

I suppose I just assumed they never stopped, but I must be wrong.... :(
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 94 Receiver sights drill holes

Post by J Miller »

As far as I know they stopped drilling the receivers for side mount receiver sights in 82 or so. The same time they introduced the AE models. All the AE models are D&T'd on the top for scope mounts. And Williams makes a receiver sight that uses the rear scope mount holes.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

It must be an AE, I must not have noticed.

What kind of safety do early AE's have? Half cock or do they have that rebounding hammer? It didnt have a side safety, cross bolt, or a tang safety.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

All new Haven Model 1894/94's have had a lever safety since 1894, the 1982-2006 New Haven Model 94AE's had the rebounding hammer, before/after the introduction of manual safeties (crossbolt/CBS & tang).

Williams makes 2 different receiver peep sights (the 5D & the FP/Foolproof) that will fit the Model 94AE's rear scope mount holes, AND readily zero with an issue height front sight blade.

XS Sights ( www.xssights.com ) & Skinner ( www.skinnersights.com ) both make receiver peep sights that also utilize the two rearmost scope mount holes atop the rear end of the receiver sidewalls; BUT, since they are much taller than the Williams sights, they will require a new front sight blade that's taller than the issue height, in order to zero the rifle.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If I'm recalling what I was told correctly, all AEs were rebounding hammers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ive seen one AE big bore that wasn't rebound, but its possible it was changed.

Yes, they make some sights that utilize the rear scope mount holes, though they look pretty clunky compared to the side mounts. Id prefer to drill for a side mount. If doing this, you can use the Weaver side mount scope base as a guide and you will end up with factory spec hole spacing if that's a concern.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Malamute wrote:
Yes, they make some sights that utilize the rear scope mount holes, though they look pretty clunky compared to the side mounts.

Id prefer to drill for a side mount.

We pay our money (the cost is the same, but the side-mount peep will need $$$ for drilling/tapping) & make our choice.

This is a 5D-94AE I mounted on a Model 92. (the model 92 & 94 utilize the same sights)

Image Image

Here's a Williams on a Winchester 94 (the FP-94 is similar, but with click w/e adjustments)

Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Ok I was wrong in every way. It DOES have receiver sight holes and it a standard 94 which is what I want. Literally mint condition, dated to 1979 going by my memory of seril numbers. Unfired owned by original owner of the shop and just put by in the back room...
anyway I have done a deal and going to get it this afternoon.

I already have a Williams that I could put on it..we will see. I actually shoot just a well with a bead and open notch so I am looking forward to shooting it either way.
Mark Twain
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Please post photos and range reports! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Carlsen Highway wrote:Ok I was wrong in every way. It DOES have receiver sight holes and it a standard 94 which is what I want. Literally mint condition, dated to 1979 going by my memory of seril numbers. Unfired owned by original owner of the shop and just put by in the back room...
anyway I have done a deal and going to get it this afternoon.

I already have a Williams that I could put on it..we will see. I actually shoot just a well with a bead and open notch so I am looking forward to shooting it either way.
I bought a 1980 Vintage 94 Trapper in 1980 and put a Williams FP on it. That sight has been there ever since. It's win win combination.
You got one of the best of the post 64s enjoy it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***