A Black Powder/Flinter Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

A Black Powder/Flinter Question

Post by Blaine »

Could larger flakes of BP be carefully ground, in maybe a non-metallic mortar and pestle, for use in the lock?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Re: A Black Powder/Flinter Question

Post by Glenn »

Blaine, I've read that a can of FFFg has plenty of "fines" in it, if you use the right size screen. Not sure what the right size is, or where to get it, but that's a start for you.
Glenn
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm not an expert, but I don't see why not, as long as one was extremely careful to make sure no heat or spark was possible.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Actually, come to think of it, the way many flintlock military muskets were loaded was to pour a bit of the main charge into the frizzen pan, so why grind it?
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Here's one screen set, but kind of pricey:

http://www.cal-graf.com/products-page/r ... terscreen/

Glenn
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Blain, short answer is yes. But my first question is what size are you using for the main charge? If its fffg use it as is. I even use ffg when I'm hunting many most of the time. You can tell the difference between ffg and ffffg but not much difference with fffg. The biggest problems with flintlocks is poor geometry, frizzen too soft/hard and improper placement of vent liner or vent liner not made properly. All of these things can effect speed in firing as much and more than the priming powder size. PM me if you want to ask more questions.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I used to grind small amounts for priming all the time. FFFFg powder was never to be found locally.
I used to use a stainless steel spoon , the round bottom part, against a plastic bowl. I never ground more than around 10 grain weight at a time until I had what I needed for my flintlock or miniature cannon. I have made and fired tiny cannon with bores around 1/8". My brothers and I shot each others toy soldiers with them and wads of paper for projectiles on the kitchen table. No, mom did not object.....much!
As others have said, FFFg works fine for flintlock priming assuming your lock is of good quality and will make sparks. :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: My mind gets restless sometimes, and I mentally go "TEOTWAWKI" mode.....I've always had a yearning for a dependable flintlock. I don't think that I'll outlive my ammo, and reloading supplies (mostly, because I won't go below a certain level for my recreational purposes), but, like I said, I have fun with thinking about pelosi..... :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned two Austin & Halleck .50cal rocklock Mountain Rifles (a 1:28 twist & a 1:60 twist), one of which I sold (the 1:28) to another levergunner, several years ago. (I hope you're still enjoying it, Paul :) )

Both were stone-reliable, with a very fast (virtually instant) ignition that both surprised me :o & made my caplock rifles blush. :oops:

Believing in K.I.S.S., I only ever used FFFg (Holy Black) in both rifles, for both the priming & the main charge.

I wouldn't, however, grind a coarser powder down/finer, mostly because I don't think I could control/duplicate the final product consistently & partially, because BP isn't very hard for me to find/ buy locally.

zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

Hi -

I shoot flintlocks and percussion most often. MY locks are tuned, and the touch holes are .062 to .067" in diameter. That pretty much reduces the need for anything finer than 3F black powder.

However, for shooting trap or skeet in nice dry weather I have been known to add some 7F powder, or simply crush some courser powder with a tablespoon. A rolling motion between a folder piece of paper or envelope. This is added to the contents of my priming horn.

For hunting I use 3F.

I just got a nice 10 gauge Blunderbus :). have not had a chance to get if out yet.

Enjoy,
Mike P
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Blaine, PM sent
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Les Staley wrote:Blaine, PM sent
Received, and thank you kindly. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

BlaineG wrote::lol: My mind gets restless sometimes, and I mentally go "TEOTWAWKI" mode.....I've always had a yearning for a dependable flintlock. I don't think that I'll outlive my ammo, and reloading supplies (mostly, because I won't go below a certain level for my recreational purposes), but, like I said, I have fun with thinking about pelosi..... :oops:

You really should buy this one from me:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Very nice Mike :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's nice Mike. I miss my Cabin Creek Yorktown rifle. I primed with FFFg before I got hold of the FFFFg. Then one time at a match I found some 7Fg. While all of them worked to fire the rifle you could tell the difference between the 3. Fast, faster, fastest.

I think if I was going to get another front stuffer I'd look for a smoothbore of about .58 cal... just for fun.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Rusty,
The one above is a smooth bore. Comes with everything including ball mode, bag, wads, etc.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My 58 smooth is like a rifle to 50yds!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Since we're talking about muzzleloaders...Here's my most recent acquisition:

She's a 40 cal. Southern Mountain Rifle ( Yes...that's LEFT-hand..!!) built by Mike Davis for me.
42" Rice BBL. ,Chambers lock, Davis Trigger.
At 50 yds...even with my very poor vision...she'll put 5 shots into a single ragged hole you can cover with a quarter from the rest.
I'm using Swiss "Null B" priming powder. Not sure what "f" granulation that is equivalent to, but it's definitely quick.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Some gorgeous guns here, gents. Blaine, when I was shooting a Brown Bess, I just used some of the FFg from the paper cartridges I made and had excellent ignition.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:
BlaineG wrote::lol: My mind gets restless sometimes, and I mentally go "TEOTWAWKI" mode.....I've always had a yearning for a dependable flintlock. I don't think that I'll outlive my ammo, and reloading supplies (mostly, because I won't go below a certain level for my recreational purposes), but, like I said, I have fun with thinking about pelosi..... :oops:

You really should buy this one from me:
What caliber/gauge is that one Mike?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A million years ago I posted a longish thread about sifting Fireworks grade BP to make it into Gun Grade BP.

The upshot of it was out of 25lb of Dirty "3F" Lidu I ended up with a huge pile of REAL 3F - which shot really clean and consistent, and a few pounds of 4F - equally clean and consistent - for my pistols, and around a litre of 7F which was not so clean, but was really, really fast and touchy - and works amazingly well in a flash pan.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Old Ironsights wrote:A million years ago I posted a longish thread about sifting Fireworks grade BP to make it into Gun Grade BP.

The upshot of it was out of 25lb of Dirty "3F" Lidu I ended up with a huge pile of REAL 3F - which shot really clean and consistent, and a few pounds of 4F - equally clean and consistent - for my pistols, and around a litre of 7F which was not so clean, but was really, really fast and touchy - and works amazingly well in a flash pan.
I do remember that OI :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!