Lyman tang sight question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Lyman tang sight question

Post by iceman »

I picked up an interesting rifle today. A model 94 in 32ws (32 special) circa 1920. It has a 26" half octagon /half round barrel and a Lyman tang sight with the large target disc. It also has the standard rear sight on the barrel.
My question is does the tang sight really increase the value of the rifle, or is it better to sell the sight separate from the rifle? I may just install it on my circa 1942 model 94 that I don't use anymore because I can't see the standard sight properly and I don't want to tap the receiver for a Williams peep. It is set up for the Lyman tang sight.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lyman tang sight question

Post by Old No7 »

iceman wrote:My question is does the tang sight really increase the value of the rifle, or is it better to sell the sight separate from the rifle?
I've observed that some of the older ("vintage") Lyman tang sights can fetch well over $200 on their own, depending on the exact model, the scarcity of it, and then how badly the buyer wants it. So yes, it can increase the worth of the rifle.

Whether you remove it and sell it, or use it, is up to you and based on needs/wants (yours, and the potential buyer's too), how the removed sight impacts the rifle (as some guns are drilled & tapped for the tang sights, and/or have the regular rear sight removed), and there could be some regional differences too (big woods and older hunters, sometimes tang sights are more popular).

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I could be wrong, but I thought most early model 94 rifles were tapped to accept a tang sight. This rifle has both a standard barrel sight and a tang peep sight. I don't really see how having both sights would give good result. The barrel sight does not fold down so when looking through the tang sight you can also see the standard rear sight. I always thought it was one or the other. I will take some pictures tomorrow when I can get better light.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Yes one or the other for me also, if it was me in your situation I would put it on the 1942 year 94
or sell it on its own, I think 42 was bout the last year the tang was drilled?

ollogger
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

If you do move it, that will give you a screw blank for the threaded hole that is left in the half octagon rifle. Of course Brownells or Midway has plenty of screws. If the Lyman is an expensive one that you want to sell you can always buy a new one that looks almost like the one you have.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

iceman wrote:
I could be wrong, but I thought most early model 94 rifles were tapped to accept a tang sight.

This rifle has both a standard barrel sight and a tang peep sight. I don't really see how having both sights would give good result.

The barrel sight does not fold down so when looking through the tang sight you can also see the standard rear sight

Winchester did a tang sight prep on Model 1894/94's until about SN 1,350,000 (pre-war); then didn't prep for any tang or receiver peep sight until about the 1,790,00 SN range (early 1950's), when the LH receiver sight prep began (running to 1983, when the Model 94AE was introduced).

Having both tang & rear barrel sights on the same rifle allows setting up dual zeroes for the rifle - the barrel sights for 75-100yds, the tanger for 125-150yds.

Of course, the best practical use would be to switch out the rear bbl sight for the factory optional Marble's #95 longleaf rear sight with a folding blade.

In hunting situations, the rifle so outfitted should be carried with the tang sight folded & the rear barrel folder raised - for use when game might present a close/fast shot.

If game is spotted at a longer range, the shooter should have plenty of time to simultaneously fold the barrel sight with the hand on the forend, and raise the tang sight with the trigger hand, before making the shot. (practice makes perfect)

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

My 94 take down in 32 Special has a Lyman a tang sight. Unfortunately the little flip down appeture reducer is missing. I'll make a replacement one of these days. I just took a whitetail doe with it at a measured 114 yds!

Whole article about it on this link:

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/1894-w ... hab-2.html

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com