My local gun shop just got in...........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

My local gun shop just got in...........

Post by hightime »

1873 Winchester oct long barrel in a 22 short. I didn't know they existed. Are they rare? I offered them a thousand because I've seen 44-40 in this good condition asking $5,000. They said it just came in and needs to be appraised. So they wouldn't price it yet.

Owen
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: My local gun shop just got in...........

Post by plowboy 45 »

The extra long chambering is the rare one
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I looked on Gunbroker. The cheapest start at $1999 and go to $5000 for th .22 short. No bidders though. Hope you get that one! They sure are pretty rifles.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jkbrea wrote:I looked on Gunbroker. The cheapest start at $1999 and go to $5000 for th .22 short. No bidders though. Hope you get that one! They sure are pretty rifles.
The starting bids, like "but-it-now" numbers, are not a value - they are only numbers that the seller puts out there.

If there's a reserve, you can bet the final selling price will be much higher. (and may also go higher, even w/o a reserve)

In any event, .22cal Model 1873's are rarely found in good/excellent condition, and one in anywhere near good condition has been changing hands a lot closer to $10K than those starting bids.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It will likely go high from what others have said.

A friend had one for a short time in the 80's. We'd shoot it in his yard in town with CB shorts. Very cool and fun old gun.

FWIW, I had a Uberti copy of a 73 carbine in 22 lr for a short time, and a 66 copy that I kept for several years. Would truly like to find another 73 carbine for fun shooting.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I finally snagged one in 22 long. most any 1873 in 22 rimfire , if not butchered or refinished, will go over 2000$ these days. I have watched them on auctions and seen the actual selling price for several years now. really nice ones with most finish on them go well into the thousands.
cable
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Just the follow up. Turns out they priced it at $2,500.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

hightime wrote:Just the follow up. Turns out they priced it at $2,500.
It sounds like you can re-sell it online (GunBroker, GunAuction, etc) & buy a few very nice guns with the profit. :mrgreen:

If I bought it, for the best return on my investment, I'd consign it to one of the big auction houses (Julia, Rock Island, etc, etc).