Wolf online subscriptions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Wolf online subscriptions?

Post by Rusty »

I've been considering subscriptions to Handloader and Rifle magazines in the digital form. Does anyone know if buying a subscription gives you privileges to their archives?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wolf online subscriptions?

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote:I've been considering subscriptions to Handloader and Rifle magazines in the digital form. Does anyone know if buying a subscription gives you privileges to their archives?
I think they want you to buy the back issues on CD at 10 bucks a year.
Let us know if you find out.

20 dollars a year for all 3 magazines is not bad. I'm an old fanny burp who clings bitterly to my paper magazines. But I may have to change. Especially if I can access the online versions from my computer, laptop, tablet, phone.......
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

I have the online version and it works okay. You can download the prior issue of the magazine but nothing in the archives.

Chris
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I realize I'm becoming a geezer....I still really, really prefer paper magazines and real books... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Me-too, Doc - I have a LOT of Handloader, and just about every issue of Rifle sitting in one of my bookcase's.

At least I'll have something to read if there's a widespread power outage..........

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

If I can't access the archives, I ain't "prescribin." ...

--Angry white male clinging to guns and religion

:lol:
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Ya its just not the same going to the bathroom and packing a laptop, give me the magazine. :lol:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:I realize I'm becoming a geezer....I still really, really prefer paper magazines and real books... :|
My ipad holds subscriptions to 10 or so magazines i subscribe to plus a small library of books on kindle

Im good to go at airports, on trips, waiting at the quik lube, -- best part, being able to read in bed while my SO saws logs beside me

I will continue to seek out/collect interesting and great books for my collection in real form, ---- but reading magazines and popular fiction/mysteries? Its all kindle for me now
----- Doug
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

harry wrote:Ya its just not the same going to the bathroom and packing a laptop, give me the magazine. :lol:
Isn't the magazine paper a little ............................. slick? :) :)
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Bullard4075 wrote:
harry wrote:Ya its just not the same going to the bathroom and packing a laptop, give me the magazine. :lol:
Isn't the magazine paper a little ............................. slick? :) :)
You're thinking of Time magazine...
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I generally like regular magazines as well. I wouldn't care about all 3 magazines, Rifle and Handloader would be my main focus but if I can't access archives I don't see the bargain.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote:I generally like regular magazines as well. I wouldn't care about all 3 magazines, Rifle and Handloader would be my main focus but if I can't access archives I don't see the bargain.
For a year I got all three paper magazines. Yesterday, I was digging through some piles, doing a bit of Spring cleaning. I found 3 of the Hunter magazines, still in the plastic wrap. I guess I wasn't too excited about them. Sure liked the other two, though.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I tried the online subs. I just didn't get along with not seeing all the page on my screen. If the whole page was sized to be on screen, it was too small to read. I still prefer paper.
NRA Life Member
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Storage problems, here, and I had shelves full of various gun mags, several subscriptions, with something like 20 years of various gun mags. It was painful, but I decided that it was time for either reloading components or the magazines to find another home. I even offered them for free at this forum with no takers. The only proviso was for the recipient to reimburse me for the rather inexpensive USPS bulk shipping container, or whatever it's called.

So I gave them away to a relative, a half dozen each month over a couple of years, which he read and/or gave away at his business (he has GOOD type folks for customers). Guns and Ammo (including some early classic editions), Guns, Shooting Times, Rifle Magazine, Successful Hunter, The American Rifleman, Handguns, various yearly Anthologies... Snooze and lose.

With most gun mags now online as digital subscriptions, I can still print a few really interesting articles for "bathroom study." Even NRA's mags can now be had digitally if one wishes.

One huge advantage over printed matter, besides the storage problem:
With a proper word search utility, I can find a previously written article on any topic in a couple of seconds,
or frequently even a load or fact, no matter how old the issue. In fact, I have use these archived digital copies to help Levergunners at this site, several times.

Likewise, some articles with load data or other info that pertains specifically to my needs is captured and saved in short documents and labeled accordingly, such as "45 Colt_45_270_SAA_20kLoads_hl246.pdf" (article on 20,000 psi 45 Colt loads for the Ruger Blackhawk using the classic 270 grain SAA bullet, from Handloader Issue 246).

Forgive me for the trite expression, but "It works for me."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Second answer, since somebody might be curious as to how text can be found within stored files:

My previous occupation necessitated the use of the excellent but very pricey desktop / network file and word indexing software called "dtSearch." But there are other less pricey alternatives available, for finding words or phrases within stored magazine files.

This link talks about free software of this type:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... tility.htm

Apparently, "Google Desktop Search" has some functionality. I would suspect that "Locate 32" is the best candidate for free search software. Can it look inside "searchable" PDF files? I don't know.

dtSearch does although it costs an arm and a leg: $199 for the "Desktop" (one computer, non-network search) version. On the other hand, you get lifetime updates, and it is an amazing tool with lots of features.

For dtSearch, you need a Windows computer with what is now considered a normal amount of disk storage space to hold the index or indexes that you create for your searches. Usually, only one is needed; but for instance I set up a separate index just for "Guns and Ammo" articles to filter out non-related data.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Considering the portability of the paper versions I guess I'll go old school. I also read somewhere that the tactile stimulus of having a physical piece of material in the hands actually promotes better retention of the material.