Good ol' Ruger Blackhawks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Good ol' Ruger Blackhawks

Post by hondo1892 »

I've owned several over the last thirty years. My first was a super with a 7-1/2" bought used. It was the best shooter I've had over the years. I don't know how many rounds were put through it before I got it but my buddy and I put several thousand down the tube the first few years. I could hit bowling pins at about hundred and twenty yards with it regularly. Then I picked up a .45 with a 4-5/8" barrel that was the worst of the bunch. Never could hit much with it. Bought it brand new and maybe never got it broke in before I sold it. By the time I bought it I was married and my daughter was born. So it didn't get shot nearly as much as the .44 mag. A few years back I decided I wanted a flat top .44 special. I picked one up with a 5-1/2" barrel since I had not had one with this length of barrel. I've enjoyed shooting it and have been thinking about fire lapping the bore on it. Haven't tried changing the springs out on any but may try that and see if I like my flat top any better. Lately I've been thinking about another one in .357 this time and the 4-5/8" barrel. I don't want a new one though. Been checking gunbroker and there are plenty of old three screw and older new models on the market right now. I've made up my mind if I do get another I want an older one since I've had better luck with used ones in the past. Does anyone here have a .357 Blackhawk? How do you like it?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good ol' Ruger Blackhawks

Post by ollogger »

Started out with the Blackhawks over 40 years ago, the 357 was always my favorite & still is
had others in 44 & 45 but the 357 always is on top, good with cast bullets or from mild to wild
mostly now every thing is mild, which reminds me I tried some Trail Boss in a 45 colt & it works great
yes used Blawkhawks are a good deal!!

Brad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a bunch of Ruger revolvers,most of them are single actions. Many ,if not most,Rugers in .45 Colt have ,until recently, had too small cylinder throats causing inaccuracy on the target. They become very good accurate shooters after the throats are reamed to proper dimensions. Having about a dozen+ in .45 Colt in my collection, I bought a reamer set and did my own. The very latest couple I have bought came with cylinder throats very close to proper diameter. Ruger must have finally gotten the news!
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have a bunch of Ruger revolvers,most of them are single actions. Many ,if not most,Rugers in .45 Colt have ,until recently, had too small cylinder throats causing inaccuracy on the target. They become very good accurate shooters after the throats are reamed to proper dimensions. Having about a dozen+ in .45 Colt in my collection, I bought a reamer set and did my own. The very latest couple I have bought came with cylinder throats very close to proper diameter. Ruger must have finally gotten the news!
What is the proper diameter?
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My reamer cuts to .4525 . That is the accepted target size for the .45 Colt that has a nominal .451 groove size as is spec. today.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had several .357 Ruger Old Models, and one New Blackhawk (a 50th Anniversary .357) but they were all 4-5/8" barreled.

YMMV, but I thought the short length guns handled/carried much better than the (various chamberings) longer barreled OM's I had at the same time.

Economy-wise, the .357 makes sense, against a .44 Mag - but I have to tell you that I enjoyed shooting & looking at a high-polish blue 1971 Super Blackhawk much more.

A New Model .357 has the same frame size now, as the Old Models (instead of the larger frame previously used on New Model .357's), and are made much better with the addition of a free spin pawl (either a bought pawl or one converted from the issue pawl).

IIRC, the very latest New Blackhawk's & New Vaquero's come from the factory with the free spin feature - but I haven't bought another new Ruger since I bought the 50th Anniversary model.

MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

I have had and still have a few. Now the chamberings all begin with a .44 or .45. Excluding the Single Six! I liked the .357 / .38 except for the noise. Now I load my own and lower the pressure and resulting noise with the same energy by going to a larger diameter projectile. Keep in mind, my single actions are only for woods loafing or hunting. I have .357's and .38 spls for self defense in double action revolvers. My single actions are for mental health walks. Double actions are for "Oh No" moments I hope to avoid. I always carry whenever appropriate and allowable. AKA awake!
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Got a few, old and new, everything but a .44.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
My first was a 41 Mag. Still have it and more. Then the 45 Colts ! Between the two calibers have never needed any else.
First BLK Hawk I shot was 1971 3/66 Armor at Ft Hood. One TC had a 30 Carbine Model. Our armorer Sp/4 Fred had cases of 30 Carbine "off the books" left over from Korea. Happily he would distribute hundreds of rounds for armadillo and wabbit hunting. I still have no idea why I never bought one in 30 Carbine.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've only a 4-5/8" .357 3 screw. Loved it. It then got stolen. And recovered... when I got it back, it looked like someone had drug it down the highway on the sights. A friend wanted it in the worst of possible ways, we traded straight across and I got a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Which I then gave my Dad. Ended up with another .357 3-screw that my wife used in cowboy action when she first started out... then traded for an Colt clone so she could compete in the then new "Ladies Traditional" category, which I still have. When I got her a 2nd Gen Colt SAA, the clone was used by my son. Have thought often about replacing that 3-screw. Just haven't come across the right deal. Like a S&W "K" frame, everyone should have a 3-screw .357 Blackhawk!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Veeman, what kind of grips are on the lower left Blackhawk. Those are some nice shooters by the way.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

For the last 30 years or so, I've usually had at least one Blackhawk in some form or caliber around. They've been my woods gun, truck gun, hunting gun and even carried some for self protection. Seems now most people figure if you don't have the latest high capacity wondergun it's too dangerous to walk out and get the mail. Every once in awhile, friends and family get together here at my range for a little shoot what you brought. I enjoy showing some of them that the old thumb busters are far from dead and only hits count. Besides Blackhawks are one good looking pistol.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've got three now, have had a few more in years past. I've found I can't get used to the New Models, they just aren't right to me. So I've decided to stick with the Old Models.
Can't post a pic as it's too big and I'm too occupied to shrink it. So, I've got a 7.5" 45 convertible, a .357 convertible, and a Super Single Six convertible. Only the .22 is an original convertible, the other two have had cylinders added by yours truly.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

hondo1892 wrote:Veeman, what kind of grips are on the lower left Blackhawk. Those are some nice shooters by the way.
Thanks. Spalted Maple.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Shot a bunch, even a .30 carbine. Never owned one. It is on the list.

