Added a S&W "Top Break" to the Collection......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Added a S&W "Top Break" to the Collection......

Post by Old No7 »

I had named Ysabel Kid's blackpowder revolver collection a "Sorority House" -- due to all the nipples he now has!

I'm not sure what he'll call my collection of Top Break Revolvers, but it has grown again... So let's see what clever names he can come up with...
:wink:

If you go back a few years, you'll see that I've posted some pix about the various old H&R Top Breaks I acquired to go along with my replica S&W No. 3 Schofield top break (made by Uberti). The Top Break bug bit me early, as an H&R 999 was the first handgun I bought when I became legal to buy one. With this new piece added to my collection, I've moved up from the H&Rs to the better quality S&Ws.

I have tentatively identified this one as a 2nd Model S&W No.2 (in caliber S&W .38), aka a "S&W DA 38", due to it having 2 pins in the frame (not 3), and the shape of the trigger and trigger guard (versus the later models). Based on that ID, I've dated this as between 1880 and 1884, as I read that #s 4,001 to 199,000 were made in those years. So this would most likely be an 1881 vintage.
S&W DA 38 01 (Small).JPG
S&W DA 38 02 (Small).JPG
S&W DA 38 03 (Small).JPG
S&W DA 38 04 (Small).JPG
1881... That's over 130 years ago!

Here are some close-up pix, so you can better see the edges of the piece.
S&W DA 38 05 (Small).JPG
S&W DA 38 06 (Small).JPG
S&W DA 38 07 (Small).JPG
The LGS where I got this "thought" it may have been reblued, but he wasn't 100% sure. And 4 or 5 other shooters I showed it too were split; some said yes (refinished), while others said no as the edges were pretty sharp.

As for me, I'm leaning towards it being reblued, but it seems whoever did it really took some care with it and did a really nice job! When I shine a bright LED flashlight at the piece, the nice blueing starts to appear "brownish", which makes me think it's been reblued.

I don't particularly mind if it was refinished though, as I was really taken by the overall finish and its great condition (as the bore and cylinders are MINT and it looks to be unfired). She locks up tight and has a nice crisp action -- just what you'd expect from a modern S&W revolver.

Now I think I'm hooked on the S&W Top Breaks and will stop collecting the lesser-quality (but still fun and interesting) H&R Models. Hmmm... Maybe a hammerless S&W in 32 or 38, blue or nickle, would make a nice companion piece to this one.

So... What do you guys/gals think...........

Reblued??? Condition overall???

Would you shoot it with Trail Boss or BP loads???

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: Added a S&W "Top Break" to the Collection......

Post by plowboy 45 »

Don't know what to say bout the finish
I do know this, it's a good lookin pistol
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Nice find; very nice find!

Trail Boss with lead!

I've shot Black Powder (BP) in revolvers -- cap and ball and cartridge. I really do not like the cleaning residue from all of the nooks and crannies on a revolver. When shooting BP in cartridges -- rifle, shotgun, or revolver, the brass must be deprimed and washed to remove the BP residue which will weaken the brass if not removed. Also if the cylinder gap (distance between the face of the cylinder and barrel) is tight, the BP residue can very well prevent the cylinder from turning when cocked.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That one is certainly in amazing shape. Enjoy!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I can't tell if its been reblued from the photos but it sure looks in fantastic condition. :D
I'm looking for a top break in .320 British, preferably American made, over here we can only collect them in obsolete calibers.... :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If that's the original finish that is one nice looking piece.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Very nice! I have a S&W Safety Hammer-less in 38 S&W that is a pleasure to shoot.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have nearly the identical pistol except mine is nickel and nowhere near the condition of yours. I shoot the belly gun side matches with it burning black powder substitutes.

I doubt that a refinisher would go to the trouble of recasing the hammer and trigger so I'm voting for original finish. Either way the thing to do is shoot it but stick to black or Pyrodex P. Heck, I even carry mine for social purposes sometimes.

I never worry about the cleaning process for black powder. You've got to do the same thing for the subs too and the age of these guns puts them out of smokeless range for me.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

plowboy 45 wrote:Don't know what to say bout the finish
I do know this, it's a good lookin pistol
Eggzackerly what I was going to say! I must add, that a refinish need not involve sanding unless the piece was pitted. I've seen a couple of refinish jobs where the owner just wanted an really neat, not well-used gun to look NEW again. As like me, they felt that if you're going to play a dandy/gambler/shopkeeper in 1885, you don't want your hardware to look 130 years old!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, now I need to think of some analogy for sure! :lol:

That is a beautiful top-break! I also have an Uberti Schofield reproduction, and can see how these could become addictive! I'll keep my eyes open for opportunities for you. A few years ago a friend of mine was selling a pair of them, beautiful condition, but I just didn't have the funds at the time.

Thanks for sharing!!!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Gamekeeper, the local gunshop has a consignment Webley.

Mark IV, .320, about a 3" barrel with a tiny grip. Civilian model obviously, rare as you can get. Hasn't moved in a year, nobody here either knows what it is, or has the $$$. The shop owner said I was the only guy who didn't need to see the tag to know what it was (from a complete aisle away....)
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

If nobody can tell the difference, what makes the difference? I think its a beaut! To heck with the naysayers. :lol: :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ya know... after having a second look ?? I'm thinking from looking at the recoil shield I can't tell if it's ever been fired. Are there any marks around the firing pin?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.