Macs evidently CAN get viruses...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Macs evidently CAN get viruses...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just got a pop-up that could not be closed with any method other than a hold-the-start-button-down-for-ten-seconds method, and it told me "Your Mac runs so slow; your network and internet will get even slower unless you click here and clean your Mac..."

:evil:
Nasty Mac Pop-up.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Macs evidently CAN get viruses...

Post by vancelw »

I don't believe that's a virus.
It's most likely a script on your browser.

Start the browser in safe mode and close the offending window. Stay away from those sites.... :wink:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:I don't believe that's a virus.

Start the browser in safe mode and close the offending window. Stay away from those sites.... :wink:
^^^What he said (but, I've never heard of safe mode for a Mac)

You might want to try Chrome for Mac....Mo Betta than Safari.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:[
I think that's a good idea...

My biggest headache with the Mac is that it is SO HOSTILE to any 'foreign' (non-Apple) software...!!!!

Whenever I try to run OpenOffice (an open-source version of the 'Microsoft Word' suite) I have to go through screens that the Mac pops up making me verify that I want to run 'outside' software, and the only way to make it smooth seems to be to "allow any outside program to run" which may open up vulnerability. Same thing happens for my ballistics program, and several others that have bonafide 'Mac' versions, but aren't available through the Apple Store.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Yup, that's just an ad trying to get you to buy something you don't need.

But Macs do get viruses. I run anti virus software and I've found them once, maybe twice, though I don't know what they were doing or supposed to be doing, everything worked just fine. Twice in 13 years is pretty good though. :D
Slow is just slow.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Sounds like MacKeeper. They're a sneaky bunch. Somehow they attach themselves to other websites. Don't click any buttons inside the popup or you could end up downloading it.
Go to the apple symbol and select "force quit", quit the browser, then reselect the browser from the dock and continue what you were doing. No need to do a hard restart of the whole computer.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

williamranks wrote:Go to the apple symbol and select "force quit", quit the browser, then reselect the browser from the dock and continue what you were doing. No need to do a hard restart of the whole computer.
Thanks. Didn't know about that option.

MacKeeper sounds like the Norton bunch... :|

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got a phone call last week. The foreign voice that I could barely understand said "Looks like you are having computer problems" Of course I said at once "I'm a Policeman..."blank" Off."
You have to be careful these days.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

yes macs get viruses. it's the unix base that provides the security and resistance to attacks. what you see is a user interface that's running on unix.

Doc, I don't know if apple accomodates this, but you may be able to open and run the software as 'administrator'. I don't know how to 'right-click' an apple executeable. If the option exists it authorizes the use of the non-sanctioned software.

somehow I get a light thrill running un-sanctioned software on W10 as admin. easily amused I guess.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Found some useful info on an Apple Users Discussion Forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6791446

Also MalwareBytes (which has always seemed reputable and helpful for Windows) has this:

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg/

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that was interesting, I copied the articles for admin ref.

another way to accomplish the manual method is to boot the computer from a usb drive to linux. this allows you to roam the folders freely without os interference. make repairs. when the patient wakes up, it's as if the problem never existed.

I don't know how to set up an apple to boot from an external drive, it's routine with windoz. interrupt bootup to enter the bios setup and find the bootmenu, enable other boot devices, and select a boot order that makes your hard drive the last thing to boot.

I use the dvd drive as 1, usb drive as 2, and hard drive as 3. the computer will use the opsys it discovers first.

https://craftedflash.com/info/how-boot- ... lash-drive

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/boot_menu.htm

routine maintenance but just for giggles, there are some hacks that control your computer from the bootmenu . . .

P.S. I am not recommending or endorsing craftedflash. it could be a hack itself. I recommend puppy linux, a clean dl NOT via bittorrent, imaged to dvd and then ported to a usb stick with the computer NOT connected to the internet, and with NO HARD DRIVE connected to the mach. . . that's just how I roll :lol:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
vancelw wrote:I don't believe that's a virus.

^^^What he said (but, I've never heard of safe mode for a Mac)

Most browsers will start in a safe mode (add-ons disabled, etc.) and you can avoid auto-reopening the offending window by deleting it from the history or recently opened tabs. I'm not sure if Safari has a safe mode or not.

Max OS definitely has a safe mode. I haven't used OS X much, but you used to have to boot your Mac in safe mode (extensions disabled) whenever you wanted to install something.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

If you want an antivirus see the reviews in the link.
Any of them will slow down operation because they scan all incoming.
I used to use Sophos but they've slipped badly for mac in the last few years.
The good ones for Mac are free because, while most won't effect the Mac, they can be passed on to microsoft machines via email.
I used Avira in the last machine and it seemed to work well, I didn't bother on this one. Hard to tell how it works because you don't see all that it's doing.
If you get one the first scan will take a while. It'll check the entire machine.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivi ... 588-6.html

http://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-mac
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

williamranks wrote:If you want an antivirus see the reviews in the link.
Any of them will slow down operation because they scan all incoming.
I used to use Sophos but they've slipped badly for mac in the last few years.
The good ones for Mac are free because, while most won't effect the Mac, they can be passed on to microsoft machines via email.
I used Avira in the last machine and it seemed to work well, I didn't bother on this one. Hard to tell how it works because you don't see all that it's doing.
If you get one the first scan will take a while. It'll check the entire machine.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivi ... 588-6.html

http://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-mac
Thanks for the link.....My free AVG got corrupted, and I didn't want to pay for it this time around.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV