OT Red Loc-Tite...UGH!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

OT Red Loc-Tite...UGH!

Post by BruceB »

I bought an upper receiver for an LR308 from a co-worker who decided to red Loctite the barrel nut when he assembled it. What are some ways to defeat Loctite? Heat? Acetone? Other? :oops:
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT Red Loc-Tite...UGH!

Post by flatnose »

methylene chloride , or heat.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Red Loctite is only used (correctly) in ONE place on a Harley-Davidson. When necessary to pull the compensator nut that has been secured with it, (and 100 ft. lbs. of torque)...we use a torch.
No idea how chemicals might work, but I'd give a long soak in methylene chloride or acetone a try...what have you got to lose..???
Your best hope is that the idiot failed to prepare the surface properly and the red stuff isn't able to secure the part as tightly as it might.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Heat the part until you see a wisp of smoke at the Loctited joint. About 600 degrees should do it. If the part is threaded, I'd give it a soaking with PB Blaster while it's still good & warm. Give it about 30 minutes to work.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Yep, they've got to "bed" the barrel with locktite. I had to disassemble several from a certain manufacturer that were done that way. It is a pain and there is no reason for it, except it causes people to pay more money for the guns because they think it is doing something for accuracy.

You can argue all you want, but my argument is always the same: If I can assemble a rifle that shoots as accurately as a rifle assembled using some of these gimmicks carried over from bolt rifles, then what is the advantages of the gimmicks?

Careful with the heat, you can heat aluminum too much.