big bears and 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: big bears and 45-70

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Heavy Hardcast Large Frontal Area (meplat) @ Medium Velocity :wink:

550 Grain Jae-Bok Young Crater

525 Grain Beartooth Pile-driver
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Pitchfire
Levergunner

Post by Pitchfire »

Not to bring this back up, but to add an addendum, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJHjSfap7c
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pitchfire wrote:Not to bring this back up, but to add an addendum, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJHjSfap7c
I can attest that I watched a fellow Forumite do this test several years ago with similar results....I can't recall the exact bullet, but it was a 500, or 525 at about that same fps.....IIRC, I shot one of them out of my BFR, and recoil was not horrible. It was not bad at all from my Guide Gun....
Maybe "Grizz" will chime in...He might even have pictures....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

was the 458 Lott really developed because of the many failures and fatal encounters of the 458 Winchester?

I have no interest at all in Africa or African hunting.. wouldn't go even if it was free or even if you paid me ..but I would think i might remember seeing articles about that ? ? ....

I always thought it and many others were developed by the 'more is better / mine is bigger than yours' crowd.
Last edited by hfcable on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cable
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I'm with Joe, he is a gentleman of the highest order, those who opt to cast stones at him are sadly without my respect. Enough Said! God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Pitchfire, thanks for this resurrection. I just dug out two of my old 45-70s yesterday. Haven't done any shooting with them for about 15 years. Killed seven Black bears in Wyoming in the late 90s early 2000s, mostly with a Marlin 95 that could be easily scoped (bears don't usually move till last light). Two of these bears measured 6'8" tip of nose to tail. It could sit on its butt in your doorway and touch the head jamb with its nose. No experience with the Big ones..Mostly shot handloads with 300 gr jacketed bullets. None complained much, mostly bang flops. Quit hunting bear, figured I had enough rugs and such, sold the Marlin. Still have a Shilo Hartford model, a Browning 85 traditional hunter, and a couple others that will take care of my daylight shooting. Today tried a new gas checked cast 395 gr over 14 gr of Trailboss. Shoots lights out. Deer season starts Sat. here in North Idaho..
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fun to reread this. The thought still struck me... I always thought the adage was... "a big, heavy, slow bullet will penetrate farther then a small, light, fast one."

Nor should it surprise anyone that the same bullet will penetrate farther when pushed faster. IF, it's construction allows for that higher velocity. It's the reason my rounds in 45Colt are dependent on which platform I'm loading them for. (I just know some you will cringe at the word, "platform", so that's why I used it... :P ). The 240JHP for the Colt SAAs are designed for that cartridge and velocity range... the 240JHPs destined for the 1892 Rossi and 1885 are designed for the 45Magnum, not the 45Colt, are loaded to "Ruger" or +P pressures, and have a thicker jacket to withstand an higher impact speed and penetrate. I certainly don't want the bullet to "blow up" on contact with feral hogs...

So far, this is only theory on my part... but I'm pretty sure it's sound, in case I ever get that invite for a free hog hunt! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

405grn. Green box Remingtons. Hornaday's 325 flex tip. Winchester 300 grn silvertips. All will give the big bears a run for their money. 8)
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

As fabulous as the 45-70 is for everything from mastodons to squirrels, it would be nice if at least one maker would offer the 50 alaskan in some rifle. I can get an 1886 in demountable, 12" barrel, stainless, blacked out with a muzzle break, and that is just one maker, Chiappa. The 50 is a certainty and pretty much meets even African standards. You want to kill a bear, that is one thing, if you want to stop one, that is another, as with all large dangerous game. (Or so I have heard. We have Polar Bears in my province but I am as likely to see one as a Tarpon in Lake Ontario :)).
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

Well thanks for keeping this alive. With my Sharps, I'm keeping in BP as God made it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Remember one thing. The 45-70 was originally a military cartridge. But, it was not designed to kill a man, although it did admirably. It was designed to kill the horse under the man. Not only does shooting the horse put a man on foot, but you have a very good chance that the man will be seriously injured when the horse goes down, hopefully on top of said man.

Now to take the cartridge into it's civilian uses, remember the largest critters on earth have been taken handily with the 45-70. And this includes large bears.
Last edited by jeepnik on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

No bahrs here in the islands (my lucky rabbit's foot keeps them away) but we do have some large ornery boars some I've heard of and even seen that were pushing 600 pounds. The majority of my pigs over the past 40+ years were shot with my 1894 Marlin 44 mag and 240 grain JSPs all one shot drops though honestly my biggest was just a tad over 300.
The only load for my 45-70 (Smelly Nelly my sporter SMLE) is 400 grain hard-cast flat-point @ 1400 FPS, and I'm very confident it'll get the job done should an errant bahr decides he wants to test the power of my rabbit's foot and voyage to my rocky home in the middle of the Pacific. Bahrs beware! :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

You sleeping with one eye open these days, Ji? Ya never know....
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.