Marlin vs. Winchester Dovetail Cuts ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin vs. Winchester Dovetail Cuts ???

Post by mohavesam »

To end all the decades of blood in the streets arguing about this.
Anyone know the differences between the dovetail cuts on the common M336 and the W94 leverguns? I've tried using the Williams and others' specs, but am not finding the detail...

We're going to make/buy dovetail fillers to replace the rear base, etc. here. Thx in advance
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Marlin vs. Winchester Dovetail Cuts ???

Post by guntar »

Check the suppliers of the fillers and see if they are different models. If that doesn't work you may need to buy one of each and compare.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Williams makes one that has worked in both brands of rifle for me. It is made of aluminum and is an easy slip fit but has a tiny hex key set screw in the center to retain it. They are not the sexiest thing ever but they work and fill that nasty finger ripping dovetail.
That said, I much prefer the Marbles slot blank as it is much better looking but may need a little fitting by hand. Or make one from an unused rear sight. I am sure someone will post a picture of that very thing soon. Have fun!
That said, I have found those dovetail cuts to run large and small in both brands of gun. Try it and see has always been my method of finding out just what fits best.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I've used standard 3/8" dovetail fillers on both with only very minor fitting.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

claybob86 wrote:I've used standard 3/8" dovetail fillers on both with only very minor fitting.
Same here. I think they are nominally the same, but there may be small individual variances from gun to gun that require very minor fitting.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+3 - But, I file up my dovetail slot fillers from any old longleaf rear open/iron sight (either from my scrounge box or a gunsmith's scrounge box)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I buy Marbles 3/8" sight blank fillers from Brownells, and never had any issues fitting either.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/