Success

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Success

Post by 6pt-sika »

We've had sunday hunting for two seasons now . Last sunday and today were the first times I did it in VA . Hunted sunday in a couple other states years ago . Anyway I got out in a new stand site at about 6:15AM this morning . Carried along my refinished circa 1967 Marlin 444 with a nice old Leupold Vari XII 3-9 on top . The gun had 4 rounds of RCBS 44-240GC SWC pushed with 52 grains of H322 in the magazine . Also had my circa 1899 Parker EH 10 gauge #3 frame with 32" IM/IM barrels loaded with #3 buck in the right barrel and 00 Buck in the left barrel .

Had a doe come by at about 07:30 closely followed by a spike and for some strange reason I didn't try to kill either of them . Watched and listened awhile and ate a snack then I "accidently" dozed off for about 20-30 minutes . Woke up about 09:45 and started thinking about getting my stuff together and coming down . I pulled up my scent candle and had it put away when I heard something about 60-75 yards behind me and saw a rather fat doe . I was thinking I might blast her when I saw movement behind her a second doe , then rather quickly I saw another deer with antlers .

They were directly behind me , but the Trophy Whitetail stands I've been using for about 25 years are good for standing turning around etc . Got the gun up and cranked the scope up the buck was better then I anticipated so I waited about 30 seconds for him to step out from behind some brush . When he did I let fly with a home cast RCBS 44-240GC SWC pushed with 52 grains of H322 and set off with a CCI200 primer . At the crack of the rifle he dropped on his chin and headed straight down the hill in my direction and stopped about 20 yards from me . Blood was pouring out the side , so I didn't think he was gonna get away from me , but I have this thing about not wanting them to suffer even though I like shooting them and I put a second in his neck . He flipped over and ended up 10 yards from the base of the tree I was perched in !

That pic was taken from my treestand .

He's a 3 1/2 possibly 4 1/2 year old deer . A friend that hunts the adjacent piece of property told me about this deer three weeks ago . If the left beam wasn't broken in front of the G3 tine I might have gotten him mounted he has a 20"+ outside spread . That's the widest whitetail I've taken to date . Also the first deer I've taken on a sunday !

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Success

Post by boolitshooter »

Great way to end the hunt.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

boolitshooter wrote:Great way to end the hunt.
Yes and he's already cut up and in the freezer !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Can't argue with a 444.
Well done to you sir :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote:Can't argue with a 444.
Well done to you sir :)
Many thanks !
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

He was pretty wide for sure. Good for you.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Looks like he's been a working those antlers pretty good. Nice and wide!! Good un'. :D
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Fine shootin on a good buck
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Awesome!!!! Lucky you got that nap in so you were focused!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Nice buck 6pt.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Nice!!!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nice job 6 pt. that buck might be a good candidate for a European mount, they look great, don't cost a lot. 8)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well done, good looking buck and lots of good meat.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Many times I've intentionally gone out and first thing I do is drift off to sleep, or at least semi-sleep, while I listen to things. It keeps me quiet, lets the 'dumb' deer wander by (who are usually smaller ones anyway), and then about the time it's been quiet for awhile, the bigger deer start coming by and it's time to wake up... 8)

I wish we could hunt with the 444 Marlin here; the power isn't needed vs a 44 Magnum, but the higher velocity does extend the practical (non-hold-over) range a bit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote:Nice job 6 pt. that buck might be a good candidate for a European mount, they look great, don't cost a lot. 8)
I think I'm gonna skin the head out the rest of the way Monday or Tuesday , then use the bandsaw to cut it down to the skull cap wash with bleach let it dry and bold it on a decent piece of walnut . Done several others that way and the best thing is it's free !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:Many times I've intentionally gone out and first thing I do is drift off to sleep, or at least semi-sleep, while I listen to things. It keeps me quiet, lets the 'dumb' deer wander by (who are usually smaller ones anyway), and then about the time it's been quiet for awhile, the bigger deer start coming by and it's time to wake up... 8)

I wish we could hunt with the 444 Marlin here; the power isn't needed vs a 44 Magnum, but the higher velocity does extend the practical (non-hold-over) range a bit.
"Generally" when I carry a 444 I hunt somewhere I'm pretty sure the longest shot will be no more then 125-150 yards . In the past I've wacked a few deer out past 125 yards with 44 MAG carbines and they did the job well enough . But I would almost always prefer having more then I needed rather then not enough and needing it :wink:

What I need is to find a place to hunt around here where I can regularly get shots in excess of 300 yards then maybe I could put my 26 Nosler to the job it was conceived !
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nice shot!

Good thing you passed on the doe & spike at 7:30 that morning. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I really like that rack. Yes, it's too bad he broke that tine off but it just gives him character. Enjoy that backstrap.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS