What do these containers hold?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

What do these containers hold?

Post by J Miller »

I was out and about the other day and saw this Hummer with an interesting rack on the rear.
IMG_6381.JPG
He's got his Hi-Lift jack crosswise above the tire mount, and four containers, two on each side.
What I was curious about is the four containers attached to the rack. They don't look like liquid containers, so what would be stored or kept in them?

I've never seen this set up before.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: What do these containers hold?

Post by Thunder50 »

They are liquid containers IIRC. Fuel and water more than likely. Seen some like it on ATV's
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, fuel and water most likely.

See many ideas for setting up vehicles for trips and adventuring on the American Adventurist and Expedition Portal forums.

I really like how some have made compact slide out kitchens and shower arrangements in trucks, SUV's or adventure trailers.

The rooftop tents are a cool idea, but I have zero interest in having a tent I have to use a ladder to get in or out of.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yep, water and fuel. New version of the old jerry can. These can be stacked together so that you can have as many as three hooked together. My BIL has them in his pickup bed. They have a special mounting rack for that. And, for us old geezers (and he's even older) they are easier to lift than the 5 gallon cans we grew up with. They don't rust either :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Rotapax containers, find our more, here:

http://home.rotopax.com/

they're all the rage right now for jeepsters, off-roaders, adventure bikes, etc.

Have no idea what those colors are for. Always thought blue was for kerosene/diesel and black, I dunno.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

C-4 explosive. Under advanced photo enhancement, the license plate reads "ISIS-1".
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hummer or Jeep? Looks the latter to me.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

wescoger,
Thanks for the link.
That's some very interesting equipment. If I were back in AZ where I was out and about most every weekend I'd be getting some of that.

rjohns94,
Commercial GM made Hummer, not the military Hum V. I think they were made on the Chevy Blazer chassis.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Saw a lot of those containers this past summer, on everything from heavy pu trucks to touring motorcycles..

Northwest Wyoming suffers from a lack of back-country gas stations and potable water sources..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Whricey for me.at do these containers hold?

Post by jhrosier »

120 bux for a 4 gallon gas can?

Sounds a bit pricey for me.

Jack
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buck Elliott wrote:Saw a lot of those containers this past summer, on everything from heavy pu trucks to touring motorcycles..

Northwest Wyoming suffers from a lack of back-country gas stations and potable water sources..
Buck,
I can imagine. Arizona, where I used to live, has places like that. And when you get out in the boonies in 4 low crawling the mountain trails you can burn up a lot of gas pretty quick. I always carried at least an extra 5 gals of fuel with me.

Jack,
I agree about the steep pricing. I checked out the mounting systems to see if they listed any for the Pathfinder. About had a stroke looking at the prices.

Joe
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
For that cost I would buy a welder, old bed rails and spend an afternoon saving money.
But there are those who desire to be fashionable. I recon it would look nicer for a "guide" to have a vehicle that "fits the view" to haul city lawyers and dentists around.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

120 bux for a 4 gallon gas can?

Manufacturers list price, you do cheaper going to amazon and other sites.

Yes, they are pricy. But you can pull those containers off that hummer, drive over them, then mount them back with only a couple add'tl scratches.

Or you can go cheap with keeping your water in a one gallon milk jug and your gas in one of those red plastic jugs from Dollar General.

It's a neat system, they stack and pack with a lot of flexibility for your logistics. It comes down to the user to make the decision on cost and utility.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J Miller wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:Saw a lot of those containers this past summer, on everything from heavy pu trucks to touring motorcycles..

Buck,
I can imagine. Arizona, where I used to live, has places like that. And when you get out in the boonies in 4 low crawling the mountain trails you can burn up a lot of gas pretty quick. I always carried at least an extra 5 gals of fuel with me.

Jack,
I agree about the steep pricing. I checked out the mounting systems to see if they listed any for the Pathfinder. About had a stroke looking at the prices.

Joe
Price is steep. I can assure you they are making a pretty good profit on each item sold. They also get to sell you the racks and such. But, one of the great things about our economic system is you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. And if no one buys them they go out of business. But from what I've observed, they are selling pretty well. Me, I've got some stainless steel jerry cans I picked up years ago (and they were more than these newer ones), but they have lasted so long they have paid for themselves many times over.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad