Primers, just asking

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Primers, just asking

Post by ceb »

What is your favorite brand of primer and why?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Primers, just asking

Post by ollogger »

For nearly 40 years my choice was Remington, I think mostly because I got started on them & I got a bad batch of CCI one time, after the big shortage I bought any thing that would go bang, most of my shooting now is with cast bullets & plinking so it really don't matter any more

Brad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon I would have to say I have used more CCI than anything else.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Never heard of a bad brand. I choose Federal because that's what my dealers always seem to have on hand. I buy them by the case. (5,000)

Different brands of primers all have their own characteristics. CCI's are harder and sometimes are hard to seat.Winchester seems to be stronger (in spark), Federal have huge packaging.((dunno if that's a characteristic) Remington L.R is copper colored. Wolf brand is usually drunk and smell of cheap vodka as they come from Russia........------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

CCI , but I have and use all US made brands. In fifty years, I can only remember two fail to fire primers that I can be sure was from the primer and not some other problem like maybe being seated upside down. :oops:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I like 'em all, with Remington my current favorite because of their compact packaging. My only failures to fire that were definitely the primer were a couple of CCI's made during the current craziness with all factories running full out.

I have liked Federals but will never buy another because of their stooopid packaging that consumes at least 5x the space they should (I keep primers in an old defunct freezer and so storage space is not infinite).

Remingtons do take a distinctly harder blow from the firing pin to set off, so if you have a gun with a light firing pin strike you should look to other primers. Light strike is a rare thing: I don't currently own a gun where it is an issue.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

For a small rifle primer my preference is the Remington 7 1/2 but I use CCI and WIN as well . For the large rifle primer my preference is the CCI200 but I also use others . For a magnum rifle primer I use the Federal 215 and rarely deviate from it although I have a small stockpile of CCI and REM LRM primers .

For shotguns I like Remington STS , but will use WIN 209 or CCI209 just as easily . I like to keep a thousand CCI209M's on hand as well for my buckshot/slug handloads as well as for use in my inline ML's !

Pistols I use whatever I can get or have on hand as I load little for handguns anylonger .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I use all the major American brands, whatever is available. In 25+ years of handloading, never had trouble with any of them. I do try to avoid Federal because of the packaging.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My "favorite" is Winchester. I use more of them than all the other brands combined.
However I've found that for my style of shooting primers make little if any difference.
Were I to get into bench rest or long range BPCR or CAS then I'd probably do a lot of research on them.

Early on in my reloading career I had trouble with some CCI primers. They were duds. I was told it was because I handled them with my fingers and my body chemicals killed them. I can't say this is true or not, but when I quit handling them the problem stopped.

Since then I've used all the American brands and a few imports. The only ones I really didn't like were the Fiocchi LP primers I got some years back. They split around the edges and scared several of my gun breach faces.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Like most of us I buy whatever is available. Currently loading both some very old CCI for rifle and Winchester for large pistol.

Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s Winchester turned out a bad batch of Large Pistol and I was a victim of a case of those. Only about 1 or 2 in a hundred wouldn't fire the first strike.

About the same time I had a Smith 25 tuned for IPSC that absolutely had to have Federals. Don't even mention CCI around it. Part of the problem may have been the full moon clips flexing under the hammer strike. I've had a problem with light strikes that went away when I quit using some plastic full moons I have. Not the fault of the primers.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

To weigh in on my own thread, while I have used federal, CCI, and Winchester, I use far more Winchester so I guess that makes them my favorite. Never used imported stuff so am curious of your experiences with them. Shortages could come back around. I still can't find Bullseye powder.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Since the shortages started I have been reduced to using whatever is available for sale.
Before that, I stayed mostly with CCI and Federal.
I never had problems with misfires untill the last few years. When Winchester went from the nickle plated primers to the dull brass colored ones, I started getting more misfires. I'm pretty well convinced that the current Win. primers are imported from overseas and are not the quality that we grew to expect back in the 60's.
I don't like it one bit, but if there is no other choice I sometimes have to buy Winchester primers.

Jack
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've only used CCI and lately some Wolf. I've used tens of thousands of CCI and no failures. My understanding on the touching primers problem is that it was due to the Mercury used in older primers but it's no longer used. The military uses CCI. I haven't used enough of the Wolf to give them the trust I have for CCI so I only use them for plinking ammo. I have a few boxes of Win, Rem and Fed primers I bought when things dried up but I haven't used them.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I haven't worked up any "Primer Specific" loads for most of my guns, yet. I have kept "runs/evaluations" with one primer, but not compared a good load with one primer to the same load with another primer. Some guns I have stuck with one make, but over all I have had no radical difference with a load by primer brand. One difference I have found, mechanically, is Wolf primers take a hair more pressure to seat.

On hand; CCI, Remington, Winchester, and Wolf...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Winchester regulars, CCI magnums for BP.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

As far as I can tell boxer primers are indistinguishable from brand to brand.
I like the Federal packaging. It's the only one that doesn't require Scotch tape to secure.

There are slight size differences in shot shell primers.
Federal primers always seem a tight fit in Winchester or Remington hulls.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Winchester for everything I load on a progressive. Consistency of seating "feel". CCI for magnum rifle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I stocked up on Winchester in SR and LR because of availability. So far no complaints. I did stock up on 6 1/2 Remington SR because folks here and elsewhere recommended them for 32-20 and 22 Hornet.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I use Winchester because that is what the local shop stocks. I have used CCI, Federal, Remington, and Wolf they all have worked well for me and I can't say that I have a favorite. I will say that I do prefer the CCI military small rifle primers in my .223 as the cups are harder and I have less cratering with my unbushed Savage bolt face. This thread just reminded me I need to go pick up more primers :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Grandpa Ron
Levergunner

Post by Grandpa Ron »

I use whatever primers are available. Usually CCI. Cowboy loads do not seem to be fussy.
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

I use Remington primers for all of my Marlin lever actions; no particular reason other than I started using them a long time ago and have not had any problems. I use Winchester LR primers for my Winchester M70 338WM, because the loading manual designated them.

Dan
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

CCI mostly. Have some Tula's to try out.