300 gr. 45 Colt loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

300 gr. 45 Colt loads

Post by guntar »

This has probably been covered before as far as reloading goes. My questions relates to experience with this load for hunting. Up to this point I have used 250 gr. bullets and have had good luck on deer and feral hogs. Does anyone have experience with 300 gr. - 45 Colt loads from a hunting perspective that they would be willing to share? I am interested in both jacketed and cast designs. I will be shooting these bullets out of a M92 Winchester with a 24" bbl.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 300 gr. 45 Colt loads

Post by vancelw »

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=65239

I also have a 24" Miroku made Winchester I use 300 gr Hornady JSP bullets in. I haven't yet gotten around to replicating the PMC loads, but it looks like my new supplies of Lil Gun, W296, and maybe AA5744 or IMR 4227 will work. I get 1400 fps out of the factory PMC (discontinued) +P+ loads.

I also have a Ruger Redhawk in 7.5" hunter configuration I shoot those in, but not my SAA or 1866 clone.

Send me your email in a PM and I'll share what I have with you.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have never used a 300 gr bullet in the .45 Colt for hunting, however I do know that with the proper charge of powders such as H110/296 you can equal the velocity and power of the 45-90 300gr Express cartridge.
We know the history of that, so I see no reason the 300gr .45 Colt loaded right won't work just dandy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

My japchester 92 in 45 colt has shot thousands of the rcbs 300 gas check at 1550fps. Nice accurate light rifle.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I had an AE Trapper that the ONLY thing it would shoot worth a darn was 300's pushed with REALLY hot loads. That's why I sold it (with full disclosure and at about 1/3 what I paid) because it just wasn't enjoyable. Those loads in that little BB gun were punishing.

Lighter loads, or lighter bullets, I could have gotten better groups launching the bullets with a sling shot. (I wish I were exaggerating)
Slow is just slow.
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

What I am wondering is if there is any advantage to increasing the bullet weight from 250 to 300 gr., especially for game heavier than deer.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cas wrote:I had an AE Trapper that the ONLY thing it would shoot worth a darn was 300's pushed with REALLY hot loads. That's why I sold it (with full disclosure and at about 1/3 what I paid) because it just wasn't enjoyable. Those loads in that little BB gun were punishing.

Lighter loads, or lighter bullets, I could have gotten better groups launching the bullets with a sling shot. (I wish I were exaggerating)
Just cos I'm curious, were those bullets sized .452"? I have found that my 94AE Trapper in .45 Colt prefers bullets sized to .454"+ regardless of the weight.
Especially when the bullets are hard cast.
I originally found this strange because the grove diameter is right at .4515". Then I got my current Marlin 1894 Cowboy with the shallow "Deep Grove Ballard Rifling" and it also prefers bullets sized .454" or larger. It's grove diameter is also .451" ish.

Over the years I've read a bunch of articles and later here on the shooting forums that you should size your bullets .001" to .002" over grove diameter. I've found this to be oh so true, in spite of the early instructions in the Lyman books to size bullets to the grove diameter.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

If memory serves me, I think I tried them too. I remember slugging the barrel and fire lapping it too just because I figured I had nothing to lose.
Slow is just slow.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

maybe not helpful, but I've been shooting HSMs 320gr cast "bear load" in my bisley blackhawk and they shoot very well. I plan to try them on deer this year.