9mm v. 45acp: Let The Melee Begin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: 9mm v. 45acp: Let The Melee Begin

Post by Lastmohecken »

Old Ironsights wrote:It's a really simple calculus for me.

I carry the snubby .357 & 2 speed strips when doing ranching stuff + trips in town. Reason: Ammo options. From snakes in the sage to downer bulls I've got a load handy.

I carry the .45 + 1 mag for EDC in town. Reason: Comfortable + quick mag change

I carry the 9 double stack + 3 mags when I go to the Mall or Movies in a nearby city. Reason: more targets, more bullets. Period.

I carry the NAA .32 + 2 mags always. (Sometimes as the only...) "Noisy Cricket" is sometimes the best, only or Last option...
I do similar.
On the farm, I might be seen carrying anything, from a .22 Single Six to a Super Blackhawk, but most often anymore it's my Dan Wesson 10mm 1911 in a Yaqui Slide, because it seems to kill really well, and is flatter and the recoil is mild in the Dan Wesson all steel 1911.

If it's just a trip to the store, I might stay with the 10mm, and add a long tailed shirt or vest to cover the gun, but on a trip into more sensitive territory I usually switch to the the Milt Sparks Summer Special and a 45 cal Lightweight Commander.

The smaller guns are sometimes carried as ballast in the pocket of my vest to help keep the wind from blowing my vest back and exposing the 45, or sometimes pocket carried alone when I decide not to dress around the Summer Special, but most if the time, I find the smaller guns just as difficult to carry comfortably.
NRA Life Member, Patron
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

"The smaller guns are sometimes carried as ballast in the pocket of my vest to help keep the wind from blowing my vest back and exposing the 45..."

Now that's a real pistolero talkin' right there.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I keep ammo as ballast in a jacket.

Noisy Cricket offsets the stupidly annoying wallet in the other rear pocket.

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I carry what I can conceal and shoot well. The best ammunition that I can purchase is in it. When I am in the woods or someplace such as where a larger firearm is not out of place, I carry a larger pistol in a larger caliber. Again, it is one which I can shoot well.

A hit in the vitals from a caliber that you can shoot well is better than a miss from a larger caliber. It may not be ideal, but it is better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Griff wrote:7.62, I hope you realize, my comment was strictly in light of the title of the topic. Being the 1st respondent, I'd hoped to set a tone... See if we could get some liberal responses... those that rely strictly on emotions, nothing bearing on facts!!!
That's how I took it. I think I know you well enough . . .

It's tougher to get emotional responses on this site though - too many people who have functional brains here.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Blaine, good thread choice by the way. I chuckled a little the first time I read the title. Between this thread and the other 9mm thread, it seems .45acp and 1911's are gaining victim status. :D

If this were a Liberal site it would be called 1911 shameing and .45-phobic. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:Blaine, good thread choice by the way. I chuckled a little the first time I read the title. Between this thread and the other 9mm thread, it seems .45acp and 1911's are gaining victim status. :D

If this were a Liberal site it would be called 1911 shameing and .45-phobic. :lol:
It's the classic Elmer v. Jack war all over again. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

When it comes to Self Defense, one would be wise to go with what works for them and not worry about what everyone else is doing!

Of course, NOT worrying about what everyone else is doing is the best answer for a lot of decisions.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I guess I am in Elmer's camp on the handguns, even though I always was fond of Jack's .270 win. but I also actually shoot the 1911 in 45, better then most 9mm's I have owned.
NRA Life Member, Patron
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Lastmohecken wrote:I guess I am in Elmer's camp on the handguns, even though I always was fond of Jack's .270 win. but I also actually shoot the 1911 in 45, better then most 9mm's I have owned.
Nah, if you were in Elmer's camp, you would be carrying a 3 inch SW 29, like me! :lol: Why?, because I can hit what I'm shooting at with it to 75 yards. I'm only good with a 1911 to 25 yards.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

buckeyeshooter wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:I guess I am in Elmer's camp on the handguns, even though I always was fond of Jack's .270 win. but I also actually shoot the 1911 in 45, better then most 9mm's I have owned.
Nah, if you were in Elmer's camp, you would be carrying a 3 inch SW 29, like me! :lol: Why?, because I can hit what I'm shooting at with it to 75 yards. I'm only good with a 1911 to 25 yards.
Oh, I have a 4 inch 29 and several big bore single actions, but a good 1911 is good for at least 100yds. I used to win my class in NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette with an iron sighted 1911, before I moved to AAA with a Contender and scope. I could usually bank on cleaning at least half of the rams at 100yds, off hand with a 5 inch 1911, and the slide rattled like a bucket of bolts, but it did have Bomar adjustable Sights and a good barrel to slide lockup.

Don't sell a good 1911 short. I once saw a friend of mine, back in the 1980's shoot 10 turkeys out of ten in a match at 75yds off hand.
I saw him do it under pressure, with a Wilson Combat 1911. I know the same thing has been done many times in the bigger matches, but it's usually with a scoped Contender, and then only by the top tier competitors.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lastmohecken wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:
Oh, I have a 4 inch 29 and several big bore single actions, but a good 1911 is good for at least 100yds. I used to win my class in NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette with an iron sighted 1911, before I moved to AAA with a Contender and scope. I could usually bank on cleaning at least half of the rams at 100yds, off hand with a 5 inch 1911, and the slide rattled like a bucket of bolts, but it did have Bomar adjustable Sights and a good barrel to slide lockup.

Don't sell a good 1911 short. I once saw a friend of mine, back in the 1980's shoot 10 turkeys out of ten in a match at 75yds off hand.
I saw him do it under pressure, with a Wilson Combat 1911. I know the same thing has been done many times in the bigger matches, but it's usually with a scoped Contender, and then only by the top tier competitors.
100yds +/- I can hit one or two clays, and scare the pelosi out of the other 8, or 9, with my Para Ord 1911.... It shoots almost as good as my MKII Gubment Target.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yep, with good loads, they can shoot better then many would think.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lastmohecken wrote:Yep, with good loads, they can shoot better then many would think.
Just whatever 230 fmj I can find cheap.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I just don't shoot a 1911 that well. I have been practicing by using one for wild bunch several years, but just shoot a revolver much better. I isn't the gun I know... the one I have been shooting is a colt gold cup, my father used it as his target gun and could hit anything you wanted with it. I'm just not that good.