Despite preferring 4" barrels on DA revolvers, the 5.5" has always been my favorite in SAA/Blackhawks. I don't mind the 4 5/8, but the 5.5 seems to "hang" better for me, and not get quite so muzzle heavy as the 7" when aiming for more than a second.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

MrMurphy wrote:Shot a bunch, even a .30 carbine. Never owned one. It is on the list.

Despite preferring 4" barrels on DA revolvers, the 5.5" has always been my favorite in SAA/Blackhawks. I don't mind the 4 5/8, but the 5.5 seems to "hang" better for me, and not get quite so muzzle heavy as the 7" when aiming for more than a second.
The normal Blackhawk has an aluminum ejector housing. If you replace that with a steel housing it makes a world of difference. I weighed the steel housing I put on my .45 Colt and it weighed 1 OZ more than the aluminum one. Doesn't sound like much, but you can feel it.
I added steel housings to both my other Ruger SAs.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've had a few over the years, but currently just this 357. I shoot 180 gr. cast bullets with 15.0 gr. of LilGun. Measured speed of 1367 fps. It's quite a thumper, and will flat out penetrate! I don't remember the exact depth, but it will shoot through about 2 feet of wet phone books. Off sandbags, it will put a full cylinder into an inch group at 25 yards. That's good enough for me.

NRA Life Member
Hans-Jurgen
Levergunner

Post by Hans-Jurgen »

I bought a used .357 Blackhawk, and was so impressed, I ordered one in .45 Colt, since that is my favorite caliber, for pistol & levergun. I already had 3 Vaquero's in .45 Colt. Still not sorry, they are all fun to shoot. I got my CCW with a 4 1/2" Vaquero. Very tight groups, and doesn't require multiple hits to stop some one. Natural pointers, and just as heave as any 1911, as far as alongside one head! I also carry a Sig 938, in case of a break down. I've had breakdowns on the range! Squibs suck! Two Blackhawks need a double holster, or you can't sit and get out of your chair, and keep your pants up!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

veeman wrote:Got a few, old and new, everything but a .44.
Oh my good gracious! Where's the drool alert before posting such a picture! Those are fantastic!!! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
bearnut
Levergunner

Post by bearnut »

I normally wouldn't want a revolver barrel any longer than 6" with the one exception being the Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. That beast just flat out shoots and the accuracy always brings a smile to my face. You gotta grip that sucker good, so the extra length and weight seem just about right for a steady hold on a distant target. Usually get impressive accuracy with the slow burning powders and just about any bullet weight. For me, no other handgun has proved so consistently accurate in the hundred yard realm and beyond.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Bearnut... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I have had to have every cylinder throat reamed on every Blackhawk I've got, makes a world of difference. Always thought I was just a bad shot. Turns out I still am, just not as bad, lol. I'll be picking up an OM 45 Thursday, 7 1/2' barrel.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I guess I should check the throats on my 4 5/8" .45 Colt New Model. I think someone spent some money on it to shoot heavy loads. It's the best shooter of all my BHs, I'm pretty sure it has a Bullseye spring kit too. It has a stainless grip frame and ejector rod housing and to me it balances very well. I also have a 6 1/2" .357, 7 1/2" .30 Carbine and a 9 1/2" Single Six. That was my IHMSA smallbore revolver.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As everyone here knows, other than an apparent and unexplainable gift for photographing my feet in my slippers, my photography skills stink. Still, here's a quick shot of my three Ruger Blackhawk revolvers (okay, the first one is a "Super Blackhawk").

All old models! :D :D :D

Top to bottom: Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum with American hickory grips.
Middle: Ruger Blackhawk in .30 M1 Carbine with a Bushnell 2.5 Magnum Phantom pistol scope.
Bottom: EARLY Ruger Blackhawk "flattop" .357 Magnum with Klamath River poly-ivory grips.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

That's a beautiful photo.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Thanks for the pictures. Over the years I have or still own almost one of each caliber BH and in some cases I have pairs because of cowboy shooting. Like many of you I have been to the world of semi-autos and double actions of various kinds, including Rugers, but I always come back to the Blackhawks. Simple, rugged, accurate and good looking. One of these days I will get rid of everything else so I can enjoy my Blackhawks more. I often fall into the modern survival mentality that says I must have an AR and a semi-auto handgun or I will have no chance to survive, when I truly love my leverguns and Ruger single actions more. I guess that is what happens to a dinosaur after 50 years of enjoying firearms.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My grandson has a pair of New Vaqueros in .357 4 3/4" or whatever they are, and he has a New Blackhawk in .45 Colt with a .45 acp cylinder and short barrel. They sit in the safe beside my 1957 Colt SAA .45. I have shot them and they do shoot nice.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Picked up this OM Blackhawk couple days ago, 45 convertible, possibly unfired. I'm sure the ACP cylinder is unfired, the Colt cylinder has the faintest of rings, possibly only factory firing? Throats are way undersize, will need reaming.